_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS III GB Albatros D.V
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 10:52 AM UTC
OK, well the last thing I need to do is join another campaign. But, given that Stephen includes hanger queens/in progress builds and I have this Albie undone, I figured I'd jump in.

The story so far: I started this kit last year as part of a pair of builds for my Osprey Duel campaign. (The other, of course, was to be a WNW S.E.5a.) I got discouraged that I'd mucked up the markings a bit and gave up. The problem with this aircraft (Edward Ritter von Schleich's from Jasta 21 in Sept. 1917) was that the upper camo green color sort of swooped down to touch the horizontal arms of the fuselage crosses. See pic:

Unfortunately, I measured things out wrong when I was painting and it came out looking squashed together. See pic of where I quit building:

But what the heck, it's a beautiful kit and I'm not just going to let it languish! So I'm joining up. So there!

No engine detailing, this one is out of the box. But I hope it goes well from here!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
Since this was going to be for another campaign, I have some in-progress pictures from last year to show you how it was going. Here are some:

And, as above, here's where I am now:

We'll see where this one goes from this point!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC
Progress:

There was a regrettable incident with one of the V struts when I tried to connect it all up. Luckily the kit comes with 4 struts, two with the small reinforcing strut molded in. A few quick swipes with a file and I have a substitute to send in. Meanwhile, the EZ Line is NOT cooperating when I try to glue it down to the bottom wing. I don't understand what's going on, when I built the S.E.5a before the Krazy glue gripped it immediately, but not today!

Taking a break from it now before I screw up something I can't fix.

Michael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 09:11 PM UTC
Looking good Michael, the EZ line can be a bit of a problem sometimes – it is not as easy to handle as its name indicates in my opinion...

Mikael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC
Mikael: You're right, there are no "easy" answers. Just gotta be patient. I still like ez-line because of its elasticity. I don't have to cut it to the exact length and once it's anchored in place if I accidentally flick a line while installing another it won't automatically pop loose.

Speaking of which, never say never. After taking a break I realized the answer to my problem. I brushed a bit of accelerant on the holes where the rigging would anchor, then put a bit of super glue on the end of the line and touched it to the hole. Even if the accelerant had dried a little, it still works to grab hold quick. The result? Somehow, I seem to have finished!

Here's the match up I was originally building this kit for. The S.E.5a is the one I built for the WNW campaign a couple of years ago:

I haven't actually progressed to the point of using turnbuckles, I'm still amazed that I get rigging done at all. I'll post some shots in the gallery. Thanks Stephen for keeping the early days of aviation front and center!

Michael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hello Michael:

I really like Von Schleich's scheme, and even though the markings are a bit cramped, it turned out very nice. I like EZ line as well and except for the undercarriage, I am now using it exclusively on my builds.

Good Job.

Best

Mark
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
Excellent Michael! One of the aims fo the KotS series is to finish up hangar queens. Your's turned out fine.

Model On!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 09:03 PM UTC
Congrats on finishing a great looking D.V MIchael – hope to see more double decker builds from you in future!

I do use EZ primarily for control wires, and cross bracing struts – this I feel works great giving very straight lines that are easy to tension. Otherwise I like the rigidity in the finished model that mono-line gives.

Cheers

Mikael
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
An excellent looking Albatros Michael,
Love the colour scheme,
cheers,
Julian
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
Michael,

Excellent Albatros, nice work.

I have a general question for anyone who can help out.

Where can I pick up EZ Line? I live in the Northeast USA. Is it found in sporting goods stores or anyplace on line? I want to build a DH.2 and it looks like the EZ Line material will be the best for this type of kit.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 07:24 AM UTC
It was made to do telephone poles in model railroad layouts, so check model railroad shops and suppliers. You can get it in several different colours. It's also available from online vendors.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael,

Excellent Albatros, nice work.

I have a general question for anyone who can help out.

Where can I pick up EZ Line? I live in the Northeast USA. Is it found in sporting goods stores or anyplace on line? I want to build a DH.2 and it looks like the EZ Line material will be the best for this type of kit.

Thanks,
Dwayne

If I recall correctly I got it mail order from a place called Bobe's Hobby House. I use the heavier line for bracing wires and the finer stuff for control lines, both in the charcoal color. I would definitely recommend it, especially for a string-bag like the DH.2!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject.
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Dwayne
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:41 AM UTC
HI Dwayne:

Roll Models has it in a variety of colors. I am experimenting with White, Copper and brown.

Best

Mark
 _GOTOTOP