Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC
Take care Bruce, it's a ROUGH road to travel. Hope it works out well for you. My dad endured quad bypass ~15 years ago and is still going strong at 90.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 12:53 PM UTC
I just got in on this one. Don't know how I missed it, but I did. I got a few dozen or so that qualify for this one. Right off the top of my head here are a few...
PCM 1/32 Macchi 202...I don't even know where the box is that has the remaining pieces in it is....how sad is that?

Hasegawa 1/48 A-4C to be in Argentine markings...and wrong camo. Might just leave the camo and finish her out to hang from the ceiling.

Williams Brothers 1/72 C-46 Commando. Still lots to do on this one...engines, props, wheels, more painting, decals..etc...

Hopefully I can at least get one of these completed. This was part of my new years resolution..."Finish as many of my started, but not completed kits as I can". Made the same resolution in 2009 and had almost 40 on the list. I think I knocked out almost 20 of them...still plenty left to work on. "Q"
Here are a few more I just thought about...arrgh...

I bought this one in this condition as part of a lot of other kits...and it made the trip in the mail safely!

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 01:54 PM UTC
Matt, nice collection of projects and they look good so far. What pressure (10psi, 5psi) did you use for free hand on the A4?

Bob
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hi Bob, Thanks for the kudos. I usually shoot between 10 and 12 psi. Thanks again, "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
Matt, I'm really impressed with the C-46. I've got one aging in the stash. Looks like a monster to build. How was it?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I'm really impressed with the C-46. I've got one aging in the stash. Looks like a monster to build. How was it?

Thanks for the kind words on the C-46. It took a lot of work, but it was/is doable. All panel lines were sanded off so I had a clean slate to work with. I swapped out the kit canopy for a squadron one, and the masks I ordered didn't fit so I ended up masking it myself regardless. There is still a bit of a seam where the canopy and fuselage meet, but I can't get it any better without destroying things. The wings are tricky at the engine nacelles. There was a lot of putty, sand, putty, sand work involved. I was hoping to use this as a gauge for another one I want to build. I have one on hand that was going to be my mule for building some detailed wheel wells, cockpit, and landing gear. I might still entertain the thought, but it is really hard to do right now. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:37 PM UTC
Did very little on my Otaki P-47 since I dont like sanding

Photobucket
Photobucket

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC
You are a man after my own heart Bob. I too hate sanding and often don't bother with small gaps under wings etc where no one will ever see them.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 06:41 PM UTC
I went through my stash to find the kit I've done the most work on to enter here. The winner is DML's 1/200 B-2 Spirit/F-117A Nighthawk.

This is a picture of the kit as it stands now. There really isn't much to either. Essentially the fuselage halves of both were cemented together. I cut out the ceiling of the B-2s bomb bay to stick in lead weights to make it sit on its gear correctly. Evidently I had added some more weights but they made things worse. I managed to knock the back two off and now it should sit correctly. I just hope the nose gear can take it without bending/breaking. As you can see from the green, there are nice depressions to fill on the outside of the gear doors and bomb bay doors.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
I'm in with a1/72 Hasegawa P47D and a Tamiya Corsair, pics to follow.

But I hit a snag, maybe someone here can help me out.

Hasegawa decals from 1988 turn to instant confetti when exposed to water.

Anyone got any spare P47D decals for OD/Grey that they can part with cheap?

I was working on finishing the Hasegawa 1/72 P47D in OD and Grey with 2 bombs.
For what it's worth, I started out working toward using the yellow/black checkerboard version and painted the front end of the engine cowling red, but that's not a deal maker or breaker.
The kit decals that disintegrated were for the 325th fighter group Lt Col. Robert Baseler in the Italian theatre.

I'm not even going to try to use the rest of the markings, on magnification they're all fragmented as well.

Drop me an email [email protected] or a PM here.

Thanks,
Mike
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 08:03 AM UTC
Sorry I can't help with the decals mate, but have you tried spraying the sheet with clear then cutting them out? I am not 100% sure on what clear to use but I have heard the decals can be saved using this method.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry I can't help with the decals mate, but have you tried spraying the sheet with clear then cutting them out? I am not 100% sure on what clear to use but I have heard the decals can be saved using this method.

I've got some of the micro-scale liquid film I am going to try to save a couple of the stars and bars later tonight. I think I have a source for alternate markings.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC
Well, I think I found my candidate for finishing. I have been working on the Hobby Boss 1/72 Hind for the CAS campaign and recalled I had a larger 1/48 Monogram one under way at some point and was inspired to finish that one for this campaign. All the hard stuff has been done. Just need to do some fine tuning and she would be good to go. It has a Cobra CO. cockpit installed, and the troop bay has been detailed with some scratched items. I re-scribed all the panel lines and detailed the rotor head, but it looks like it will need to be cleaned up a bit due some damage over the years. This really is a great kit for its age. Had one years ago the crashed and burned during a contest. Still have some of its parts laying around here somewhere. "Q"

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Matthew,
That MIL kit looks pretty cool. I've loved those since seeing Red Dawn in the 1980's (a badly disguised US helicopter used in that movie).
The rotor head looks nice and busy, even if the lines are broken and some putty is cracking on you there. Shouldn't be too hard to get back in order. I like what you've done so far, and I assume you've learned more tricks since putting it aside (that's the beauty I've found when I return to old kits).
thanks,
Sean.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos. Hoping to get re-energized on this one soon. The Helo's in Red Dawn were Aérospatiale 330 Pumas with vismod kits added. Not a bad likeness to an "A" model Hind, but the wheel sponsons and tail boom give it away. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hello.
I've put on the Campaign Leader hat for this one, so I thought I'd give it a bump.
I'll make the usual cry for a ribbon or banner suggestion-- I saw that robot_ signed up and offered a good ribbon, so anyone opposed?
I myself had better get back to my own Hangar Queen, since it had fallen back behind 3 or so other campaigns, but now I have to put on my game face!
We have 40 signed up, and 19 submitted starting photos here, including the one guy who started but did not sign up .
Thanks,
Sean.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
Throwing in an idea for a banner on this one:
HaQuBanner_2
If nobody objects after a week or so, I'll post it as official.
thanks,
Sean.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 11:07 AM UTC
I like it. Most of my projects feel that way.....

Now if we can just get the code that Jim uses to rotate all the site banners in his sig pane, I can show off what I'm working on.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 06:12 PM UTC
Banner looks good to me. Anxiously waiting on getting home from my trip to Italy so I can get back to building. I'm about full of pasta and wine for the time being.
Gorgeous country to see though! "Q"
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now if we can just get the code that Jim uses to rotate all the site banners in his sig pane, I can show off what I'm working on.

there no code involved just some cleaver photoshopping and creating an animated gif.. Just google how to create animated gifs for your image program.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just google how to create animated gifs for your image program

I guess half of life really is knowing what to Google...

I'll give it a try..

Meanwhile progress on two hanger queens!
First up Hawk SBD with white underside paint added:

top view

Dragging this one along whether it likes it or not, Airfix A4D-1:

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just google how to create animated gifs for your image program

I guess half of life really is knowing what to Google...

no problems here you go google search

I used the first hit that came back but found there was a slight variations for my version of photoshop (CS5 master suite). at step two I had to select the 'animation window' rather than 'Image Ready'

and the last step instead of 'save optimised as' i had to choose 'save for web & devices'

JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 06:31 AM UTC
Great job so far everybody! I am finally able to re-start my builds after a few months hiatus due to work/health stuff.

I want to change my "hangar queen" entry to the Revell P-51D I did not complete for the Mustang GB. I started a NEW Revell 1:48 P-51D I will finish as a Blue Nose bird; the first build will be the old reliable BigbeautifulDoll. So, the second one is the official entry for this campaign, even though I am building them at the same time now.

I took the seat off from the old build, bore some holes on the side and made some belts out of tape:

this was the fuselage state when construction was stopped:

this weekend I am working on the pit and IP, and also want to add some weathering to the interior. pics to follow!

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 09:07 AM UTC
James, if I followed all that then your Hangar Queen is Big Beautiful Doll? Sounds good! The world needs a steady stream of P-51D Big Beautiful Dolls . Really though, these older kits are being built better with new techniques all the time, and it'll be good to see you finish her up (and the new blue-nose too!)
Thanks,
Sean
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Well, I changed my mind in regards to what I am going to deal with finishing. I pulled the C-46 off the shelves and will tackle that. It has been lingering there for far too long and needs to be shown some love. Will get some pics up soon. Thanks, "Q"