_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
World's Oldest Aircraft Carrier
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 01:40 PM UTC
discovered rusting by the River Thames

By Daily Mail Reporter UPDATED:03:11 EST, 1 March 2011

Read More:
The worlds' oldest aircraft carrier which was a precursor to today's giant Navy vessels has been discovered - rusting by a river bank.

Looking like another just another rusting hull poking out of the water, for years the large dirt covered rusting wreck in the Thames was ignored. But a maritime journalist spotted the vessel was a 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter.

(This is the Hamble found also and being used now for parts.)
Rubbish? The world's oldest aircraft carrier was found rusting on the River Thames covered in dirt.
Although at just 58 feet long it looks nothing like the modern HMS Ark Royal - which is more than ten times as long - the damaged vessel was the first of the kind.

The tiny craft, discarded in the river like a shopping trolley or piece of litter, would have seen action during the First World War as aircraft carriers were introduced for the first time.

Now it is being restored by experts at the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset after being recovered from the water.

Originally it would have carried one plane that was launched by being towed into the wind - and then recovered after it was ditched into the sea on landing. Jon Jefferies, from the museum, said the small vessel was a significant find. 'It's only tiny but it's this ship that led to the development of the massive modern aircraft carriers,' he said.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
'It's the world's first aircraft carrier and at the time the Ark Royal is decommissioned it's fitting it's being restored to its original state.'

Museum director Graham Mottram said he had given up hope of ever finding one of the early 20th century boats intact.

'I was well aware of the story of these seaplane lighters, but was astonished to find that one had survived intact,' he said.

'My short walk along the deck was some of the most exciting steps I have ever taken!'

After seeing the aircraft carrier for himself, he arranged for it to be lifted from the water and transported to the museum's restoration hanger.

Several of the craft's original features have been discovered by experts as they work restore it.

The original boat number H21 has been unmasked along with the spot where the Ministry of Defence recorded the craft length - LVIII or 58feet - and the War Department's broad-arrow symbol.

The crew quarters in the bow have also been re-discovered.

These would have been used by the deck crew to shelter from the weather and sea conditions whilst under tow, and to store ropes, oil, tools and other small items required to service the lighter and its transported aircraft.

The 1918 Thorneycroft Seaplane Lighter was built so that aircraft could extend their range prior to take off and be covertly moved.

Four prototypes were made and it proved so successful that a further 46 lighters were then made. There is only one other example of these early aircraft carriers.

It is largely submerged and has corroded to almost nothing.

The remains are entombed in thick black mud on the banks of the River Hamble in Hampshire however at low tide it is proving to be an invaluable source of reference and donor parts.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum hopes to display a WWI Sopwith Camel on board once the dirty weathered vessel is fully restored next year.

Ultimately the Fleet Air Arm Museum hope to complete the restoration and display the world's oldest aircraft carrier with a World War I Sopwith Camel on board as if ready for take off."

If memory serves there were drawings done in a C&C Intl of the typical lighter. Though in reality it does not qualify as an "aircraft carrier" it does lend itself to the possibility of a great diorama base for our subject matter. Now I wonder if we could find a resin manufacturer?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 03:01 PM UTC
Very interesting!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 03:51 PM UTC
Fantastic. They have a nice little museum there. My dad brought me the companion booklet back. Wish I could go some time soon.

Their restoration hangar there is far more interesting than most air museums proper!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 08:55 PM UTC
Wow – that is interesting news. One of my favourite diplays is the Sopwith 2F1 Camel in the Imperial War Museum, London. I believe it was launched from such a Lighter. The plan to restore the carrier and the display a Camel on top, makes me want to book a trip to England

Thanks for sharing Stephen!

Mikael
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 12:42 AM UTC
Should be a doddle to scratch build, looks like a hard chine hull, are there any drawings? At 1/72 scale under 10" long and at 1/32 scale - 21.75" (552mm) quite a managable size. Modelling the towing destroyer to the same scale could be a bit of a job, though 1/48 is possible, and I do have drawings for HMS Trojan and an R class destroyer at that scale, could be enough to get me back into ships....
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Should be a doddle to scratch build, looks like a hard chine hull, are there any drawings? At 1/72 scale under 10" long and at 1/32 scale - 21.75" (552mm) quite a managable size. Modelling the towing destroyer to the same scale could be a bit of a job, though 1/48 is possible, and I do have drawings for HMS Trojan and an R class destroyer at that scale, could be enough to get me back into ships....

You took the words right out of my mouth... 552 mm in 1:32 Hmmm – And I already have a converted 2F1 Camel in 1:32

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 07:56 PM UTC
Here's something I found floating around the internet – a pretty good drawing of the lighter, that would be a good start for a scratch build...

Thornycroft lighter project

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP