_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 scale Spitfire IXc early ver.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
I've had this fantastic kit for a while now, but I've been holding off starting my build for a few reasons. 1st and foremost has been a re-interest in getting back into the IPMS contest scene. Haven't entered nor built for a contest since 1972! That's not a typo. Just got burnt out after years of just contest after contest.

The difference is this time around the goal isn't about winning, it's about pushing my envelope to the standards I really want to be at. Competing for me is the way I'm going to try and get there. I'm really not concerned about what categories I'm entering with what model, or what's on the table I'm competing against. Nor am I setting some random nonsensical build schedule & goals, then driving myself half crazy trying to keep up with it.

Anyway, This year's Noreastcon is in only 7 weeks, just too early to build for even though it's a 45 min from my home. And the Nationals are only 5 months away, & on the East coast, but again just not enough time. So I'm realistically looking to start with the 2015 Noreastcon & Replicon. that's it for 2015. I'll enter what I build, and that's it. No more self induced pressure. Anyway, that's the idea.

The Spitfire IXc Early version build starts today. It's another 1st for me, as I'll be building it alternating work stretches at the bench with my F4B build.

Since my main interest is US WW11 aircraft, I'm planning on modeling EN354 that was flown by 1st Lt. Leonard V. Helton of the 52nd Fighter Group, 4th Fight Squadron, Tunisia, June 1943. The paint scheme is the same exact one as the British camo scheme with USA marking, except for the lower left wing which retained a single British Roundel.

Right now, my plan is to build the best OOB version I can. So that means no detailing, just correcting by tweaking and , fixing, etc. what's already there. At least that's the goal for now. But I'm already seeing areas that I can scratch out some details for. I really need to stay focused.

Anyway, the 1st build day is today. So I'll update what I've accomplished tonight.

Joel
FredrikA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Sounds like a good plan on your part. Model building should always, I think, be centered on the enjoyment it brings the modeller.

Assuming that this early Mk IX is fairly similar to Eduard's late Mk IX, I'm sure you will enjoy building it. There are a few problematic areas, but nothing you won't manage. Just make sure to test fit before you glue.

/Fredrik
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
Fredrik,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Test fitting has become my middle name. As for the two kits, they are very similar as long as you build a C wing version. I believe that the late model gives you the option for a E wing, but don't hold me to that.

1st thing I discovered, which I never gave a thought to, is the Green interior color. I've built so many USA WW11 aircraft, that Interior Green was automatic.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:00 PM UTC
Good luck with the build Joel, I will be following along with interest.

Ernest
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:31 AM UTC
Ernest,
Thanks. So far the OOB has been a lot of fun. The parts are super detailed , and the fit is dead on. Just did a little enhancing with the drill.

Will be posting my update later today.

Joel
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
I have the late version slated for an imminenet build, so will be following with interest.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
Joel, that is one of my favorite Spitfire camo schemes. Thanks for the post and those to come I will follow with interest.

Bob
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
Mike & Bob,
Welcome aboard. So far I'm already finding it hard not to want to add this or that. OOB builds do take a certain discipline and focus.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:23 PM UTC
Will be following this one closely Joel ...

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC
Terri,
Looking forward to you coming along for the ride, & keeping me honest through the build

I'm more then 1/2 way through the cockpit sub assemblies, and it's one of, if not the best 1/48 scale WW11 cockpits I've ever seen. It's that good.
Joel
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
Pictures, or it didn't happen!!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pictures, or it didn't happen!!

exactly ... talk is cheap
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hey,I just bought a brand new car on Monday. Been spending a lot of my free time trying to learn where everything is, an what it does.

1st update will be later tonight. Most of the cockpit sub-assemblies are done, but not weathered.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Pay no attention to the tail-pullers. Enjoy finding your way around your new "motor".

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:38 PM UTC
Rowan,
Thanks. I've wanted a sports sedan for some time, and I finally got one. A 2014 Hyundai Elantra Coupe Gt.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
Finally time for my 1st update.

I've got to tell you that I'm more then just impressed with the overall quality of the kit. Every part fits perfectly,& is extremely well detailed without any heavy handiness.

I started off with the cockpit, which is comprised several sub assemblies. The cockpit itself, is a sort of tub affair that glues to the fuselage halves, yet those halves are also part of the cockpit. I assemblied each side panel, then painted them Model Master Enamel RAF Interior Green. Here's one of the side panels:

I then started on the cockpit itself. The main bulkhead that the seat is attached to is very well detailed. The only issue I had was that the lightening holes were just recessed, and didn't look very convincing, so I drilled them out. I built up the floor which is also well detailed, then painted it. Here's the sub assembly test fitted to the side wall and fuselage half.

