_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1:48 Albatros D.III
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Damn I did it again

but I decided to use my "prehistoric aircraft"-drive to build models instead to fight it and build no models. So I started this model. I want to do Josef Mai's blue tailed Albatros ... we'll see if I finish this project or if it is another one for the "shelf of doom". I work on this for several days already so here are some pix I took during this period:

all the best

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 05:52 AM UTC
Steffan, you are lurking about this section quite a bit lately. You have a talent for Early aviation, You should take it up as a full time vocation. After all is said and done, is it more fun flying an aeroplane that is held together with with glue and bracing wires?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks Carl!

Well, I do not want to get stuck in just one field! At the moment I had some good experience with the Eduard WW1 fighters and thus built(d) these - though I rather want to build my P-38 - which is a project that bit my a$$ more than once.

I am sure once I have my Jagdtiger from Tamiya I will also have some spirit for 48scale armour again.... and jets are also fun and then there is a bunch of other stuff that is also well worth a build.

all the best

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:21 AM UTC
You should try Eduard's Dr.I or D.VII kits. They're great.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:26 AM UTC
I know, I have several of both.... I just completed the Pheon Jig yesterday .. I am just not totally sure if it corrects the length issue of the Dr.I u/c...

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know, I have several of both.... I just completed the Pheon Jig yesterday .. I am just not totally sure if it corrects the length issue of the Dr.I u/c. . .

Greetings Steffen here is a thread where I did a bit of a tutorial explaining how to fix the issue of the Eduard 1:48 Fokker Dr.I under carriage. I hope it helps.

Eduard 1:48 Dr.I
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC

Greetings Steffen,

Just a note of the colouring issue. The Alb. D. Types that had the three toned upper camouflage used light Brunswick Green, Venetian Red Brown, and Dk Green. The red brown was deleted after the 2nd production series in early 1917. The mauve replaced the light green in the middle of the first production of the Alb. D.V in the summer of 1917. Essentially the mauve was never used on the Johannistahl built Alb. D.III.

Lilac with the dk. green did get used on the first Schneidemuhl Alb. D.III (OAW) type in late 1917. For a colour reference please see my portfolio on the subject. Also the radiators were all double dipped in solder to seal the brass works.

Portfolio #1
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hello Stephen

Thanks for the hint re Dr.I!!

I do not quite understand what you are commenting on my camo. Are you saying mine is wrong? I did change the lt. green between the two pictures, because I found the lighter green a bit to vivid. So what shall I change?

Thanks and all the best

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC
For the three colour camouflage, your mauve / purple colour should be a red brown.

Since the D.II and early D.III served together it makes sense that their camouflage was similar. See here. Starting on about page 5.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
Cheers Stephen

Well that is red brown (it is Revells rust) Not sure if it is a matter of not calibrated hard ware on your end or photorgaphy on mine:

this is my plum blue

all the best

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Stephen

Well that is red brown (it is Revells rust) Not sure if it is a matter of not calibrated hard ware on your end or photorgaphy on mine. . .

all the best

Steffen

If that is rust on your end it looks like mauve on this end. Try Testors rust it is much closer. (Almost dead on.)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Again many thanks for the help and comments!!!! For the moment I stick with this one. I will take another picture tomorrow with both my wings in the same lighting conditions. The rust has no blue hue and I do not understand where your "purple" impression comes from.
I just have compared the wing with my picture and yours and though it is not as dark as your rusty brown it is darker than on the picture I posted (this is due to the rust being a flat colour while the lt. green is semigloss and the dark green gloss ... which leads to different appearance and "hue relation" on the photograph)

thanks again and I am looking discuss this further tomorrow with the new picture (it is 11PM here so no chance for a fast solution now )

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

Well I rather think it is a problem of your monitor settings, but again here is the picture. Sadly it is bad weather today and thus lighting is not really good.

Looking forward to your comment.

all the best

Steffen
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 08:22 PM UTC
In my eyes it´s looking good.Looking forward on this build.
Larsa
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 08:49 PM UTC
Thank you Lars! I find it o.k. too, but as Stephen is the expert his comment really makes me nervous.

Stephen, another question: did you rename some of my threads? ... just curious, because I normally name them "Aircraft Type - 1/48 ModelCompany" (Scale and company are sometimes vice versa) but my last posts are different (very different) so that I ask myself if I am nuts or if there are rules and regs that I do not know???

all the best

Steffen
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
Stephen might be the expert yes, but don´t forgot you´re the builder.Keep up the good work.
Larsa
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:36 PM UTC
Thanks again Lars!

But well, even if I am very limited in my knowledge and WWI abilities I want to do the model rather accurate in camo and markings.

I did proceed a bit. Yesterday evening I finished adding parts inside the pit and glued the fuselage together. Fit was not exceptional, but o.k. Still I had to sand a bit this morning and also added a bit of filler here and there. I also attached the tail surfaces (minus elevator which I will replace). Now I have to let the stuff dry until tomorrow, so that I can sand again and start on the wood finish...

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:45 PM UTC
Seems to me someone has caught the WWI bug , or at least for the time being .

She is looking good so far Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 12:01 AM UTC
Cheers Terri

see first post .... I "hate" it myself, but I cannot motivate for other stuff and thus it is WWI. But I got the Japo booklet on the Aviatik Berg D.I and II today and found out that I have some scratch building ahead so maybe I am cured soon

all the best

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Lars! I find it o.k. too, but as Stephen is the expert his comment really makes me nervous.

Stephen, another question: did you rename some of my threads? ... just curious, because I normally name them "Aircraft Type - 1/48 ModelCompany" (Scale and company are sometimes vice versa) but my last posts are different (very different) so that I ask myself if I am nuts or if there are rules and regs that I do not know???

all the best
Steffen

Sorry Steffen my intent is only to help not make you nervous. Model On!

Also yes since Oct. 2009 we are trying to format thread titles so they are easily remembered and retrieved for future reference. The search engine works better with this method. See the stickied post at the top of the forum "Whats happening here."
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Thank you Stephen!

As I wrote I want to get the c&m close to the original, so I do worry about wrong colours.
all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC
This is the work from the past hour

I documented it a bit more detailed, as I walked through this pretty fast with my Oeffag. I know this is surely not the coolest way nor the best, but it suits my style and it is fast. ... and it is not done yet. Darker washes and filter will follow.

all the best

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Nice trick on the wood areas, Steffen. Looks good and fast. Devlan Mud is a fix all, cure all solution in figure painting. Nice to know it also works for aircraft.

Looking forward to see more
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 01:53 AM UTC
Yep, I use it quite often ... and I rarely build figures

some more colour on the fuselage:

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 05:05 AM UTC
Last pic for today ... I attached the lower wing(s) .. I like it so far...

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP