_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Haven't seen many WWI dios lately.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC
Only a few minor attempts at some old cars.Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.C'mon guys it ain't that hard to do !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Greetings John, I have several inprogress presently. Maybe its a good time to start posting some images.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Only a few minor attempts at some old cars.Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.C'mon guys it ain't that hard to do !

Maybe you should hold your opinion until you've seen more of the work inprogress.That would be the fairest wouldn't it.
Gregory Jouette
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
That's great I would love to see some pics !
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:40 AM UTC
Apparently you already know where to look.. As the modules are completed you'll see more no doubt.
Gregory Jouette
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
Wonderful ! Bring it on. I always love to see quality work in the making no matter where it is or who is making it.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Maybe we could do a thread where all of the Early aviation diorama threads could have a URL base thread?

Here is one from about a year ago.
Downed Fokker

Proving you don't need figures to tell a story.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 11:45 PM UTC
No you don't Stephen,in fact sometimes it is more powerful with no figures at all.
Nice stuff !
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
I had not seen this thread before now; going back through Edo's work was fascinating and educational to say the very least. Very impressive work; the damage is realistic and the addition of dirt / mud on the aircraft and the supporting structure of the trench works, barbed wire etc. are masterful. Thanks, Stephen, for resurrecting this.
Possible theme for a future campaign??

Cheers,
Lance
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
i have one in mind but i could do with a 1/48 horch ww1 car...as its a major part of the dio.

paul
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 11:45 AM UTC
Stephen,
Thanks for bringing up Edo's excellent diorama again.I must have missed it the first time around while still recovering.I'd love to see more of these wonderful dioramas posted here.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hello everybody,

with the risk of sticking my head in a hornets nest – here's one I did a bit earlier this year. Perhaps not a fully fledged diorama – but more than just a base too...

Best Regards

Mikael

P.S. Gregory, my friend – I really enjoy watching your progress with the cars...
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
Nice vignette Mikael !
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi guys!!
I was stunned that my diorama was referred to here !
You make me feel very proud!
A diorama campaign wold be great! Even if terribly difficult as the standard would have to be very high!
Ciao
Edo
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 10:49 PM UTC
The modeling standard is already pretty high, it is storyline aspect that really remains pretty weak.Vignettes are ok but they fail to hold a viewers interest very long .Modelers will always enjoy good model making but dioramas need a strong storyline to hold the average viewers interest for any length of time.
A good rule of thumb would be "if you have to explain it beyond the title then your storyline is usually weak".
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

'. . .A good rule of thumb would be 'if you have to explain it beyond the title then your storyline is usually weak'. . ."

Yea and verily.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Possible theme for a future campaign??

Cheers,
Lance

suggest it and see how many people want to go for it., i'd be in!

paul
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Good to see the only hornet's nest here is in reference to Zeebrugge.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC

Developing ideas are probably one of the biggest hurtles to overcome when building any diorama especially large storyboard type dioramas.
It is through the story that craftsmanship can become art.Not the only way but one of the ways open to us all whatever our level of skill.
Everyone loves stories,sometimes I think that it is built into our genes.
The trick I find is to find something or someone that you are really interested in and start there.It is a good idea to have some idea of where your going but at this point don't be too sure about it.Leave lots of room for changing your mind.Too much planning and too many do's and don'ts and you will never actually start anything.Don't try to be the best modeler of that kit but use that kit as a tool to help you develop your story.We are not looking for perfect craftsmanship here,leave that aside for the competitions.
I usually start with something central to the storyline like the airplane or locomotive or whatever ,as this helps to get it started.It is also great to have something nice to look at when you are stuck on the more boring stuff.And believe me there will be some boring stuff that needs to be done.It has been said that a great modeler puts the same effort into whatever he happens to be doing at the time.
As you are working keep an open mind for storyboard ideas.Play with your ideas but don't write anything in stone yet,knowing the end game takes all the fun out of it.Leave yourself lots of room for changes.Playing with small scale models of what your planning to do, even if they are made with cardboard, also helps to develop your ideas.Sometimes I will make up a small scale mock-up piece in cardboard just to play around with my ideas.While you are doing this of course you are also working on your model to keep things interesting and moving forward toward your goals.
Sometimes it is also fun to do a series of vignettes (modules) designed to be put together into a finished storyboard diorama.Taking pics of these developing vignettes will also help stimulate new ideas for the larger diorama.

The important thing here is to just get motivated to start .I have noticed that some future modelers of WW1 aircraft dioramas are starting with ground equipment ,cars or trucks and that is a good thing too, if that is your choice, as long as you are constantly keeping the bigger picture in mind.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 11:55 PM UTC
It is still a real desert out there for WW1 aircraft dioramas.With all the great subject matter out there these days to work with it is really hard to understand.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 10:43 PM UTC
Anything new on the diorama front ? where are you guys ?
There are so many stories out there just waiting to be told.
MTHopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
I believe John you answered your own question when you pointed out that coming up with the storyline/idea is the biggest hurdle.
Having said that I thank you for the kick in the mental rear. You inspired me to finally come up with the idea for a dio I have been trying to determine "how do I...." on and off for far too many years now.. Actually it will be three of them now.
Again, thanks
Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe John you answered your own question when you pointed out that coming up with the storyline/idea is the biggest hurdle.
Having said that I thank you for the kick in the mental rear. You inspired me to finally come up with the idea for a dio I have been trying to determine "how do I...." on and off for far too many years now.. Actually it will be three of them now.
Again, thanks
Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will

Wow ! glad to hear about that.Three of them.Good luck.Keep us posted on your progress.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 01:54 AM UTC
Still all is quite on the WW1 diorama front ! A car or truck does not a diorama make.C'mon guys it is time to step out of the old comfort zone !
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:07 PM UTC
One of mine from earlier this year using an old derelict Albatros thrown away by a friend...

BC
 _GOTOTOP