_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Fokker D.VI warreni
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC
Greetings!!

While waiting for my Brisfit to dry I decided to start another model for this GB, the Roden 1/32 Fokker.VI.

I got all that done in just a few hours..

Nothing to report with the kit so far but it seems to be a repeat of the Dr.1 mostly.. and I will admit it is a nice change to do a simple, very little rigging kit for a change..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 05:54 PM UTC
Dear Mr Roden.

I have a number of your kits and have never had any problems before, but then I cam across a slight problem with my Fokker D.VI.

It would appear that the two fuselage sides have already suffered battle damage even though I opened the kit only yesterday. I must admit I did not even notice the problem until I had applied the glue and went to put the two halves together.

Could you please send me a whole new kit to make up for this problem?

Regards
Warren..
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:21 PM UTC
Ummmmm No, stop moaning and just fill it with cheese and forget about it.

Had similar issues with my tripe. worries me that stds arent as tight at Roden as they were.

K

Or maybe they're boost ports that enhance airflow over the tail plane and give her extra lift?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:05 PM UTC
I wasn't moaning.. sob sob...
I checked my Tripe and it seems fins, as does my DH2.. Hopefully I was the only unlucky one.
Roden are not the cheapest models around and I expect more from $50+ models. I have never had a problem with short shots with WNW, Dragon, Trumpeter, I can't even ever remember having the problem with any of the hundreds of Airfix kits I have built over the decades.
I have filled the offending holes and will see how they look a bit later.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Warren,

Built this kit a few years ago, when it first came out – remember it a pretty straightforward experience – and no gaping holes anywhere Perhaps the molds are not what they used to be?

Anyways – Looking forward to what you will make out of it – are you going to use the 4 col Loz in the kit or try to source some other stock?

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi Warren: I will be watching this with interest as well. I have this kit, and have almost started it. I find the lozenge decals daunting. I have had good luck with Roden kits, and I am sure that this is just an anamoly. A little filler, or better yet, go on their website and see if they will pop for a new fuselage.
Good luck either way.
Also, looking for progress on Sister Sara.

Best

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys
@ Mikael, it would appear that the moulds are still fine, just that they did not inject enough plastic to totally filll the mould. Maybe some air got trapped in their. Only thing is they should have picked it up in quality control. Oh well. Will be using the lozenge supplied as it looks like good quality. If it turns out to be rubbish I will buy some extra WNW stuff.

@Mark, I have already glued the fuselage together so I won't worry Roden but may send them an email. Sara is currently having her deck gap filled and should be back on the production queue very soon.

Speaking of the lozenge, I was laying in bed last night and it came to me that decals go over the whole aircraft so I may be lucky and the decals disguise the holes. I filled them last night and will take a look at them in a few minutes or so.

More progress pics soon..
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC
This may help.

Roden Fok.D.VI build
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This may help.

Roden Fok.D.VI build

It did help Stephen. I had read that before but had forgotten about it. Basically being a lazy so and so I, and as this is OOB (complete with holes!), I did not attack the interior with any gusto as you can't see it when the model is finished, AND as I said I am a lazy so and so..

As I type this dawn is just breaking and I can feel the pull of the modelling room.. but first I have to have some breakfast and take SWMBO to work..
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Mr Roden.

I have a number of your kits and have never had any problems before, but then I cam across a slight problem with my Fokker D.VI.

It would appear that the two fuselage sides have already suffered battle damage even though I opened the kit only yesterday. I must admit I did not even notice the problem until I had applied the glue and went to put the two halves together.

Could you please send me a who;e new kit to make up for this problem?

Regards
Warren..

Warren,
Could be worse; check out the DIII "fuselage malfunction" on my build. At least you're not faced with repairs after painting and woodgraining. (Yeah, I'm whining) I have a Tripehound, DRI, and the Encore DII in my stash pile and have not discovered any shortfalls to date although the level of scrutiny has been cursory at best. Hopefully this is not a trend as, on the very good side, the subjects are great although I've already accepted the fact that once the new WNW releases are out the Tripehound will be pushed into the very back of the cue.............and replaced with the WNW product.
On the good side, you are right; the lozenge should solve the problem. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Lance
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 12:52 PM UTC
Hi Lance.

I checked out my other Roden kits, seven or so, and found no other problems. I think it would be interesting to compare the WNW and Roden Tripes when the WNW one is released. I am a sucker for WNW and have all their releases so far, but have only built the first three and number four is in progress.

@Stephen, my lozenge decals are a bit brittle and don't like being cut while wet. Sounds like I have the old style ones. Do Roden sell their new ones seperately?

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hello again..

Well here are a few more progress pictures..

Holes all gone.. I filled them with PVA glue then applied Tamiya White Putty over that and sanded it a bit to smooth it out. Then I applied the decals straight over the top and it seems to have worked OK..

We vill see....
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .@Stephen, my lozenge decals are a bit brittle and don't like being cut while wet. Sounds like I have the old style ones. Do Roden sell their new ones seperately? . . ."

Send me a PM with your address. I asked for some decals from them to finish the rib tapes and they sent me a whole nother complete sleeve of decals. They are yours if you want them. By the way the horizontal tail unit was done as a separate unit from ther fuselage and the lozenge never matched at their unions.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Now here is a bit of fun.
Click here
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Mr Roden.

I cam across a slight problem with my Fokker D.VI.

Can you blame a guy for trying to save a little styrene in each mold? Over an entire production run that can add up to... well ...nothing. Look what happened to Firestone when they tried t save a dollars worth of steel in their radial belts.

Good progress.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks Marc.

Looks like I was trying to save on 'e's when I typed that.. You could also use Ford and their Pinto as a good example on false economies in saving.

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
It has been a while but.. some progress!!

Yes, I have got the undersides lozenged.. Unfortunately Roden give you enough lozenge to cover a 200mm width, but the main wing is 220mm wide.. So I had to use some spare stuff I have.

Some of the decals started lifting and I then remembered reading that sometimes decals don't like sticking to bare plastic, so I started to brush paint a grey undercoat the same colour as needed for the undercarriage struts etc. But I went to the Windex and removed it all when it turned out to not to want to brush on too well. I will spray the areas later.

More progress as it is made!!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:57 PM UTC
Well, I sprayed on said paint and applied the lozenge to the upper wing. Then I removed the lozenge from the upper wing and disposed of it as it was not good at all. Very brittle, never cut but shattered, and didn't want to conform to any shapes even though I bathed it in copious amounts of Micro-stuff.
Then I had an idea and went and grabbed my WNW Pfalz and determined that the one I want to build does not require lozenge. I then used the lozenge to cover the top wing and the difference was amazing. Chalk and cheese. Now I have to order a sheet of WNW lozenge so I can cover the rest of the fuselage and the upper side of the lower wings.
I will have lots left over for any other Roden kit I have that needs lozenge.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
G'day Warren:

You may want to check your references, not burst your bubble, but the WNW lozenge is 5 color and I think the Fokker DVI was 4 color. Unless WNW released a 4 color sheet. Otherwise, it is taking shape and yours is only the second one I have seen posted here on Aeroscale, yours and Stephens.

Best

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Warren:

You may want to check your references, not burst your bubble, but the WNW lozenge is 5 color and I think the Fokker DVI was 4 color. Unless WNW released a 4 color sheet. Otherwise, it is taking shape and yours is only the second one I have seen posted here on Aeroscale, yours and Stephens.

Best

Mark

References? What are they? I purchase so many kits I can't afford references too often..
I would say you are correct Mark, but I doubt that anyone except me will ever see the Fokker after it is finished, and I don't know where to get four colour lozenge.. I will try the Roden decals again on thenice angular fuselage, but I can always say the wing was recovered after the aircraft was damaged.. can't I??
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Oops.. I forgot that one of the esteemed persons here has sent me some more Roden lozenge which is supposed to be much better than the 'orrible ones I have at the moment. Will put this one aside until they arrive and have another go. I only have about 15 other WW1 kits ti choose from to build so it shouldn't be too much of a chore to wait... although I do hate having unfinished kits laying gathering dust..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Warren:

Best

Mark

OOOOO!!!!! I just found this Mark!!
"One interesting fact about DVIs is that it was quite the norm for the fuselage to be covered in 4 color lozenge fabric and the wings to be covered in 5 color fabric. Apparently the fuselages and wings were manufactured in separate plants, and then brought together in one plant to complete assembly of the aircraft."
Maybe, subconsciously, I remembered reading this? So my efforts in covering the wing with five colour has not been a phopar! The Gods have been kind this time..
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
In some cases that is true. The lozenge on some of these Fok. D.VI birds was mixed.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks for clarifying that Stephen. Yes Warren, the gods are smiling on you and so are we as you are coming along nicely on that model. Looking forward to more.

Best

Mark
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 12:26 AM UTC
5 color... 4 color... mixed... all the same... so much lozenge-lore to learn.
 _GOTOTOP