_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen Campaign
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 03:28 PM UTC
Attention all wrench-turners! Welcome to your Hangar Queen Campaign! Your crew chief is Bruce Miller, a.k.a. grayghost666.
Operational Overview
The hangar Queen was a aircraft that was used for parts to make other planes operational. For this campaign you ( the builder) must resurrect the Hangar Queen and get it flying.

The Rules and Regs
The rules are simple
1) The model must be an build started, but not finished and must be site specific.
2) A photo must be posted in the thread of your half finished build before you restart the build.
3) WIP's are greatly encouraged
4) Multiple builds are allowed, But only 1 ribbon will be awarded
5) 2 clear photo's of your finished must be posted in the threads and the gallery for your ribbon
6) Any and all aircraft are allowed from the first flight to space travel to science fiction.
7) I reserve the right to add rules if needed.
8) Have fun.

OPERATION: Hangar Queen
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
As this is the official thread, this is my Queen, Eduard Sopwith F1 Camel 1:48 part built during Camel v Fokker campaign but not finished. Includes Eduard pe bits. Partly rigged but still plenty to do.

JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
Official "pre-start" pics: couple RUFEs (Zeros on floats) originally for the Sea Planes campaigns. Kits are the old Tamiya 1:48

Floats assembled:

Cockpit assembled:

Bombs and bomb racks fixed and assembled:

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC
Here is my entry..the 1/72 scale Special Hobby kit of the SuperCorsair..basecoats applied to the intirior, engine basically complete..
Victor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well here is my roughly half finished Airfix 1/48 DH Mosquito, it's one i've been doing bits and peices to for the last 2 years. So I guess it's time to finally finish it.

Victor
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 06:21 AM UTC
My Shelf (Hangar) Queens:

It's a good thing this campaign is a year long, it may take me that long to finish both of these.

The He-178 is a true Hangar Queen in the sense that I cannibalized some of the PE to complete another model.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 07:24 AM UTC
Okay...it was difficult choosing which to do, I have a wealth of unfinished kits but I plumped for this...

P-$& Thunderbolt Razorback 1:32 by Trumpeter

Construction was halted upon receipt of WNW DVas...time to bring the Jug back to the bench I think.

I have lots of PE for her, resin wheels etc .

Rather than build one of my stalled WW1 A/C as I have blogs running for most of those....but watch this splace..

Keith
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hello Keith,
You have 1 year to get as many done as you like,
If you wish post a like to your WW1 blogs here and restart them also.
Cheers,
Bruce
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
Progress on the Albi and the Heinkel:

Half an engine, half a cockpit, half a radiator, half an airplane coming along.

Ditto (minus the engine and radiator, plus one fabricated half a wing)
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 04:32 PM UTC
I've just enlisted for this, excellent idea Bruce !!

My build will be the Cant Z506B that I started, ironically, for your Seaplanes Campaign. I will post some progress pics shortly.

Cheers, D
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Ok work has resumed and here are a couple of in progress pics.

a closeup of the gun sight nothing special, but this is the best one I have ever done. I think I've figured this fiddly bit out.

a few parts i've painted and the canopy all masked up, as you can see I use the many many peices of small tape method.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Gang

I just stumbled across your campaign and as I just finsihed such a project I would like to ask if this would count :

Albatros D.V Eduard

(this was probably the oldes started kit I had ... at least one of those. Resumed on 17th or 18th September 2010 . If not I have plenty of other projects .....

Before I forget: what is the meaning behind the "site specific" rule (I would like to write a build report for "my own" site (IPMS Deutschland) and post it there in the comming weeks)

all the best

Steffen
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hello Steffen,
I am sorry , But no that build is not allowed. The rules state that you must post a photo in the thread of your incomplete build before you restart the build. Any other build is allowed if you post a photo is posted first.
As for site specific means that if it flies it is allowed. No ground vehicles, ships, figures, ETC.
Cheers,
Bruce
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
Any thoughts on ribbons?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Steffen,
I am sorry , But no that build is not allowed. The rules state that you must post a photo in the thread of your incomplete build before you restart the build. Any other build is allowed if you post a photo is posted first.
As for site specific means that if it flies it is allowed. No ground vehicles, ships, figures, ETC.
Cheers,
Bruce

Err, what is the problem?

This it what it looked in September2009 before my first recovery started.

This is what the model looked like for the past year.

As you see from the posting date I restarted again on the 17th and 18th September 2010 with some new paint:

Are you saying I lie to you? or is it just because I did not post here but in the BLog.

all the best

Steffen

grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hello Steffen,
When I looked at your link on page 2 it looked like the plane was done, The wheels painted and markings on it. I may have went to the wrong thread. If I did I am sorry about saying no to your build,
The photo's of the plane that you have posted here are OK for the campaign,
I am trying to stop some members( Not You) that have finished a build years ago and dust it off saying this is the build for such and such campaign for the ribbon.
There has been a few cases showing up on the other sites of members doing that. Why they do that is beyond me.
All of the campaigns I have run are for for learning other ways of making models and to have fun.
I do not believe that you lied to me, Maybe a misconnection of what you wanted to do and me missing what you wanted to do.
So have fun and please post your progress here at at the other blog so there is no misunderstandings.
Cheers,
Bruce
grayghost666
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any thoughts on ribbons?

Hello Ben,
Looks great to me, But I do not know how to post it to the campaign page.
Maybe a staff member can do it.
Thanks for the ribbon,
Cheers,
Bruce
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hello Bruce

The model is actually done as of Friday morning when I took the pictures that you see in the thread I posted above. When I visited the campaign page i saw the starting date was 15th September which fit very nicely (by accident) with the time I resumed my loooong project (as mentioned on the 17th or 18th).

I will probably have one or another build for this campaign, but I thought it would be an encouragement for the others when they see such a long term build can actually be finished in a short time when you have some motivation or inspiration (which was in my case the build of Eduards new Oeffag Albatros) .... AND I missed to finish both "Get the job done" deadlines

all the best

Steffen
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:49 PM UTC
Steffen,

If you're like me you've probably got a closet full of 'not-yet-finished' kits. This campaign is a solid year long one. Why not just grab another one (or two) this year and then you can share your progress with us.

Cheers,
Fred
cinzano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
AeroScale: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
OK,

Here is my current list of "Hanger Queens". (please note that in the course of the coming year that this list of candidates may grow still further)

Each one has a story but they all share the same limbo as of now. Let's see how many of these birds I can get back on the flight line before the campaign is up.

Cheers,
Fred
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:56 PM UTC
Here's where I'm starting. Maybe I can finish one of these in the next year
HeyLoad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Here is my entry. It is the Hasegawa 1/48 P-40E Warhawk. I put it aside when I got tired of all the sanding of the various fuselage parts which are made that way so that different versions can be constructed. Anyway, I intend to finish it just out of the box as a Flying Tiger of 23rd Fighter Group.

Tom

woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
Made some headway on the Albi. Added the 'half' rudder, tailskid, and upper engine cowling. Then did something I had never done before: scribed panel lines. They were not perfectly executed, are not in the exact correct locations, but they are better then the previous nothing.

Removed by original poster on 10/09/10 - 03:53:45 (GMT).
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 04:54 PM UTC
I'll be trying to finish one of these three kits for this campaign; a Monogram F-4C Phantom, a Monogram F-117, or and Airfix Etendard IVP. All are 1/48 and all were started for campaigns here on Aeroscale. Can't say which one will be done in the end.
 _GOTOTOP