_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1:48 Sopwith Triplane
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
This is my build for the contest taking place on Swanny's Models .
A really cool friend sent me the kit so I hope to do it some justice and not let him down .

This is one of Eduards older release , their second release of this kit which the mouldings are better and fewer PE parts . You do get the earlier tail plane as well as a resin one for the later production version .

This was to be out of box do to other more intense builds which are back logged at this moment waiting for ref's to come in .

I start off with the control surfaces on this build by freeing them from their parts . It is noted that anyone wishing to build this kit , one has to take care in removing the tail plane from it's pour block and when cutting the flaps away . The resin is thin and easly snaps if to much pressure is applied .

The aft section of the fuselage doesn't have the cut out showing the tail adjustment ( same as the pup ) The aft section will be cut out and the detail added . The bulkhead behide the pilot seat will also be replace . This is not soild so additional framing will need to be add . The floor board is another matter as well . but more on this later ........

Removed by original poster on 11/22/10 - 03:16:04 (GMT).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 03:42 PM UTC
Progress continues .....here is where I'm at so far .

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hey Terri,

The Sutton Farm harness came along very late in the war. If you can chop up the Eduard sets into just lap belts or shoulder and lap belts. None of the production Sopwith Triplanes had the Sutton harness.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Terri,

The Sutton Farm harness came along very late in the war. If you can chop up the Eduard sets into just lap belts or shoulder and lap belts. None of the production Sopwith Triplanes had the Sutton harness.

It was on my mind to mod the kit belts or use ones from the part box , but my mind was elsewhere ............just like now !
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi Terri

Wow cool to see you tackle a triplane You're off to a really good start too – your interior looks faboulous with the rigging and wood. I'm sure you'll do well in the contest.

Looking forward to more soon.

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri

Wow cool to see you tackle a triplane You're off to a really good start too – your interior looks faboulous with the rigging and wood. I'm sure you'll do well in the contest.

Looking forward to more soon.

Best Regards

Mikael

Thanks Mikael

To me it doesn't matter if I win or lose , it's all about having fun and sharing with others which is more rewarding to me in the end bring folks together
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
a sweet little thing and a very nice start. I never got hold off this kit, so I will follow you´r build with interest.

Larsa
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it's all about having fun and sharing with others which is more rewarding to me in the end bring folks together

Hi Terri: I like your attitude. I have always thought that is what a hobby is about, having fun, learning and sharing with others. Thank you for sharing your skills and talents with us. As I have always liked the Sopwith Triplane, and have two Roden 1/32nd issues and a couple of Aurora Issues, I will be watching your build with "keen interest". Also, good luck in the MOM contest. Your SE5 is a real show stopper.

Best
mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a sweet little thing and a very nice start. I never got hold off this kit, so I will follow you´r build with interest.

Larsa

Thank-you my friend ! It is a nice kit with fair detail and if you every get the chance I reconmmend you pick one up .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

it's all about having fun and sharing with others which is more rewarding to me in the end bring folks together

Hi Terri: I like your attitude. I have always thought that is what a hobby is about, having fun, learning and sharing with others. Thank you for sharing your skills and talents with us. As I have always liked the Sopwith Triplane, and have two Roden 1/32nd issues and a couple of Aurora Issues, I will be watching your build with "keen interest". Also, good luck in the MOM contest. Your SE5 is a real show stopper.

Best
mark

Thanks Mark , Looking forward to seeing you build Roden's Triphound .

i can say that this won't be the last one I will build . Would like to do the all the black flight tripes .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 04:17 AM UTC
Lovely work Terri. Another gem for your shelf coming along nicely.

I have this kit in the stash, much abused and spread through 2 or 3 other boxes..not sure if its all there even, parts mixed up with pup and other old eduards kits, watching your progress has me itching to see how much is missing after all.

I'm in total agreement about the reasons for entering Swanny's too...

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 06:18 PM UTC
Thanks Keith . Always nice to see folks support WW 1 modeling

You just have to love those days when you can spend most of the day in front of the bench .......

I sanded off the detail on the trutle deck and re-skinned it so it has the flare up at stablizer , added pins to the rudder fin with sits just ubove the surface ( to my surprise I did mess up the holes when drilling ) I did have to add a shim under the tail plane to bring it up 0.05 mm to match the new mods . lacing was added from Eduards line of PE parts . There are no air intakes for the carb so I made some from steel tubing cut to size . Rivet detail was also added along with lines scribed for the meatl panel up front on top of the fuselage .

A few touch up's need to be done and primer will go on to show the rest of the flaws before paint gets applied .

More to follow soon ...........................................................

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

Very nice update and progress, your extra attention to detail will pay off really well when you start painting this one, I think

Keep up the good work!

Best Regards

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hi Terri:

Looking good thus far! Looking forward to seeing more.

Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thank - you very much Mikael and Mark for the kind comments .

Primer is on rest of the flaws are fix and she is ready for masking the rib tapes in preperation of the per-shading .

Only the under side of the wings will show off more the the frame work of the wings while the upper surfaces will only have the ribs done .

More to follow soon as this project makes head way
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC
I have an up-date on this project , got the primer on and the per-shading done as well . She is ready for the rigging holes to be drill out .

Happy modelling in the new year everyone !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:35 AM UTC
You have quite a few great builds going on. I am happy to see you taking this old kit on. Nice.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Thanks Carl !

There is just something about them older kits
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:24 AM UTC
I know. I like them also.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 01:56 PM UTC
Okay here is where this build is at so far .

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC
Iuse Tamiya paints for the PC 10 by mixing a little of FD in with OD . Buff was used for the CDL and the black on the cowling and rudder fin was handed painted using Vallejo . One cote of future has been applied to protect the paint from scratches . Tamiya paints spray beautiful , but they are prone to marking very easily .

More to follow soon ......
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 01:45 PM UTC
Well some progress has been made , but with a few mishaps along the way .

While mounting the middle wings I drop it and broke off the right middle wing and snap the strut ( strut under repair )
To top that off , while cleaning out the mounting holes in the wing for the struts I ended up drilling all the way through the dam wing

This was one of those days that I should have stayed away from the work bench and spent the day in bed
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 03:51 PM UTC
Been there done that. But they sound like easy fixes. Youll have it in good order soon.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Sorry to hear of the mishaps Terri. I know what you mean though, some days everything I do seems to just go wrong. those days are best spent doing something else.

Hopefully easy fixes though and great progress otherwise.

K
 _GOTOTOP