_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Painting without an airbrush?
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 01:27 AM UTC
So here's a question to the more talented and experienced modellers out there: is it acceptable to be low-tech and brush paint everything? I do not own an airbrush mainly because I haven't been able to afford one in the past. As such my models have all been acrylic paint and brush painting. This is seen varying degrees of success, but I'm still limited to what my hands can do.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC
I have seen wonderful work done with brushes, so it is definately possible with practice, though I personally do not have any such skill.
Another option is rattle cans, I use Tamiya spray paints quite a bit, and there are a number of dull and gloss topcoat products in spray cans.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
As the Britmodeller inhabitants say it, many of my models have been done with a hairy stick:

I tend to do my airliners using spray cans

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
Even Natural Metal Finish can be done by brush.
This is by a brilliant guy on Kampfgruppe144 who calls himself Mig88

he said
Quoted Text

Using a smallish flat brush, I painted at least a couple of thin, well-spread coats of Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium with some areas touched up afterwards. I didn't polish it once dry. I gave it a coat of acrylic semi-gloss varnish (in this case of Aeromaster) which serves as a good base for the decals and seals in the metallic paint. Sometimes, when retouching, it's best to have a coat of varnish in between as you can end up removing rather than adding the paint. This metallic paint is normally thin but if it's not too thick it still goes on well. The secret is to spread it out well.

Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
There is a booklet you can download free as a pdf here:

http://www.getfreeebooks.com/?p=4366
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 08:30 AM UTC
I think we should do a "Hairy Brush campaign"
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:41 AM UTC
I'd go for a hairy stick campaign, I use brushes for small details, but prefer enamels to acrylics for brushing.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:13 AM UTC
This would have to be our campaign rallying image

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 11:05 AM UTC
that right there is about my skill level with brushes.

'hairy stick' scales up to 'bucket and mop'...

I feel a Porco Rosso Pirates' plane would fit in to a HS campaign..

brush painted as heck..
Bushioka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Wow, fast and high volume of response! Very impressed by the work that was shared and I feel better about my technique. My better results are not dissimilar from what others have done after all! Thanks for the reassurance and sharing your hairy stick projects! And a campaign? Could be interesting.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:32 PM UTC
Thanks Marty, I'm going to snag that book.

The last time I tried an overall hand painted finish, it was a disaster. It was so long ago the Beatles were still together.

Jesse, do you have the photo where they were painting the invasion stripes on with household paint rollers?
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:39 PM UTC

You can do a metal finish of outstanding quality using a Tamiya TS 83 spray can: It is very similar to a spray can version of Alclad.

It would require primer, and then a layer of Tamiya gloss black (just like Alclad) to perform best. (It attacks unprotected plastic)

The TS 83 can is 2.5 times more expensive than a regular Tamiya can, so with gloss black, and assuming spray Tamiya primer, you are looking at 3 whole cans: $9 (black) +$9 +$25(!): $45...

Alclad all by itself is crazy expensive anyway, so given the coverage offered, the prices above are not that far off shooting paint through an airbrush, but without having to buy one.

Not a cheap hobby.

Gaston
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 09:46 PM UTC
that depends a bit on choice of subject as well. If you choose 1/144 scale aircraft you might finish three of four models with those three spray cans...
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
Just posted this:-

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/219992
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
Antoni, thank you for posting the link to the ebook. I just read it and learned a great deal.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
Martyn,
From time to time I've seen models hand painted that looked the equal of air brushing. The best of the best were done by a master of the craft from Japan. His technique really takes a long time, but the results were amazing.

The biggest difference between the two techniques is that hand brushing applies a lot more paint, and the dreaded brush strokes. Basically his technique was thinned out paint, a large, long, soft brush, and one coat at a time. Let dry 24 hr, then sand, polish, next coat. etc. The end results are amazing, but like I said, it's a very long, time consuming process.

There are limitations to what paint schemes you can and can't hand paint correctly, such as feathered edges which never look quite right.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse, do you have the photo where they were painting the invasion stripes on with household paint rollers?

No, I don't think I've ever seen that one.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:38 AM UTC
The PR Spit Jessica posted is a wealth of detail when you deconstruct the photo. Look at how streaked the horizontal stab./elevator is. I can't place the locale although it is very dusty: note the streaking from atop the cowling; the obvious fuel spill that bound up, collected, and pulled dust and dirt along; look at the dark yuckie drooling off the top of the drop tank; it doesn't appear they even wiped the exhaust stain off the fuselage before painting over it.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC
Martyn,

the short answer is YES you can build good models without an airbrush.

Years ago the late-great Polly Scale paint predecessor Polly S came out with newsletters and how-to brochures. In one (I think I still have it buried away in an old paint box.) it showed a 1/72 aircraft that won an IMPS show due to it's finish. At a time when airbrushing was "the way", that model which was painted with Polly S with their "Polly Puff" brush (common sponge brush, or perhaps a slightly finer sponge) was judged superior to airbrushed finishes.

Conscientious strokes with good brushes full of well mixed and thinned paint is the key. Of course, your subject is also important. Tanks and the like are very convincing even with brush strokes. Brush stokes on aircraft do not have to be a no-no - just look at Jessica's photo above.

Our friends have posted a lot of good info above.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
Jonathan,

The pirate plane looks fun. What is it modeled after?
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jonathan,

The pirate plane looks fun. What is it modeled after?

Oh, Fred, you dont know Porco Rosso? that's an animated movie you might want to see. you may recall we did a Porco Rosso campaign here a couple years ago.

here's a little synopsis about the movie, and a tumblr of animated gifs, and some of Miyazaki's sketches of various pirates' planes

lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Of course good results can be obtained, but I think a good strategy for brush painting would imply: 1.- Enamels better than acrylics, specially better than Tamiya or Gunze unless you are to use the "japanese multi-layer slow technique" mentioned before. 2.- carefully avoid diffuminated finishes.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Still haven't found the paint roller one, but there is this:
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We have 7 souls on other KitMaker sites interested in a campaign!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 02:24 PM UTC
The paint roller. A great Canadian wartime invention... The gerries never caught up to our paint roller technology in time to influence the outcome of the war.

Fred get off your duff and watch porco rosso! I'll get everyone on this site to see that film if it's the last thing I do!
 _GOTOTOP