World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
An Me509- to fight cancer!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you, please, give here a link to your 'other' thread? I really want to have a look at it.

Hi Harald,

That would be this one
haribeau44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 129 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, Jessica!

I must have overseen your hint that I noticed not earlier than today. Now I'm 'up to date' and the 509 may go on.

Harald
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 02:35 PM UTC
Thanks! Distractions aside, Here's the latest on this fun little build- take it away, Hannah!

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 01:27 PM UTC
Well, we're waiting to hear from the vet on our sick dog. I've been trying to keep busy- so here goes.

russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 01:59 PM UTC
I'm sorry about your dog. Hope you get good news. Just out of curiosity, how many forums do you post this on? I've seen your builds at two or three other sites at least. You stay very busy keeping us all entertained.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 06:49 PM UTC
That's some beautiful mottling Chuck! Do you have to do a lot of touch-up? And a very cool aircraft!

Magnus
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Chuck

Yes, my thoughts are with you too on your dog. I know how worrying it can be.

The '509 is looking great! The desert camo really suits it! Thanks for the tip on panel post-shading - it's a very effective technique. I've never thought of using an eraser to clean-up over-spray - what a great idea!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 06:53 PM UTC
Looking very good Chuck That is why I supply at least 4 of everything, just in case of cock ups If anyone out there is thinking of using paint masks for the first time I'm happy to include more for practice within the price

It is likely that I could produce the Africa Corps badge, but it would be fiddly to use. However I have a system that makes it easier. I have just completed writing the instructions for this:

For a Dominican Republic P-51 and is about 10mm in diameter (this is a graphic from the instructions) the emblem is built up from 7 separate masks, basically 1 for each colour, but it is a doddle to use
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 07:17 PM UTC
Chuck,

Looking good as always... I was very attentive to your miracle mask. It looks very nice in the end. I am also sorry to hear about your dog, and we hope for the better! My dog is waving a friendly paw to his pal!

All the best,
Entoni

PS. Check the center fuselage seem just behind the radiator!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:48 PM UTC
Love your work Chuk, another great build and another thread full of useful techniques and tips for me!

Cheers, D
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks, everyone- especially for the concern bout Andi. She has survived surgery- for a nasty abscess- and is recovering. We hope to have her home where she belongs today, if not tomorrow. The poor little bugger was really sick!

Thanks, Russ- I host my own pics, so I plunk 'em down wherever possible. I'm probably in a dozen different forums, model and art oriented.

Magnus, touch-ups are a way of life for me. The mottles went on easy, but I kept getting fingerprints in various places- that eraser trick came in mighty handy! Looks Like I'll be touching-up that seam Entoni's eagle eye picked out as well- LOL!

Thanks you kindly, Rowan- I can't take credit for the eraser trick- some brighter bulb figured that one out. I use it all the time thnaks to my ham-handedness!

Mal, your inventions become more and more amazing- I can't wait to doddle through one of those crazy insignia! BTW, the tiny tail swastikas had me leery- but but came out perfectly, and without a hitch. Cheers, mate!

Entoni, thank your dog for me- Andi appreciates the support! I'm glad you picked up on that seam- it may simply be clogged with dust, but that was a problematic area to fill and re-scribe. The only bad case of fit on the whole model.

Thanks, Damian, for reading along. Glad you like it.

Again, my thanks- and cheers to all!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks Like I'll be touching-up that seam Entoni's eagle eye picked out as well- LOL!

No problemo, Chuck! I am always here to help I am also very glad about your dog! She's not a match for my Dalmatian, but I am sure he would be happy to meet her

All the best,
Entoni

PS. The only reason why I spot your "mistakes" is out of pure envy It's just to convince myself that you're not impeccable, but just flesh and bones like myself Damn, you make nice models!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, your inventions become more and more amazing- I can't wait to doddle through one of those crazy insignia! BTW, the tiny tail swastikas had me leery- but but came out perfectly, and without a hitch. Cheers, mate!

No Problem Chuck, it is always a pleasure to help out with one of your builds as you are always an inspiration

Can I have permission to post the pictures using the masks on my Face Book page? Not only would it be good PR for me it would be nice to point more modellers here to see more of your outstanding work
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
Go right ahead, Mal, with my compliments!

Entoni, Andi is home and recovering well. Poor thing- stitches and drains! Mommy is taking good care of her, though, so she is resting well. As for any errors you see in my pics, sing out! I can always use all the help I can get.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
These contributions are just fantastic!!!

- excellent modelling
- stunning tutorial
- fantastic photographing
- and "exiting" artwork

You could go "professional" with this and produce books
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
glad to hear your pooch is doing better!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC
Thanks Chuck
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hey Chuk,

Quick question - I know I've missed this in your previous threads.

How exactly do you use the white out to fill seams? You brush it on, but do you sand it off, or do you use a q-tip and some sort of thinner? If so, what medium do you use. (I never have any luck with these techniques!)
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
Hi, Matt! I sand the stuff after it's had a few minutes to dry. Use a fine grit or it will tear right off! I'll have to experiment with a dampened Q-Tip (cotton bud) to find the right thinner- that may be an option. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I try wiping something off a seam there's always too much filler taken away and a "ghost seam" is the result. Your mileage may certainly vary!
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hi Chuck, I have to admit that I admire your models!
I'm looking forward to further updates, one can really learn a lot from your WIP threads!

Best regards, Sven.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Matt! I sand the stuff after it's had a few minutes to dry. Use a fine grit or it will tear right off! I'll have to experiment with a dampened Q-Tip (cotton bud) to find the right thinner- that may be an option. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I try wiping something off a seam there's always too much filler taken away and a "ghost seam" is the result. Your mileage may certainly vary!

Aha! That's my problem. I thought one of the first times you had used it, you had made mention of using a Q-tip, so I had been trying ever since with the same result (a ghost seam) lol and while I consider myself to be a proficient modeller, I couldn't figure out what kind of dark magic you were using. lol
Patships
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
Your WIPs are awesome. Such detail. I even went out and bought a 1941 and 1942 5 Pfennig coin. Could you come to Knoxville Tennessee and teach a class on model building? Keep up the good work.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 02:18 PM UTC
Thanks, guys!

Here's an update at last! Andi seems to have recovered and is back to full health, my job is hopping and my wife and I are well. That said, things do keep cropping up and modeling has to take second fiddle- and posting plays trombone. I had to cut this update short- look to the last pic for a teaser of where I am now. />/>

russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 02:46 AM UTC
It looks so easy when you do it. Does the Scotch tape conform to the surface on curves or does it crease up?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hey Chuk - gorgeous painting as always

Just a thought - I've had that tape pull up some paint/stencils before - I prefer to use the small sized post-it notes, spraying the panel shading an inch or so at a time, then when spraying on curves, I tape the sticky end of the post it note with Tamiya Masking Tape - a little more adhesion, still a straight edge, and no paint to touch up