_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Battle of Midway, 1942 Campaign
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
I've been working on my Great Walls 1/48 TBD Devastator over in this build log:
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/192498#1611158

this is where she stands as of last sunday:

So far my thinking is to model the aircraft LCDR John C. Waldron's, CO of VT-8, flew during his fateful run on on the Japanese fleet.

Having just finished reading "shattered sword" by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully, I was still inspired to do an aircraft from VT-8, despite the more accurate findings the effects VT-8 had on the outcome of the battle that the above book highlights (written from the perspective of the goings on and operations of the Japanese fleet and debunking what was previously thought to be known about that in the west).

It is usually thought VT-8 brought down the CAP so the Dauntless dive bombers could get in unmolested, but "Shattered Sword" actually shows (via records from the Japanese carriers)that the CAP was increased between the time VT-8 attacked and the dive bombers arrived. The dive bombers got thru because everyone was looking for more torpedo attacks on the horizon, not looking up for dive bombers (a version of so-called "target fixation" - 'wow, look at all those American torpedo planes being shot down - HEY! where did all these dive bombers come from???!!!???')

VT-8s real contribution was keeping the Japanese fleet maneuvering and cycling their CAP for an extended time (something like 20 minutes, followed on by a similarly drawn out and futile but identically valuable attack by VT-6) instead of spotting the strike aircraft intended to go after the American carriers. By keeping pressure on the Japanese, even if by ineffective attacks, the doctrine under which the Japanese operated at the time (combined massive airstrikes coordinated across all carriers with no individual initiative allowed from separate carrier commanders) prevented them from having time to coordinate in a timely fashion and bought the American side just enough time to strike decisively BEFORE the Japanese could launch a powerful combined offensive strike against US naval forces.

Had Waldron followed orders and gone the same direction the rest of the aircraft from Hornet went, they would have missed the battle entirely (just as the rest of Hornet's forces did) and it is very possible this would have allowed Admiral Nagumo enough breathing room to order the strike aircraft intended to go against the US carriers to be spotted on deck and prepped for launch.

So this build is dedicated to a commanding officer who was savvy enough to know when not to follow orders, even though he knew it meant no fighter cover and no good chance of survival when it came down to the line.

so a question for any of you still reading who might know - would Waldon's a/c be marked "T-16" or just "16"? I am fairly certain "8-T-16" is incorrect for this particular a/c, and "T-16" is popular and most photos i have seen of VT-8 a/c have "T-#", but i have not seen 16, so can't be sure. Here is the best photo I can find of the a/c, taken as they are lifting off to go die in battle:

At least it tells me which of the 2 or 3 possible national insignia marking schemes possible to use, but i can't make out the numbering schema. any better copies of this photo out there?

I also don't know if i need to be concerned about depicting red and white rudder stripes that were painted over earlier in the year, or if this a/c had been thru an overhaul lately (in which case no evidence of the rudder stripes as they were supposedly thoroughly stripped and repainted). The above picture is too dark and grainy to help with that. Given the older insignia pattern, it may well be this aircraft was not overhauled (apparently many aircraft that were overhauled after the markings were changed received the large insignia, but i am not sure that is entirely true - i think there was some time between the removal of the red and white stripe and red centers to the stars and the time they started with the larger markings and perhaps this a/c was overhauled between those two dates, but i don't really have any good notion if that is possible)
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 09:50 AM UTC
at any rate, this scheme is clearly wrong if the picture in the above post is indeed Waldron's (I tend to believe Wikipedia a bit more than Great Wall, but nothing is for sure):
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
AeroScale: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 01:23 AM UTC
Got some more work done...the delay was the dang'd canopy; I really don't like painting those (then I saw a post about using Bare Metal Foil).

Canopy is done, Future is on for the decals, prop is done (sans some touch up). More to follow!

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 10:29 AM UTC
So....some work done!

Top and bottom Japanese "roundels" were airbrushed, side "roundels" and band were the decals:

Yellowish bands were AB'd too (Tamiya Yellow-Green mixed with a bit of Lemon Yellow - to lighten):

Close to finish line!

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:37 AM UTC
Sprayed the Testor's Flat Lacquer (nice and shiney!):

And it dried. Added the cowling and prop and windscreens:

Ditto (with some Groundie stuff in the background [cleaned off the bench too!!]):

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC
Callin' Mr. Z done:

Mike
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC
Nice job Mike, and looking good Vance!

Only a bit more than a week left everyone! I was painting my SBD today and discovered I'd lost one of the canopy pieces. This may mean I don't get done with that one in time, barring a miracle of part-finding (though I have the F2A done already). But that doesn't give the rest of you any excuses! Let's finish off the Battle of Midway Campaign with a flourish!

Michael
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:23 PM UTC
I'm having hangups with the PE on my 1/700 Ayanami build. I will not be using PE in this scale again for a long time, if ever
dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi,

I´m going to begin this campaign with a Tamiya 1/48 N1K1 Shiden,

dcandal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 918 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
I´ll begin with the cokpit. The kit has a good detail one,

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I´m going to begin this campaign with a Tamiya 1/48 N1K1 Shiden,

Daniel,

I'm afraid this is the Battle of Midway campaign and I don't think the Shiden was in service in June of 1942. Perhaps you meant to post this in the Fighters Campaign?

Michael [email protected]
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC
Everyone,

A request has been made for an extension. What do you all think?

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
I guess, officially, no extensions allowed. So one day left everyone! Six completed models in the gallery so far, if you're finished be sure to check if yours is in there!

Michael
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
Thanks Michael for this great campaign. I wouldnt mind more of this, for Coral Sea, Guadalcanal and so on in the future. Oh, and one more thing, is it still possible to upload pictures to the gallery ? I somehow forgott to upload the Val there AGAIN. For some reason I always forget to upload the end picture to the gallery.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
I should have opted in for the extension - I destroyed my right knee 10 days ago and am just now able to get back to my build. i guess i'll keep plugging away and finish it when i can regardless.

-v-
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Michael for this great campaign. I wouldnt mind more of this, for Coral Sea, Guadalcanal and so on in the future. Oh, and one more thing, is it still possible to upload pictures to the gallery ? I somehow forgott to upload the Val there AGAIN. For some reason I always forget to upload the end picture to the gallery.

Naseby, As far as I know, the gallery is still open!

Vance, Sorry about your leg man! Better luck next time!

Anyone else? Last day!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
Well folks, 70 years ago the Japanese carriers Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu and Soryu as well as the USS Yorktown were gone. The remains of the Japanese Fleet were on their way back to Japan and the rest of the US Fleet was on its way back to Pearl Harbor. The news to be delivered by each was very different. The momentum of World War II in the Pacific was to change dramatically from now on.

Here in 2012 the Battle of Midway Campaign is officially over. If you haven't posted to the gallery yet, you might want to do that as I'll be doing the ribbons soon. Thanks to all who participated for a great campaign!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
All right everyone, now hear this!

I have given out awards to everyone who has posted pictures in the gallery. If you don't have an award, it's because you didn't post! Now I will be keeping an eye on it for a while yet for you late poster types, but you might want to shoot me a PM to remind me.

Congrats to TacFireGuru, Mycroft, Windysean, 611_sqn and Flyboy92187 for your great models!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP