Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Haven't seen many WWI dios lately.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 01:54 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:05 AM UTC

This is a wonderful vignette.Very creative with great composition and so much more interesting than just an airplane sitting on a base
which no matter how well it is done is simply boring.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 12:47 AM UTC

Another great one by Lars.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 12:01 AM UTC
Now that the initial excitement about the new WnW kits has died down a bit,I should think that a little boredom is now starting to set in.I mean how many models that all look the same when finished can you build ? Why are WW1 modelers so conservative and afraid to try something new,I just don't understand it.Why are we so stuck on building the perfect model that looks just like everyone elses perfect little model then sit around and pat each other on the back about building those perfect little models ? Where is the creativity in that?Why is the comfort zone so comfortable amoung WW1 modelers?Where have all the creative people gone ? Building RR layouts and armor I guess.
Now I know why Shep Paine never build a WW 1 aircraft vignette or diorama and doesn't even mention them in his books.Where is all the WnW diorama stuff that we were promised ? looks like they surveyed the market and didn't like what they saw either.
The diorama and vignette sections of the other WW1 websites,moderated by people who never built a diorama themselves, are now dead and buried.A few half hearted attempts were made to build a truck or car for future dioramas (that somehow never got under way )and that is about it.Where are all the creative people in our hobby?
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:14 AM UTC

1/48 scale model by Courtney Allen.
Here is a great little vignette with a typical pilot gesture telling the story of how he got on the tail of the enemy fighter.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:35 AM UTC

The irregular edges of the landscaping of this piece keeps it from looking too square.Normally I would avoid light colored bases with too much grain but here it seems to work perfectly.
Removed by original poster on 01/15/12 - 13:43:59 (GMT).
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 01:54 AM UTC

The slightest gesture can be meaningful .Here the hunched shoulders and the hands dug deep in the pockets indicate the weather has turned colder despite the still green grass.This is often seen in Canada in early Winter.This is a perfect example of a simple but effective vignette.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC

Here is another good one in 1/48 by Courtney Allen.Love the snow!
You could easily add a great storyline to this by putting a yellow patch in the snow near the undercart leg and call it "Taking a nervous one".
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC
What can I say but wonderful.Give any of you WnW guys some ideas?
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 04:41 AM UTC

Here is a great idea for a barnstormer diorama.Yes,I know it is not WW1 but this Early Aviation forum goes all the way to 1934.
While working on the Bleriot/Peregrine piece I have been giving a lot of thought to putting aircraft models into their natural element ,the air.
I remember from my woodcarving days when a lot of carvers experimented very successfully with this idea.Birds were shown in full flight with maybe just one flight feather just brushing against a rock or tree limb.At this point the whole piece was suspended usually using a very hard piano type wire.
In this case you could run the wire down through the outstretched hand and have just have this area making the point of contact.Something to think about I would say.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC

An oldie but goodie !
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
I will restore the missing pics "stand by one " or 2...
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Are dioramas for me ?

Here are a few thing to be considered.

"What to leave in and what to leave out" is a very important consideration. Not only from the standpoint of the pure number of objects in a diorama but also in the sense of what things your viewer notices and what he doesn't.
Example: what I am working on right now the wings of the Bleriot.Your average viewer would never even notice that the lightening holes in the ribs are missing but they sure would notice if the wings were upside down.Things like the human face or human body language would be picked up right away as we are all experts on this but if he had a medal on his chest improperly placed or painted no one would care less except of course the "experts".In other words are you building your stuff for the competition model judges or for your average viewer or museum visitor.This is a very important consideration. It is also extremely important to know yourself .Would your temperament fit in with your diorama plans ?
If you are a perfectionist and can't stand for a spot of dust on a shiny surface then I would stick to "stand alone" models as dioramas are usually a lot messier than that and more concessions(artistic license) usually have to be made in order to ever finish ,especially on a very large project.It is really all about knowing yourself and your audience and where and how you plan to put your stuff out there.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:29 AM UTC
How far do I want to go with this ?

But before starting I think that you must ask yourself a few questions first.
Will this be a piece that you are doing for yourself ? well then anything works as long as it pleases you. Or
will your goal be a piece that will hold the interest of an audience or viewer as long as possible ?.Well then that changes everything.It can be as simple as adding a little weathering or leaving a cowl off an engine.The viewer will then fill in the rest.Not much of a storyline there but still it is more than a "factory fresh" example sitting in showcase.I am not criticizing those that prefer to build this way but it holds little interest for me or the average viewer.
Next step up would be the simple vignette,un-cowled engine or bullet holes or weathering,or steps in the sand,ground or oil on the floor,some sign of human presence without having to do a figure.(sometimes it is even a more powerful story this way)
The next step can be a little intimidating for some modelers,modifying or painting figures but it really doesn't have to be this way.Personally I am only an average painter of figures in the traditional sense.In fact I find that most of the professionally painted stuff a little overdone.Just avoid the bug eyed look and let the light and shadows work for you.In my case the viewer never gets close enough to see if the eyes are painted or not.Here is a little experiment you may want to try for yourself.Don't paint the eyes in at all but just leave shadows where the eyes would have been and most viewers brains will fill them in for you.It seems that human beings are so used to seeing eyes where they should be that the brain automatically fills them in for you, at a normal scale viewing distance.Where judges or nitpickers will actually pick up your work and look close up for flaws of course it wouldn't work.
The next step would be a vignette or diorama of a neutral or landscape type setting.Something like a travel documentary.Nice to look at but....
The best dioramas tell a story and need little explanation other than the title.The storyboard diorama is designed specifically to hold the viewers interest as long as possible. It can be hard to get right and nobody is successful all the time.What looks good on paper will probably have to be revised many times.
A storyboard diorama puts you in the directors shoes except you are the lighting guy,carpenter, ,producer,costume gal etc.. I am sure you get what I mean.And you must accomplish your storytelling goals with no music,dialogue or movement of any kind,a pretty tall order that may even intimate Spielberg a bit.

The next level of diorama building,in my opinion, is what I am attempting to do right now with my Bleriot/Falcon piece ,which is to mix not only the media aspects together but the modeling and the art genres together as well.
In other words taking whatever is available to you out there to help tell your story.Plastic,wood,kit or scratch,hobby or art ,it really doesn't matter when the storyline is your most important consideration.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I mean how many models that all look the same when finished can you build ? Why are WW1 modelers so conservative and afraid to try something new,I just don't understand it.Why are we so stuck on building the perfect model that looks just like everyone elses perfect little model then sit around and pat each other on the back about building those perfect little models ? Where is the creativity in that?Why is the comfort zone so comfortable amoung WW1 modelers?Where have all the creative people gone ? Building RR layouts and armor I guess.
Now I know why Shep Paine never build a WW 1 aircraft vignette or diorama and doesn't even mention them in his books....Where are all the creative people in our hobby?

Im not sure where you get off saying some of this stuff, Ive stewed over how to respond to this thread and try not to sound too argumentative for a while. In many enthusiast circles if you burst into the room spouting this type of criticism youd get knocked on your can, if but figuratively. Your starting to sound like some strangely misguided christian missionary that cant figure out why the peoples of southern afghanistan arent very receptive to your preachings.

Its often been repeated here to model for your own enjoyment, its a hobby for most of us after all. So if building one, as you put it, perfect little model after another makes someone happy then why do you find it necessary to goad people with these statements into doing what makes you happy? And what wrong with some group support. Yeah we all know the pattings on the back have come to be routine, but we do it in the everyday aspects of our lives. Peer encouragement, positive reinforcement and some constructive criticism is necessary to elevate ones game. There are some wonderful builds here and I just feel that to out of handidly(is that even a word?) dismiss them as just another perfect little model and ask where the creativity has gone is plain old ignorant.

Are you trying to imply the great Mr. Paine didnt build Many if any WWI aircraft Dios or even mentioned them in his books is due to a lack of creativity in this hobby? Thats kind of what it sounds like to me. And Im feeling like this may be totally off base, so perhaps since you guys are buds you can pose the question to him directly instead of making such a public assumption. Maybe the subject doesnt interest him that much? I know I like building aircraft... because I really like aircraft and since Ill never own a sopwith camel, Fw190 or a Mig-29 building "perfect little models" of them is the closest I can get. I personally am not opposed to dioramas, But Im not sure I have to story line apptitude and I barely have the time even for the simple and apparently mere assembling of parts. So being it is a hobby where I just need to escape for a while and forget about lifes difficulties Ill be damned if Im going to make it more difficult than it already is.

The other thing that may be a roadblock in the building of WWI AC dios is a near total lack of anything but the AC themselves. WWII AC and armor folks at least at an entry level have it served to them on a plate with all the figures, staff cars support equipment...I never thought Id see a kitted 1/48 japanese naval bulldozer, but there it is practically screaming, and really having no other purpose than to be show on a seized airfield. It seems that other than a few figures any other WWI accessories have to be scratch built which is quite the obstacle for the diorama beginner.

Im not trying to say "Be gone with you!" or the like, especially considering my lowly status on these forums, but I think youll get more bees with honey, and honey isnt posting every few days "still waiting!". So with all that said, its not your "topic" I take issue with, its your delivery. Id take into consideration that this is primarily an early aviation aircraft building forum and adjust my comments accordingly
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 07:36 AM UTC
Just a gentle reminder here. This is a simple exchange of ideas or points of view. Mike has as much value in his comments as John.

First, some people are content to just do individual models. So be it. Nothing wrong there.

Second some people like to tell stories with their builds and add details to assist in that story. Again nothing wrong there.

Encouragement comes in all forms. Most of the time if we could be in a room and hear the person speak it would be seen differently. The best way to approach these issues is to know we all have points of view. If we chafe at the method that it come in please understand not everyone is going to get it right.

I can't tell you how many times I have screwed up getting a point across. Our personalities that define us just sometimes get in the way of the message we try to convey. Dioramas or no dioramas is simply another method of getting an idea across. Who says dioramas is the ultimate form of our genre. Who defines the perameters of our builds? The individual modeler.

John asks are we going to be satisfied with just the kit builds. Some people will answer yes. Dioramas are at times costly can grow beyond your wallet. Take it from me I know. To keep it interesting I had to be creative. Try a diorama with 722 figures. Over eight years, countless bottles of cyano and a plastic cover that could hold the crown jewels it was done. It has won some awards and has been the topic of beau coup discussions. Some say a pinnacle in my modeling attempts. Not for me. It is the individual build and finding out a bit about the men that lived and died during these times.

See here.

When you build a diorama it takes certain skills that is a bit like art. Composition and balance. Thank goodness we have more than Van Gough, Raphael, Picasso, Rembrandt, Manet, Rockwell & etc. Each a Master in their own rights suffering for their art. But we do enough suffering in our daily lives our hobby is just that - a hobby.

Let the individual be inspired but no one here is expected to be anymore involved than their time alots. Family first I say. One of our members is quietly going through a seond round of cancer. One is dealing with a harsh break up of the family. Another has lost their mother. Remember we simply don't know the damage we can do with an uncaring comment or a cruel statement masked as "the truth". No implosion here folks just an exchange of ideas. Personalities aside we come here to learn, build and relax. I appreciate the thoughtful response attempts as I am sure do others.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC
Stephen,
Your opening statement regarding "value in my comments" has me puzzled since "I said nothing" as Clousseau used to say! However, now that you've made reference to me (hopefully in error) I'll now add a few comments.
First, I totally agree with your message. I personally enjoy the creation of as close as I can get to an absolutely historically accurate Model. To me it's all about the machine and the men who flew them. I also enjoy the research, the sharing of ideas and opinions/interpretations of material, and yes, the compliments that we provide one another on our results.
If John prefers the medium of Dioramas to gain the same joy from his hobby that's wonderful as well.
The key here, IMHO, is that we need to respect one anothers differences. Some model clean and factory fresh, others weathered and worn, minimum props or full up Dioramas, different scales are sometimes a hot topic, and the beat goes on. I see merit in all; we need to avoid critical or argumentative dialogue or we may go the way of other groups, and that would be tragic.
I believe that if criticism enters the picture were loosing sight of what were all about. It's a Hobby and everyone deserves the courtesy of indulging in it in his own way. My results don't come close to a large majority of others here, but they give me great pleasure. Better still is the pleasure of recieving compliments and encouragement vs. criticism; it works for me!
Let's continue to, as you so appropriately say "Model On!"

Cheers,
Lance
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 09:13 AM UTC
To put in very simple terms treat each other as you would want to be treated.Enought said.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To put in very simple terms treat each other as you would want to be treated.Enought said.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Amen !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen,
Your opening statement regarding "value in my comments" has me puzzled since "I said nothing" as Clousseau used to say! However, now that you've made reference to me (hopefully in error) I'll now add a few comments.
First, I totally agree with your message. I personally enjoy the creation of as close as I can get to an absolutely historically accurate Model. To me it's all about the machine and the men who flew them. I also enjoy the research, the sharing of ideas and opinions/interpretations of material, and yes, the compliments that we provide one another on our results.
If John prefers the medium of Dioramas to gain the same joy from his hobby that's wonderful as well.
The key here, IMHO, is that we need to respect one anothers differences. Some model clean and factory fresh, others weathered and worn, minimum props or full up Dioramas, different scales are sometimes a hot topic, and the beat goes on. I see merit in all; we need to avoid critical or argumentative dialogue or we may go the way of other groups, and that would be tragic.
I believe that if criticism enters the picture were loosing sight of what were all about. It's a Hobby and everyone deserves the courtesy of indulging in it in his own way. My results don't come close to a large majority of others here, but they give me great pleasure. Better still is the pleasure of recieving compliments and encouragement vs. criticism; it works for me!
Let's continue to, as you so appropriately say "Model On!"

