_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Post WWI
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
After WWI, did the French aircraft the LaFayette Escadrille used, return to the U.S.A.

MT Hopper
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 03:20 PM UTC
My guess would be yes, since the Lafayette Escadrille was transferred from French command to the AEF before the end of the war. I'd wait for Stephen to comment though...he's the keeper of all WWI knowledge for this site!
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 09:08 PM UTC
Thanks Robby. I knew the American Escadrille became the LaFayete Escadrille and I believe that begat the 103 Aero Squadron which was renamed the 104th Sqadron. Then someone asked me what about the aircraft and I realized I didn't know. Hence the query.

Cheers
Will
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 10:56 PM UTC
The AEF aircraft after the Armistice were either burned in the million dollar bonfire or sold to small European countries to flesh out their fledgling air forces. Only minor examples were sent home. Mostly captured aircraft. Several types that were just coming off the factory floor were shipped directly from there for testing By NACA or at McCook field. Typically the USA wanted new SE 5a types Post war for fighter units.
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The AEF aircraft after the Armistice were either burned in the million dollar bonfire or sold to small European countries to flesh out their fledgling air forces. Only minor examples were sent home. Mostly captured aircraft. Several types that were just coming off the factory floor were shipped directly from there for testing By NACA or at McCook field. Typically the USA wanted new SE 5a types Post war for fighter units.

Thanks Stephen. Forgive my newbie questions, but, million dollar bonfire? You mean they actually burnt some aircraft?
What has added fuel to this fire is this.
A chap on another forum is building a post WWI diorama and in a Maine backyard is a covered over Nieuport 17. Another member suggested it would be exceptional to find such a situation in 1920. I foolishly said I know the escdrille was transferred to the AEF and has a distinguished lineage, but thats a piece of paper and some good people. What about the actual aircraft? An "authority" promptly reamed me a new one for even thinking the actual aircraft did not come back to the U.S. Now my curiosity is aroused and I would like to know what actually happened with the real aircraft involved. Is there a reference for the aircrafts subsequent fate (other than googling LaFayette)?

Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
William,
History is replete with examples of the destruction of (now) vintage aircraft so I would not be surprised if many were burned or otherwise destroyed post conflict.
In the late 50's when I was a kid I was able to "rescue" an RCN Seafire Mk15 (Ser # PR 503) in Halifax along with two plane crazy buddies. It was being used as a firefighter training aid at the Canadian Shearwater Naval Air Station and all but destroyed. We paid a dollar for it and between the Base Officials and some charitable help locally moved it to Bedford, dis-assembled and inventoried the pieces, and hoped to some day restore it. Later, when we all went about our careers and moved on it eventually went to the Canadian Warplane Heritage in Hamilton Ontario and as of 1989 was on an intermittant restoration plan. The Jan/Feb.1989 issue of Air Progress Warbirds has a feature article on it (I have a copy)
Not an Early Aviation subject but one beautiful old warbird I am proud to have helped rescue from the garbage heap!
Given this experience I can personally attest to the destruction of genuine bits of history when they are no longer required. I suspect some more knowlegable member may confirm the fate of the Lafayette birds as destroyed/surplus to requirements.
As an aside, any Ontario members have a location or status update on this bird?

Cheers,
Lance (in a way,I know!)
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC
Thanks Lance. Ah Shearwater, Point Pleasant Park, Navy food, my first Russian Trawler, Greenwood, contact training, 14 hour patrols...................... Wait a minute! Oh yeah! Integration of the Armed Forces. Right I remember now. Providing entertainment for my colleagues in the Navy and then later in the Land Element. Those little Army choppers sure flew fast.......and REALLY close to the ground. Having me be the first to jump out the door and if I didn't sink into the ground or too far into the snow then the chopper could land, else all they lost was an Air Element guy.Right, back to regular programming.

Cheers
Will
remember the Bonnie
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Stephen. Forgive my newbie questions, but, million dollar bonfire? You mean they actually burnt some aircraft?
What has added fuel to this fire is this.
A chap on another forum is building a post WWI diorama and in a Maine backyard is a covered over Nieuport 17. Another member suggested it would be exceptional to find such a situation in 1920. I foolishly said I know the escdrille was transferred to the AEF and has a distinguished lineage, but thats a piece of paper and some good people. What about the actual aircraft? An "authority" promptly reamed me a new one for even thinking the actual aircraft did not come back to the U.S. Now my curiosity is aroused and I would like to know what actually happened with the real aircraft involved. Is there a reference for the aircrafts subsequent fate (other than googling LaFayette)?

Will

Following the end of the First World War, America had a large surplus of DH-4, Spad,Sopwith and SE 5a types and with the improved versions becoming available, although none had been shipped to France. It was therefore decided that there was no point in returning aircraft across the Atlantic, so those remaining in France, together with other obsolete observation and trainer aircraft were burned in what became known as the"Million Dollar Bonfire"and more recently as the "Billion Dollar Bonfire".

Swanborough, F.G. and Peter M. Bowers. United States Military Aircraft since 1909. London: Putnam, 1963.
Swanborough Gordon and Peter M. Bowers. United States Naval Aircraft since 1911. London: Putnam, Second edition, 1976. ISBN 0-370-10054-9.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19766315/American-Eagles-US-Aviation-in-World-War-I-Part-II
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC
I learned something today! Thanks Stephen...I knew you'd come through!
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC
Thank You VERY MUCH Stephen. I don't mind being corrected but when on the other forum I prefaced with, believe I am no expert and of very little knowledge, I disliked being reamed out rather than corrected. Sheepishly after reading your posts I vaguely recalled hearing about The Million Dollar Bonfire.
Coincidentally, today in town, a new memorial to Lt. Col. William Barker (Billy Barker) of WWI note, was unveiled by his son.
Again many thanks,

Will
Per Ardua Ad Astra
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 02:52 PM UTC
I understand the whole issue of being chewed out. No question "on topic" is too basic to deserve a civil answer. Though I want to be the first to say I don't know it all. I also like to let others jump in with their two cents. I don't need to be the only voice chiming in here. The best portion of this forum are the good folk that just want to enjoy a build and learn. Always room at the mess table for one more. Model On!

By the way, Col. Barker, now thats a fascinating subject! The boys of JG III did not soon forget Oct 27 1918 and the man that cut through their stepped formations cutting like a hot knife into butter.

#47. 27 Oct 1918 0825 RAF 201 Sopwith Snipe (E8102) Rumpler C Mormal Woods
#48. 27 Oct 1918 0830 RAF 201 Sopwith Snipe (E8102) Fokker D.VII Mormal Woods
#49. 27 Oct 1918 0830 RAF 201 Sopwith Snipe (E8102) Fokker D.VII Mormal Woods
#50. 27 Oct 1918 0830 RAF 201 Sopwith Snipe (E8102) Fokker D.VII Mormal Woods
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 03:05 PM UTC
Thank you I fall into the learning catagory.

Will
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 03:32 PM UTC
Will,
I'll send you a PM as we were probably serving down east at the same time. (64 to 70 in Greenwood on my part) Be nice to compare notes.
I too had never heard of the "million dollar bonfire" , what an absolutely depressing picture that is.
Now, most important, regarding "getting reamed out on the other site".........
1. Folks here are much better then that and then some;
2. I've asked and/ or said a lot of dumb things in my short time here and never been treated with other then totally constructive and helpful responses and respect; and
3. I'd advise you to spend most of your time here; you'll like the atmosphere and particularly the people much better. (IMHO there's as much knowlege or more here then "over there")
Welcome to our little happy place; it works wonders for me!

Cheers,
Lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 04:10 PM UTC
Bill Barker was truly one of the great ones. Thanks for your posting Stephen, it's fairly well acknowleged that we Canadians do not honor our heros as well as we should or, as in this case, certainly take our time!
I had the pleasure of attending a Mess Dinner a few years back and meeting the author of "Barker V.C.", Wayne Ralph, who was the events Guest Speaker. Learned a great deal from Wayne about Canada's most decorated soldier and also about the art of writing such works; I was truly blown away by the time involved in researching such a project. I believe he did a presentation in the USA just prior, Cross and Cockade maybe? (I recall we were sipping single malt thus the fine details escape me!)
So, ask me what sceme I'll be using on the WNW Snipe when it's available!?

Cheers, (& now closer to topic)
Lance
flypaper
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC
The aircraft used by the American Volunteers stayed where they were, in French hands, the unit was a French Esc and under French control. It was just the men went over to US Aero Squadrons.Since it was war time it would have been stupid to trash these aircraft because the pilots left. The ex-Volunteer Esc was restocked with French pilots and continued to fly till the end of the war.

Flypaper
flypaper
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
Yes, many surplus aircraft were destroyed in Europe by the US government at the close of the war, but, many did make it back to the US mainland. The SE5A in service with US squadrons n France plus an additional order of 100 and 50 more to be used as spares saw service in the US as front line pursuit aircraft, and later as pursuit trainers. Spad XIII (not as numerous) also saw service in the US, HD1, N28, Sopwith 1&1/2 strutter also saw service with the US Navy, the N28 forming the Navy's first fighter squadron.

The SE5A soldiered on along with the Spad XIII until 1924 with the delivery of the Thomas Morse MB-3A.

Flypaper
flypaper
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 07:26 AM UTC
Last sentence should be MB-3A not MB-4A.]
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The aircraft used by the American Volunteers stayed where they were, in French hands, the unit was a French Esc and under French control. It was just the men went over to US Aero Squadrons.Since it was war time it would have been stupid to trash these aircraft because the pilots left. The ex-Volunteer Esc was restocked with French pilots and continued to fly till the end of the war. Flypaper

Quoted Text

Thanks Robby. I knew the American Escadrille became the LaFayete Escadrille and I believe that begat the 103 Aero Squadron . . . Then someone asked me what about the aircraft and I realized I didn't know. Hence the query. Cheers Will

Just to clarify, Will's second post was speaking about the EOW 1918 and the American purchased aircraft. The 1917 N.124 Escadrille did retain their machines and changed its name from the Lafayette Escadrille to Jean de Arc Escadrille when French personnel were assigned.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

". . . The SE5A in service with US squadrons in France plus an additional order of 100 and 50 more to be used as spares saw service in the US as front line pursuit aircraft, and later as pursuit trainers. . .The SE5A soldiered on along with the Spad XIII until 1924 with the delivery of the Thomas Morse MB-3A. Flypaper

Actually only the 25th Aero sqdn was fully equipped with the SE 5a. About 38 of the Austin-built S.E.5as were assigned to the American Expeditionary Force with the 25th Aero Squadron getting its aircraft (mostly armed only with the fuselage-mounted Vickers gun) at the very end of the war.

It came so late in the war that most of the remaining airframes from the contract never saw service in Europe. On there first patrol the 25th Aero Se 5a aircraft only had the Vickers machine gun installed. Hence the reason they were sent back to the US from the "factory".
flypaper
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
I am lifting this quote directly for the book "THE S.E.5 FILE" by R. Strutivant and G. Page

"A number of SE5As were delivered to American Squadrons in France".

The 25th may have been the only one to see a few days of action, but the above quote points to the fact that the SE5A was in the hand of other US units.

Flypaper
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC
I understand where it comes from. A great book by the way. But the plural is probably a reference to the inclusion of AIC training aircraft. One other recorded SE 5a in AEF hands post war was an instructor's aircraft. It had white sun rays painted over the PC12. it wound up in the rolls of the 138th Aero. "The last Aero sqd on the Rhine".

See: Cross & Cockade Intl. 25 #4 1994 “Charge of the Yellow Ram -138 th Aero Sqdn”

Now, I have the Issoudon 3rd AIC lists at home so tonight I'll do a search on Se 5a aircraft there. I know they had a training unit of Monosuopape, LeRhône and Clerget Sopwith Camels. But all of the aircraft at the 3rd AIC went back to the French or British. The exception was the Monosuopape Camels, several of these went to the USA "during the last days of the war".

Cross & Cockade Intl. 37 #2 2006 “Billy Bones - an accounting of the 31st Aero Sqdn at Issoudon”.
Cross & Cockade Intl. 37 #2 2006 “Issoudon and the 3rd AIC AEF”.
Over the Front Vol.21 #3 2006 “185th Aero - A shadow in the moonlight.”

By the way it was the Spad XIII aircraft from the 185th Aero that were among those sent to Poland in Jan 1919.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Now tying this all together I will add an earlier thread we had here on McCook field P numbers. Lots of Central powers stuff made its way to Ohio post war. Click here.

Here is an interesting read on the operation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCook_Field
flypaper
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand where it comes from. A great book by the way. But the plural is probably a reference to the inclusion of AIC training aircraft. One other recorded SE 5a in AEF hands post war was an instructor's aircraft. It had white sun rays painted over the PC12. it wound up in the rolls of the 138th Aero. "The last Aero sqd on the Rhine".

See: Cross & Cockade Intl. 25 #4 1994 “Charge of the Yellow Ram -138 th Aero Sqdn”

Now, I have the Issoudon 3rd AIC lists at home so tonight I'll do a search on Se 5a aircraft there. I know they had a training unit of Monosuopape, LeRhône and Clerget Sopwith Camels. But all of the aircraft at the 3rd AIC went back to the French or British. The exception was the Monosuopape Camels, several of these went to the USA "during the last days of the war".

Cross & Cockade Intl. 37 #2 2006 “Billy Bones - an accounting of the 31st Aero Sqdn at Issoudon”.
Cross & Cockade Intl. 37 #2 2006 “Issoudon and the 3rd AIC AEF”.
Over the Front Vol.21 #3 2006 “185th Aero - A shadow in the moonlight.”

By the way it was the Spad XIII aircraft from the 185th Aero that were among those sent to Poland in Jan 1919.

History points to 200+/- SE5As plus 400 +/- Spad VIIs and XIIs (mostly XIIIs) made it back to the US. From what I have read and having seen the AS serial list I feel there must have been a number of SE5A delivered to holding parks for delivery to the AEF before the end of the war. USAS allocation of SE5 aircraft on Dec 19 1919 were 32 SE5s and 172 SE5As, all on US soil.

Using the lists from the training fields you listed I feel is really not useful since the SE5As were a front line pursuit aircraft as far as the AEF was concerned and to important to be used as a training aircraft. Also since the 3 schools you mentioned were more or less under French influence its not surprising only one SE5 shows up among the Nieuports.

Also the McCook 'P' numbers list is not that much help in this case either since the McCook aircraft were a special collection of aircraft that were used for various experimental applications and/or research. A much more helpful list would be the Air Service A.S. serial list which would list all known SE5As used by the US AS post war.

Flypaper
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

History points to 200+/- SE5As plus 400 +/- Spad VIIs and XIIs (mostly XIIIs) made it back to the US. From what I have read and having seen the AS serial list . . . A much more helpful list would be the Air Service A.S. serial list which would list all known SE5As used by the US AS post war.

Ok, a couple of comments. There were no "SE5As" They are SE 5a types. the suffix is small case and the plural in nominclatures is "types" or "airframes". Simply adding the "s" causes a concern for variations in the original. Many people that come here are neophytes and it helps to be consistant for their sake.

Also to be helpful to them when we list a source asuch as the "AS listings" it clarifys things if we show them where to find these.

Quoted Text

". . .I feel there must have been a number of . . .Using the lists from the training fields you listed I feel is really not useful since the SE5As[sic] were a front line pursuit aircraft as far as the AEF was concerned and to [sic] important to be used as a training aircraft. Also since the 3 schools you mentioned were more or less under French influence its not surprising only one SE5 shows up among the Nieuports. . ."

You feel that they were too important to be used as trainers? Ok, thats just wrong. We are moving on here.

The AIC units under French influence? The operations were under USAS cadre.

Quoted Text

". . .Also the McCook 'P' numbers list is not that much help in this case either since the McCook aircraft were a special collection of aircraft that were used for various experimental applications and/or research. . ."

The discussion is Post WWI and AEF aircraft that came back to the USA. These are just sources for research, for everyone. McCook testing is post WWI.

I found a bit of research I had done back in Jan. 2009 here.
 _GOTOTOP