_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden1:48 Sopwith Strutter float plane
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
I start this project a long time ago . My intentions was to scratch the cockpit and have it at a single seat french version . The fit was to say the least not very well and ended back in it's box . While looking through the Datafile there is a pic of one on floats ! How cool is that . . .so finding new inspiration this what the project will be based on . I didn't really do anything with the pit other then a floor , seat, rudder bar, control column and the PE panel which comes with the kit . Nicely looking part but is way too big and is better suited for 32 scale not 48. Had to do lot's of trimming on this part to get it to fit .

The top decking came from the clear version of this kit with the rear cockpit flared over with plastic card and putty . I also replace the control surfaces on the tail plane . Roden's is way to thick and would take me until summer of next year with all the sanding . I use 0.5 thou card to replace this .

The floats I made from 20 thou card following the plans in the datafile on the Hanriot HD-1 . Next up will be making the struts for the floats . . .

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Terri,

Interesting project you've got going there – floatplanes are really cool Will be watching this one developing.

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC
Dragging one from the pile...something I'm finding myself doing lately.

I am sure this will be an interesting one to watch, as you work your magic on it.

As an aside, have you noticed how your skills have grown since you started this? Sometimes its quite alarming to pick something up you considered well made before and cast a critical eye over it now...I found a battered 1/48th DML DRi in Kempfs markings I remembered as being quite nice only to look at it in horror laughin.

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Thanks-you both for the kind comments , it's very much appreciated

That's one of the good things for sharing online with all the great folks , we all get to watch each other advance in our skills !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 02:59 PM UTC
Greetings Terri,

Its great to see you at it again. Bringing up a "Hangar Queen" for a fine finish. Model On!
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi Terri:

Nice to see you back on this one. I have the clear version of this kit, and like you, put it back in the box. I may drag it out at some time, but right now with 1/32nd clearly in the center ring; at least at my place, 1/48 will have to take the proverbial back seat. I will be following this to see you work your magic and apply your skills.

Best
Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Terri,

Its great to see you at it again. Bringing up a "Hangar Queen" for a fine finish. Model On!

It was one of those projects which gets pushed behind do to other works going on with less frustration . Feels good to be back on this build once more .

Once the struts are done for the floats it's on to the paint stage which will be done the same time as the tripehound or at least that is the plan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri:

Nice to see you back on this one. I have the clear version of this kit, and like you, put it back in the box. I may drag it out at some time, but right now with 1/32nd clearly in the center ring; at least at my place, 1/48 will have to take the proverbial back seat. I will be following this to see you work your magic and apply your skills.

Best
Mark

Hi Mark ! I have the clear version as well and I'm not overly impressed with the clear parts, fit of them is well the same as this kit . When I get around to building this one I think I will srcatch the fuselage and cockpit and same my self from frustration .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun from the Aeroscale reviews and threads.

Roden Sopwith 1.5 nightfighter

Roden 2 seater Blog from the Day of the Comet thread bottom of 1st page and all of page 2 &3.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC
Always nice to have reminders of past reviews when building kit's !

Thanks for bring them up Stephen

Progress has been made on the struts and the floats are now fixed in place .
The four main struts I made by placing a steel wire inside of brass tubing and then flating them in a vice . The sides of the struts were then filed down to take out the tool makes left by the vice with a fianl clean up with a sanding stick . These struts will provide the support and strength which is needed . The rest of the bracing I use plastic contrail strut of two different sizes . I now have a very strong structure . When i built the floats formers are in place where the pins in the struts meet the floats for a better mounting and to support the weight of the model .

Here is the under side

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC
Lovely work Terri, I'm really enjoying your progress on this build so far.

Cheers, D
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely work Terri, I'm really enjoying your progress on this build so far.

Cheers, D

Thanks D ! Nice to see you dropping in on us stringbaggers

Today will be painting up the engine and getting her installed with the cowl . Also been playing around with the rudder and fin for replacement of these parts as well which are overly thick . Once that is done it is time for primer to show all the errors of my ways !

I must though , she looks cool on floats !
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The four main struts I made by placing a steel wire inside of brass tubing and then flating them in a vice .

THAT is an awesome idea, Terri. I am happy to say I am totally stealing that one from you. Watching this build with keen interest, as I wrap my Christmas present to myself - Eduards 1/72 Spad Dual Combo kit. I'll need all the good ideas you can give me.

Cheers,
Mike

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Very, very impressive Terri, the vise and brasstube trick, is pure genius – and the structure is looking very sturdy, as well as very good!

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The four main struts I made by placing a steel wire inside of brass tubing and then flating them in a vice .

THAT is an awesome idea, Terri. I am happy to say I am totally stealing that one from you. Watching this build with keen interest, as I wrap my Christmas present to myself - Eduards 1/72 Spad Dual Combo kit. I'll need all the good ideas you can give me.

Cheers,
Mike

Thank-you Mike , but I can't take credit for the idea . I pick it up from a follow on the Aerodrome . His name is Wojtek . The work that this man can do with brass is just amazing ! I would like to pick up different size of tubing for a more wider range of constructing strut's and other verious details
Nice little X-mas gift for yourself . Nice to see you do one online

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very, very impressive Terri, the vise and brasstube trick, is pure genius – and the structure is looking very sturdy, as well as very good!

Best Regards

Mikael

Thank you Mikael , i'm very pleased on how this project is turning out . Quite enjoying it as well . However ; can't take credit for the idea . I learned it on the Drome ( see above post )

There is no flex in the structure at all and if I didn't have stronger strut's there would have been flex to it which , would have not been good I believe .

Also pleased that I one had to do make the parts once !
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 - 11:55 PM UTC

Hi Terri !

Been busy with graduate school and am almost done. It's nice to pop in and see what you are up to. What's extra special is that you've taken such a nice kit and made a unique modification on it. I'll be anxious to see the finished product!

Cheers! Johannes
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri !

Been busy with graduate school and am almost done. It's nice to pop in and see what you are up to. What's extra special is that you've taken such a nice kit and made a unique modification on it. I'll be anxious to see the finished product!

Cheers! Johannes

Hi Johannes ! nice to have you drop by ! Hope school is coming along alright for you .

I'm really into this project , ready for primer now which I hope to have on later on this evening .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
Primer is on and the per-shading finished . Next will be drilling all the rigging holes then the base colours . So I end this year with these pic's ....

more to come in the new year
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:00 PM UTC
Greetings Terri,

Tell them where you got your rib masking tapes and the widths you use.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Terri,

Tell them where you got your rib masking tapes and the widths you use.

Okay , okay you don't have to twist my arm ......hmmm you can let go now ... I need to type ......thank-you that's better

I used tamiya masking tape cut into thin strips for the ribs . I don't measure this was all done free hand with a steel ruler . I started on the top surface of the wings beginning at the trailing edge and wrapping over the leading edge finishing off at the trailing edge on the under side . I can three ribs with each strand of tape . The wing spars the tape is cut a little widered then the rib tapes starting from the fuselage working out to the wing tips and trimming off the excess . Next set of taping is the outer edges . Thinner stripes of tape was used here compared to the wing ribs . The thin strips will bend around the corners better the using a wide strand of tape .

Tail plane was done in the same manner as the main wings and the fuselage as well . Once all the tape is in place per-shading can start . For this I mixed Tamiya black with Tamiya flat brown . I started with spraying the ribs first then the wing spars followed by the edges of the wings . Some areas I went a little heavier to break up the uniform and to add constrat to the over all finish once the base coats are laid down .

If you are trying this yourself you don't have to get the the strips of masking tape the same , but you do want to be close with the consistent of them .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:10 AM UTC
Nice build Terri. I am sure this is going to be another showpiece for you. I love following your builds.

I have been toying with the wire inside a tube idea for a while now. I am trying to make it work on a stringbag. I guess great minds think alike...
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
Shaping up very nicely indeed Terri – that's one impressive masking job. Looking forward to more of your builds in 2011

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice build Terri. I am sure this is going to be another showpiece for you. I love following your builds.

I have been toying with the wire inside a tube idea for a while now. I am trying to make it work on a stringbag. I guess great minds think alike...

Thanks Carl ! Don't know about a show piece , but it is coming along very well so far .

i would like to get different sizes of brass tubing to do a wider range of struts .
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shaping up very nicely indeed Terri – that's one impressive masking job. Looking forward to more of your builds in 2011

Mikael

Thanks Mikael

Here is to 2011
 _GOTOTOP