Cheers,
Lance

I could say it was a rues to get you to join in (and I am glad you did). But in truth it was a faux paux of mine. Sorry Lance meant to say Mike. I went back and fixed it. But I am reminded of some of the talks you and I have had. I get encouragement from you and so many others. It is what gets me jump started some days.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...I mean how many models that all look the same when finished can you build ? Why are WW1 modelers so conservative and afraid to try something new,I just don't understand it.Why are we so stuck on building the perfect model that looks just like everyone elses perfect little model then sit around and pat each other on the back about building those perfect little models ? Where is the creativity in that?Why is the comfort zone so comfortable amoung WW1 modelers?Where have all the creative people gone ? Building RR layouts and armor I guess.
Now I know why Shep Paine never build a WW 1 aircraft vignette or diorama and doesn't even mention them in his books....Where are all the creative people in our hobby?

Im not sure where you get off saying some of this stuff, Ive stewed over how to respond to this thread and try not to sound too argumentative for a while. In many enthusiast circles if you burst into the room spouting this type of criticism youd get knocked on your can, if but figuratively. Your starting to sound like some strangely misguided christian missionary that cant figure out why the peoples of southern afghanistan arent very receptive to your preachings.

Its often been repeated here to model for your own enjoyment, its a hobby for most of us after all. So if building one, as you put it, perfect little model after another makes someone happy then why do you find it necessary to goad people with these statements into doing what makes you happy? And what wrong with some group support. Yeah we all know the pattings on the back have come to be routine, but we do it in the everyday aspects of our lives. Peer encouragement, positive reinforcement and some constructive criticism is necessary to elevate ones game. There are some wonderful builds here and I just feel that to out of handidly(is that even a word?) dismiss them as just another perfect little model and ask where the creativity has gone is plain old ignorant.

Are you trying to imply the great Mr. Paine didnt build Many if any WWI aircraft Dios or even mentioned them in his books is due to a lack of creativity in this hobby? Thats kind of what it sounds like to me. And Im feeling like this may be totally off base, so perhaps since you guys are buds you can pose the question to him directly instead of making such a public assumption. Maybe the subject doesnt interest him that much? I know I like building aircraft... because I really like aircraft and since Ill never own a sopwith camel, Fw190 or a Mig-29 building "perfect little models" of them is the closest I can get. I personally am not opposed to dioramas, But Im not sure I have to story line apptitude and I barely have the time even for the simple and apparently mere assembling of parts. So being it is a hobby where I just need to escape for a while and forget about lifes difficulties Ill be damned if Im going to make it more difficult than it already is.

The other thing that may be a roadblock in the building of WWI AC dios is a near total lack of anything but the AC themselves. WWII AC and armor folks at least at an entry level have it served to them on a plate with all the figures, staff cars support equipment...I never thought Id see a kitted 1/48 japanese naval bulldozer, but there it is practically screaming, and really having no other purpose than to be show on a seized airfield. It seems that other than a few figures any other WWI accessories have to be scratch built which is quite the obstacle for the diorama beginner.

Im not trying to say "Be gone with you!" or the like, especially considering my lowly status on these forums, but I think youll get more bees with honey, and honey isnt posting every few days "still waiting!". So with all that said, its not your "topic" I take issue with, its your delivery. Id take into consideration that this is primarily an early aviation aircraft building forum and adjust my comments accordingly

You are absolutely right,I went over the top with those stupid comments.I won't mention it again.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:08 PM UTC

No,no one asked me to post the above.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are absolutely right,I went over the top with those stupid comments.I won't mention it again.

Spoken like a gentleman.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No,no one asked me to post the above.

John;
I have no doubt that "no one asked you". My compliments; your work and it's quality, your devotion and unbridled enthusiasm for the genre, and your contributions to the institutions here in Canada that struggle to preserve our heritage speak volumes for the quality of the individual you are and speak for themselves.
I echo Stephen's words; spoken like the Gentleman you are.
Cheers,
Lance and to you my friend.