_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wing Alignment Question
rogerp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
I am about to embark on my very first WW1 aircraft - WNW Albatross Dva. I will be building "Stropp" but not sure about what version - even though I live very close to the NASM and the "Stropp" on display I am leaning towards building it in the original markings and wing colors.

I am seeking suggestions for alignment of WW1 aircraft wings. Is a jig necessary? Are retail jigs available, etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Roger, the D.Va was my 1st WNW kit too. i had some issues with the wings alignment. Easiest thing to do is to link you over the the page in the build thread that hows what i did, with the the help and advice from the crew here, as far as fixing the dihedral and making a jig. A little more than half way down the page.

Click Here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 05:35 AM UTC
To further answer your question; Yes, there are commercial jigs available, My favorite is one made from Lego blocks. Pretty cheap too. But you will find that the WNW kits go together pretty well. Like Marc says just check his or some of the other builds done here and you should have a smooth build.
rogerp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 06:12 AM UTC
Thanks Marc and Stephen!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 04:12 PM UTC
Roger,
I invested in the Aeroclub version, wonderful tool however, as mentioned by Stephen, most of the WNW kits fit together with little or no requirement for a jig, they are just that good. I did use mine on my earlier Roden Alb. DIII, it was an absolute godsend on that occasion. Going one step further, I also like the simple home made jigs such as the lego blocks mentioned by Stephen. I just used a very simple home made "Template/Jig" on my WNW Pup to align the cabanne struts that looks as if I borrowed it from Marc's (Wingnut's) Roland version. I swear we were both cutting / drilling at the exact same time thousands of miles apart. Will post a photo or two tomorrow on my KOTs Build Thread.
Short answer, like any modeling tool, you can never have enuff IMHO. I'd still spend the $ on the complicated commercial version to have it for the one or two occasions when it's the only solution however I'd strive to use the simplest (Home made) versions where/when able.

Cheers,
Lance
rogerp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hello Roger – I built one myself out of Lego – works fine, and fun to do – here's a pic

Best Regards

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP