Restored Helldiver....
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hello,

I just wanted to share some photos. This past Sunday (April 20, 2014) I visited the Udvar Hazy Center Air and Space Museum (Smithsonian) in Chantilly, Virginia.

I had been following their restoration of a SBSC-5 Helldiver. They finally got it completed and had it out on the display floor. I finally got a chance to drive down and have a look at it.

She was a very very beautiful gal to say the least! It was a pure pleasure to see her in person! I snapped some photos an just wanted to share them here with my fellow modelers!

Now, I just HAVE to find a good 1/48 Helldiver kit and build my own model of her!!!!

Here you go.... Enjoy.

Spence

raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 05:35 AM UTC

raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC
It was a very rewarding trip. I also got to see several other planes. Including a Hellcat, P-39, Hawker Hurricane, Do335, Ar234, He219 (Unassembled), Fw190, P40, and a Corsair! A very relaxing walk for sure. Though I spent a lot of time in awe and taking photos!! LOL.

S
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Spencer,
thanks for the great photos. If you want a quarterscale Helldiver, I can recommend that old Revell-Monogram kit, which I still have somewhere in my stash .... It has decals for a USN, a French and an Italian version. Must look where I have it. This kit is hard to get in the meantime over here ....
In 2002 I visited DC and of course one of the main attractions for me was the NASM at the Mall (the Udvar Hazy Museum didn't exist back then). But I really got thrilled when I had the chance to visit Paul Garber Restauration Facilities in Suitland at the end of my holidays. The guy who showed us around was a Skyraider pilot from the Vietnam War. In that "Holy Halls" I saw so many great planes from WW2, a Bachem Natter (the last original), the cockpit section of a G4M Betty, a Me 210, a Kika (the Japanese Me 262), a B-17 C and my first P-61 Black Widow .... And also that He 219 you mentioned.
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
Yes....I also got to see the P61 black widow.....and took some photos. I can share them as well if you like. Maybe start a new post for those picts.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
Yes pleeeease! At the beginning of this millennium I still couldn't afford a digital camera and have used my good old Minolta X 700 mirror reflex camera in those dark rooms. Good enough for me but not good enough to show them here ....
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 12:50 PM UTC
Those are some excellent photos of an excellent restoration. The best Helldiver in 1/48 is the Monogram/Promodeller kit, which has also been released in an Accurate Miniatures box. Watch what a real expert can do with it
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi Spence

Really nice photos! You could submit these and others to go into our Walkarounds - that way they reach a wider audience and also don't chew up your on-line storage space.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC
Spence,
Thank you for sharing those photographs with us. I have a special interest in WW11 USN aircraft, especially dive bombers and Torpedo planes.

I've shied away from the old Monogram kit simply because I'm not a good enough builder to do justice to it by todays standards. I keep on hoping that some company like GWH will eventually do a state of the art Helldiver.

Joel
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those are some excellent photos of an excellent restoration. The best Helldiver in 1/48 is the Monogram/Promodeller kit, which has also been released in an Accurate Miniatures box. Watch what a real expert can do with it

Thanks!
Yes, I had already found his build. It is absolutely amazing. I wish I could do 1/10th as good with my future build of a Helldiver! That build is so very cool. Thanks for pointing it out.

Spence
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Spence

Really nice photos! You could submit these and others to go into our Walkarounds - that way they reach a wider audience and also don't chew up your on-line storage space.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

I would be more then happy to submit these and other photos to the walkaround section. I just need to learn how to do it, let me see if I can figure it out.

Thanks
Spence
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice on which Helldiver kit in 1/48 scale I should consider.

I am currently on the lookout for a Pro Modeler SBSC-4 Helldiver kit for sale.

So if anyone spots a good deal on one, please drop me line. )

Thanks
Spence
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Spence

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

I would be more then happy to submit these and other photos to the walkaround section. I just need to learn how to do it, let me see if I can figure it out.

Thanks
Spence

Hi Spence

Just e-mail pics to this address: [email protected]

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the advice on which Helldiver kit in 1/48 scale I should consider.

I am currently on the lookout for a Pro Modeler SBSC-4 Helldiver kit for sale.

So if anyone spots a good deal on one, please drop me line. )

Thanks
Spence

Spence,

There appear to be several on Ebay at what look like good prices, including one that ends in 7 hours (Pro-Modeller box) and one that ends tomorrow (Accurate Miniatures), both for around $20 so far (plus shipping).

Look here.

Michael
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC
Torsten, et al.,

When i visited Silver Hill back about 1994 they had one or two surviving Ho 229s. I recall they were planning to send them back to Germany for restoration, U-H keeping one for display. I've since read that there was only one but I recall seeing 2. Maybe the other was parts.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi all,
Back in November of 2012 the Confederate Air Force had their SBSC-4 Helldiver on display at the Stuart Air Show (that's Stuart Florida). So, for your consideration;

Beautifully restored plane. Too bad it never became a pilots favorite

Later
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
[quote]Spence,

There appear to be several on Ebay at what look like good prices, including one that ends in 7 hours (Pro-Modeller box) and one that ends tomorrow (Accurate Miniatures), both for around $20 so far (plus shipping).

Michael
[quote]

Thanks for posting the links Michael,

I will have my try and getting one at a decent price!

S
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Too bad it never became a pilots favorite

That's likely to be because of the constraints Curtiss was forced to design it under. In order to fit onto the standard US Navy deck elevator, it had to be short and stubby, which caused it to fly like a beast.

Those are great photos of a very nicely restored airplane though
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Torsten, et al.,

When i visited Silver Hill back about 1994 they had one or two surviving Ho 229s. I recall they were planning to send them back to Germany for restoration, U-H keeping one for display. I've since read that there was only one but I recall seeing 2. Maybe the other was parts.

Thanks. I have posted some pictures of the Smithsonian's Horten Ho-111's. One is a fully restored f model. the other is just the fuselage of a h model.

Not many pictures of them.......but I plan on going back and taking more. So standby.

Spence
 _GOTOTOP