_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Some questions on the DH 2
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hello everyone

I thoght it about time I tried my hands on a real stringbag, and a pusher at that. Now there has been some brilliant builds here on the DH 2 that has really inspired me.

I'm still in the very early stages of this one – but I plan to take a page from Keith's and Terri's books, among others, and build my own internal structure. I'm also planning to expose one of the sides of this structure, and dressing the other up usig tinfoil creating wrinkles as I go. – We'll see how that works out.

At the moment I'm trying to fathom the differences between the early and late version of this craft.

I'm keen to do DH2 5964 of Major Lanoe G Hawker of 24 sqn. – But would this mount be of the early configuration?

Anything of note in the marking of this 5964 – the profile I have, leaves the narcelle in linen, and seemingly the uppersurfaces on the wings in PC10. Then ofcourse the red/white struts and red wheels.

Would the internal structure have been left as "wood" or painted grey? I've seen both...

What hapens with the fabric as it attaches to the bottom plywood/frame? Does it wrap around the whole bottom, or is ot "nailed" to the edges – leaving the bottom exposed as plywood/Painted grey?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
It depends on which kit and what time of the war in this airframe's existance we are talking about. I am doing a 1:48 version and have the 1:32 waiting in the wings as it were. Try an Aeroscale search with Dehavilland DH 2 you should get a good start there.

In the first battle of the Somme, summer 1916, 24 RFC had all of their DH 2 aircraft overpainted on all uppersurfaces with PC 10, The exception of course was the tricolour rudder and in some cases the wheel covers.
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Wow Mikael! That will be an awsome build! What scale will it be? I have in the stash the Roden 1:32 that I am planning to build after the Albatros, so I'd love to have some pics of your build to use as reference... Can't wait to see on this build!

ciao
Edo
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
Larsa's 1:48 Eduard kit

1:48 Eduard wknd kit

Roden 1:32 kit

Eduard brass for the 1:32 Roden kit.

Scratch built DH 2 - brass & plastic

Larsa's 1:32 Roden kit

There is also Des Delatorre's 1:32 build
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 08:04 PM UTC
Stephen

– Thank You so much for digging these up for me – I sometimes forget the fact that I can google Aeroscale and get some really great hints and tips, not to say fantastic builds. And fantastic they really are! This will get me off to a good start.

Oh, yes – should have said, its the Roden 1:32 im tackling, so that review is a great help too! I'll start a buildlog around here once I get going properly.

Edo

– Thank You for the well wishing - I don't think I can add too much more to the already great hints and tips you get in the buildlinks above... But I really do want a DH 2 to add to the collection. I would like to have all of the important scouts from the Great War – so slowly I'm working my way backwards in time towards the Eindeckers.

Warm Regards

Mikael
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
U got Pm my friend

Larsa
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY