_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Revell 1:72 SE 5a
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
I was browsing in Hobby Craft a couple of weeks ago for paint and saw this wee Revell 1/72 SE5a kit and a Sopwith Camel crying in the "For Sale" bin. They were going for £2.25 so I thought I'd give them a bash. I'll post the Camel later as it isn't finished yet.

I haven't built a 1/72 plane for 40 years (usually build 1/35 Armour) so I'd forgotten how small 1/72 really is. I got a real shock when I opened the box and bits smaller than my finger fell out.

I should have started with a 1/72 Lanc or Spit or something much bigger to get myself back into the hang of building something so small but decided to give them a try anyway. Nothing to lose at that price.

It went together very well with no fit issues (Well done Revell) and having built it fairly quickly the masochistic streak emerged (as usual) and I decided to rig it as well... I never learn! I used invisible thread for the rigging and realised that it's called invisible for a good reason, it's flaming hard to see! I used small dabs of Tamiya clear orange for the turnbuckles because it is so sticky and clumps well.

I just made up a chocolate brown colour from Tamiya paints and airbrushed it on. The "Orange peel" effect is molded onto the kit as fabric, it's not from poor airbrushing technique.

I added a clear plastic windshield, basic seat and stick (which is too big but too bad...). Made an instrument panel from styrene painted light brown, drew some black dials on it with a Sharpie marker and covered it with Tamiya clear orange. Same paint technique was used on the struts and Prop. A small pitot tube made from thin solder wire was added to a right hand wing strut. Control surfaces were quickly and easily cut and adjusted.

Have a look.

It really is a very small model:

Comment and criticisms welcome.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC
Murdo, great work there! One of my favorite WWI aircraft, the SE.5 is a beauty and you did it right. What did you use for the rigging in the wings? I need to build some WWI aircraft but am a bit put off by the rigging involved. Thanks for sharing it with us, good job once again. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC
That's really great for your first aircraft in years!

Here's a tip for dealing with that invisible thread: Run it along the tip of a black felt pen or sliver paint marker to make it a bit more visible.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Wow that has dusted off a few of my snaptic pathways. I must have done 25 of these when I was a youngster. On the Revell Camel one thing to look out for is the gap between the wings is too high because the struts are too long. Check your references but if memory serves they were 1/16" too long. One fellow here did one in an instructor's razzle dazzle scheme.

build finished here.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
Thanks all,

Jessica, I didn't want to make it too visible. It's a very subtle effect and I like the way the light catches it and the "wires" suddenly become extremely noticeable.

Stephen, sorry mate, too late, the wings are already on, just need to finish the RH wing rigging... Once my eyes recover from doing the LH wing set.
Jose_Barbosa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC
Congratulations, Good work on biplane RAF Se5a !

I started building airplanes models when I had 16 years.
Then I stopped the hobby, but now, with 56 years of age, I came back.
Now, I am building also the same airplane (Revell, 1/72scale).
How did you made the turnbuckles or where you bought them!

Usually I build WW1/WW2 airplanes (1/72).
Where did you find the cable rigging plans/drawings ?

Thank you for the help

Kind Regards

José Barbosa
Web: http://jotabarbosa.wordpress.com
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hello Jose,
Rigging diagrams can be found in a couple places. If you can find "Windsock Datafiles" they each focus on a specific aircraft and have scale drawings with rigging shown. Im not sure how easy they are to find in Portugal or how expensive. I find mine on ebay occasionally but Ive ordered them directly from England before too.

Another is if Eduard also makes the particular aircraft, you can go to their website and download the instructions which include a rigging diagram. Other than those Id try a search on a dedicated WWI aviation website.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
For rigging an SE 5a Search here.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 09:57 PM UTC
Good job Murdo:

One of my favorite WWI a/c as well. Sitting next to a bottle of Tamiya paint really gives it a sense of size. I think it looks great.

Looking forward to the Camel.

Best
Mark
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
Well done Murdo
I especially liked your instrument panel.

Clive
 _GOTOTOP