Next up was the instrument panel. Eduard give you two options, one is a plastic IP with raised detail that you apply a decal to, and the option which I took, a 3 layer PE panel with a plastic backing. The 1st colored PE layer contains all the instrument faces except the 6 main instruments which are a separate top panel. Then the next colored panel has the cut out for all the instruments, and the 6 main instruments faces. Then you add the 3rd center IP facing for those panels. A multi piece compass is then added, followed by the gun sight assembly. The IP once built is very impressive.

Next up was the pilots seat. It's comprised of a main seat with a nicely detailed seatback cushion. And two side panels. I found the seat to be rather thick and out of scale, so I sanded it down to have a more scale effect. There is also a stiffening brace (?) attached to the front of the seat assembly, that has lightening holes. I also drilled them out. The seat is painted Russet, which is a sort of red color. I tried my best to mix a color close to the pictures I had of it. The leather back didn't look convincing after airbrushing it flat International Nato Black, so I applied a heavy hand brushed coat. When dry, it had the look of a padded leather seatback. Once I'm done with the seat, I'll massage some of the oils off my hand with a Q-tip into the "leather" to give it a shine.

I test fitted all the components to get a feel for what it looks like.

I then did a quick fitting of the other fuselage halve, and every thing lined up perfectly.

Up next is making, then installing the Seatbelts and Harnesses, which is a mini kit of its own.

Joel

FredrikA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:18 PM UTC
It's looking good so far, and I'm sure you will find that the rest of the kit also falls together as it should. Eduard has done a good job.

Nice work on the cockpit! Depending on your ideas about whether the cockpit should be matt, semi-matt or glossy, might I suggest that you spray the instrument panel with some matt varnish and then fill the bezels with Kristal Klear or something like it. All of Eduard's pre-painted etch has got a sheen to it and I think that a matt coat on top enhances the look as it brings the colours together. It's possible that any top coat will do that, try according to your preference.

Looking forward to the next update.
/Fredrik
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi Joel,
Yes its a nice cockpit I would lose the flare rack (not a brace) on the front of the seat though, if its not to late
I'll be following along I have the original boxing but I have too many other kits on the go to start this at the moment
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 03:04 AM UTC
Good work on that 'pit so far. Coming along nicely. With those PE sandwhich IP's, I like to paint the layer with the instrument dials with a gloss varnish and the top layer matt before assembly. This gives the impression of glass over the dials when complete.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the input.

I'm planning on finishing the cockpit with dry brushing and a few washes, then a final coat of Dullcoat. The IP will get a 50/50 mix of Matt/gloss clear varnish, then I'll use some Pledge for lenses.

Mal, thanks for the info on what I thought was a brace, is in fact a flare bracket. Not so sure I can get it off without doing more damage then it's worth. My Brother also noted that I missed quite a bit of flash on the oxygen bottles, so they will have to be re-done. Also the gun sight is crooked, another case of crappy eyesight.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Joel

That flash is on the bottom of the bottles, so it won't show - but I must be from the same school of modelling as your brother, pithering about fixing stuff because I know it's there. I've definitely been "guilty" of that on the Shinden.

Nice work so far! I told you it's a great kit! You're building "cleaner" than I do, but then I'm a notoriously "dirty" finisher.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
Rowan,
I suffer from the same affliction, because I already scraped, sanded, and repainted those tanks.
Joel
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan,
I suffer from the same affliction, because I already scraped, sanded, and repainted those tanks.

It's a pity, really, because it's likely that the "flash" was actually supposed to be the connecting pipes, on the bottom of the tanks, which, incidentally, are compressed-air, not oxygen. The IX's oxygen bottles were at the rear of the fuselage, accessed by the rear hatch.
Edgar
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...but then I'm a notoriously "dirty" finisher.

"Finisher" ... really

cheers

Steffen
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rowan,

It's a pity, really, because it's likely that the "flash" was actually supposed to be the connecting pipes, on the bottom of the tanks, which, incidentally, are compressed-air, not oxygen. The IX's oxygen bottles were at the rear of the fuselage, accessed by the rear hatch.
Edgar

Edgar,
Yes, we all stand corrected. I met my Brother for breakfast this morning, and after discussing the pros and two cons of the new car (Hyundai Elantra Coupe), we talked out our current builds. He also pointed out that those tanks were compressed air, and that black tank at the rear is the oxygen bottle. I left the flash that connects the two tanks, but scraped and sanded the small about of casting seams on the bottom and lower sides. Then repainted. And like I said, once I test fitted the two fuselage halves, you can't really see much of the tanks.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP