_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WnW Fok.D.VII (OAW)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:52 PM UTC
is sold out. Kit #32030.

Kit review here.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:26 PM UTC
Yes, saw it this morning. Ordered this very kit only on Friday evening as well, so I hope mine got processed or picked up the WNW computer inventory (before) it flashed up as "Sold Out"..here's hoping!
Gary
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, saw it this morning. Ordered this very kit only on Friday evening as well, so I hope mine got processed or picked up the WNW computer inventory (before) it flashed up as "Sold Out"..here's hoping!
Gary

You probably got the last one Gary

I've fortunately got mine secured in the stash – but it makes me think of which ones I really want, before they are sold out...

/Mikael
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
Let's hope you are right Mikael.....???
Gary
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:22 AM UTC
I received mine on Thursday, 5 February.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
Working on mine - bummer news! There were other OAW's I wanted to build, so let's hope there is a dual pack out soon.

This is my first WnW D.VII I'm building, so wonder how interchangeable is plastic of the kit? How easy it is to build OAW out of remaining D.VII(Alb) kit with correct decal set and instructions?

I see a lot of interchangeable plastic between the three variants (which probably means D.VII(Alb) is quickly on the way out).
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 - 05:44 AM UTC
Being pragmatic Ivan, given the dire state of the German Jastas by the latter part of the war, I would imagine engine panels were swapped all over the place to keep these machines in the air. Considering that most pics are grainy 100 years old B&W pics, who is to say you are wrong by using some licence?

Of more significance, would 99.9% of modellers (really) know a Fok/OAW/Alb production machine from the next?

Build and enjoy these magnificent kits for what they are!

Gary
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC
Actually, most glassplate photos are incredibly sharp, if captured well - it's the reproductions that are usually lifted off 72dpi and below prints that are useless

I agree with your other point - there is lots of parts swapping noted in WnW manual for lots of the aircraft.

Happy modeling!

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hi there

Looking at these early classics disappearing one-by-one, I just placed an order for a SE.5a "Hisso" while the going's good. Although it's always been a favourite aircraft of mine, for some bizarre reason, I never did treat myself to a WNW SE.5a. until now.

It's a bit special, so I'm calling it a last birthday present from Mum, although I'm not much in a birthday mood for obvious reasons just now following her passing. I must do her proud with a build of the beastie!

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, it took a wee while to arrive, but the Hisso's landed safely

Still an absolute gem, despite its age. Anyone who fancies one of these early WNW kits should definitely start thinking about ordering while they are still available.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
I'd still love to get hold of any wnw kits. I am leaning towards one of the 2 seaters. They seem to be more impressive looking models.
How are the prices direct from them compared to UK rrp from sellers here? Plus, did you get screwed by import duty? I've had that happen to me a couple of times when I've ordered from HLJ and from the US and it's usually cost me more than buying closer to home. Makes me a bit wary these days.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How are the prices direct from them compared to UK rrp from sellers here? Plus, did you get screwed by import duty? I've had that happen to me a couple of times when I've ordered from HLJ and from the US and it's usually cost me more than buying closer to home. Makes me a bit wary these days.

Hi Stephen

In this case, even after VAT and clearance fee, it worked out about £9 cheaper than buying from Hannants.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

In this case, even after VAT and clearance fee, it worked out about £9 cheaper than buying from Hannants.

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan, that's a big help to me in making my decision. So I'm probably looking at about 60 quid for a single seater and about 80ish for a 2 seater with VAT and handling fees?

Stephen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

More like £64 for a single-seater. The kit itself is just under £6 cheaper bought direct - I was including Hannants' extra P&P fee in the £9 saving (it's free from WnW).

I'm not sure, but you may be able to save a bit more by buying a couple of kits together, because I imagine the Royal Mail clearance fee (separate from the VAT charge) applies to the package as a whole, not the number of items inside?

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

More like £64 for a single-seater. The kit itself is just under £6 cheaper bought direct - I was including Hannants' extra P&P fee in the £9 saving (it's free from WnW).

I'm not sure, but you may be able to save a bit more by buying a couple of kits together, because I imagine the Royal Mail clearance fee (separate from the VAT charge) applies to the package as a whole, not the number of items inside?

All the best

Rowan

Last time I had an £8 handling fee from Royal Mail which bumped it up. The VAT doesn't add much admittedly, but that fee does add to it. So I can see your point about maybe ordering 2 kits. I'll see how funds are over the next couple of months. I do owe it to myself to get one of these kits before real life puts a block on it. I did a rough calculation and got a total price of £87 for a 2 seater, so a saving £12 at least.
 _GOTOTOP