_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 scale P-47D limited Edition
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for keeping us entertained Joel! I'm stuck with the CAD tonight (those customers...) but I hope I'll get some stuff done over the weekend...

I wouldn't worry that much about the elevator mismatch, don't do anything that ruins the model at this stage!

Magnus

Magnus,
Glad I'm the main entertainment on tap for tonight.

Already made my life that much harder trying to install the bomb/tank stations. Used too much Extra Thin, So now it's sanding, some putty work, re-scribing, and polishing to get back to where I already was.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
Well, work on the Jug continues at a snails pace, but progress has been made.

1st up was the resin Hamilton-Standard 4 blade propeller. It's an upgrade to the standard injection molded Curtiss Electric prop. Four separate resin blades and a resin hub comprise the sub assembly. Eduard has provided a small jig so that even I couldn't miss align the individual blades.

And finally the completed prop:

With the fuselage reaching the basic painting stage, I used the Eduard supplied masks for the windscreen, then glued it in place using Tamiya Extra Thin liquid glue.

With the planned NMF for the Jug, it was time to start the painting process. I'm by no means an expert or even that well versed in Alcad finishes. I polished the fuselage with the Micro Mesh system of pads from 4,000 to 12,000, then wiped it down with Isopropyl Alcohol. I decided not to prime 1st since there was very little putty work which was only to fill small gaps in the wing roots. I used Green Stuff, followed by hand brushed Tamiya Gray primer, and then a coat of Thin Zap A Gap CA glue. So I was pretty sure that the putty wouldn't show nor be porous. Using Alcad's enamel based Gloss Black base paint, which is pre-thinned, I air brushed the bottom of the fuselage with a flow rate pressure of 16 psi. The following day I did the top side, cowl,gear doors, as well as the 200 gal centerline flat drop tank, and the two 75 gal wing drop tanks.

I was curious to see how the exhaust vents that I scratch built looked with some paint on them.

I'll give the base paint a few days to cure, then I'll polish it out with Mequiar's Scratch X2.0.

Joel

PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 04:03 AM UTC
Looking sharp, Joel!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking sharp, Joel!

Paul,
Thanks. Glad to see you around.
Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:12 AM UTC
Looks promising in black, so it's a good bet that the NMF will fall in place nicely.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks promising in black, so it's a good bet that the NMF will fall in place nicely.

Matt,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The finish is really too rough which is completely my fault. It's been ages since I last applied a gloss finish, and even though I lowered the flow psi rate and made slow passes, the amount of paint to air mixture was too much like what I would have used for a matt finish. Hence, the orange peel effect, that now has to be polished out.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
Well, after polishing out the gloss black base, I'm still not happy with the finish.

Honestly, I've been struggling to keep up my enthusiasm for this build. So for the time being, the Jug has just become my 1st Shelf Queen. I guess sooner or later just about everyone has one. And this build has become mine.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:01 PM UTC
Yup , I have a few shelf queens in the stash where the mojo just peter out or do the lack of ref's in one case .

So what's next ?

Terri
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, after polishing out the gloss black base, I'm still not happy with the finish.

Honestly, I've been struggling to keep up my enthusiasm for this build. So for the time being, the Jug has just become my 1st Shelf Queen. I guess sooner or later just about everyone has one. And this build has become mine.

Joel

Say what!? oh heck, just finish it in a nice OD/Neutral grey scheme! Don't get "target fixated" on the NMF is my recommendation. Plus, that asymmetric Curtiss prop looks fabulous. It's not like you can't find decals for this model!

Step back a bit Joel. The black "primer" finish looks great for a camo P-47. Why, you've already done the black for the invasion stripes!

I've been away from your build blog for a while due to my day job, and "running in cement" progress on the B-17, but if I were you I wouldn't stop here, just change direction.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup , I have a few shelf queens in the stash where the mojo just peter out or do the lack of ref's in one case .

So what's next ?

Terri

Terri,
Excellent question. I keep on looking at everything in my stash from the KH Cougar to, the Eduard Spitfire Mk,IX !! Can you actually believe I'm thinking of doing a non-USA aircraft!!

Not to mention but I have both the Tamiya P-47D Razorback and the Bubble Jugs calling my name. I've never done a duel build in my entire life, but one right after the other would be new ground for me.

Right now I'm really leaning towards the Spit just to break the mold.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Say what!? oh heck, just finish it in a nice OD/Neutral grey scheme! Don't get "target fixated" on the NMF is my recommendation. Plus, that asymmetric Curtiss prop looks fabulous. It's not like you can't find decals for this model!

Step back a bit Joel. The black "primer" finish looks great for a camo P-47. Why, you've already done the black for the invasion stripes!

I've been away from your build blog for a while due to my day job, and "running in cement" progress on the B-17, but if I were you I wouldn't stop here, just change direction.

Brian,
Wondered where you've been. I've kind of been off the board the last day or so, I've missed your latest updates.

Usually, I just muddle through a build, but the Academy kit just has sucked the Mojo out of me. Like I said to Terri, it's much more likely that I'll end up doing both Tamiya Jugs before the Academy kit gets finished. Maybe following the incrediable GWH F-15C is part of it, I just don't know.

But I felt that I just didn't want the build to fade away and those interested wonder what happened to it.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:18 AM UTC
Joel! A Spitfire (especially one from Eduard) is always right but I still think that you could finish this T-bolt as an OD aircraft, that black primer won't get better in storage !

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel! A Spitfire (especially one from Eduard) is always right but I still think that you could finish this T-bolt as an OD aircraft, that black primer won't get better in storage !

Magnus

Magnus,
Most certainly not. But out of sight, out of mind, and like I said the Tamiya duo has been calling me of late.

Besides, this is going to be my 1st Spit on a stick

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
Joel, I think your P-47 has come along nicely to the point you stopped. I can also understand your frustration about the NMF. It's never an easy task, though it looks fanatsic in the end. Sometimes everyone of us needs a break. If you feel, that you need a Spit in your collection, go for it. Personally I would grab the 2 Tamiya Jugs and build them. But do the Dual Combo. It will save you a lot of time and Tamiya is the way to go. They have not too many parts and go together like Easy Kits. Maybe you remember my "Hawkeye" from 2012? Just fantastic!
And after you've finished them, I can offer you a little motivation push to finish that Eduard kit with an older T'bolt from my collection (also Academy). Surely not as good as yours will turn out finally, but good enough for motivation anyway. Have a look if you like.

Torsten
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually, I just muddle through a build, but the Academy kit just has sucked the Mojo out of me. Like I said to Terri, it's much more likely that I'll end up doing both Tamiya Jugs before the Academy kit gets finished.
Joel

What was it about the kit that got you down? Or was it the kit and the NMF finish?

Ignorance is bliss for me, I've never tried a NMF build. Or, I should say, never completed one. A couple of years back I tried to build a Fine Molds early Oscar II in Manchukuo markings with NMF, and thought I was going to make it, and then, and then * * * I started going backwards.

The only thing left is a fairly decent propeller waiting for Attempt #2 someday, * * * maybe * * * perhaps.

There are few things more frustrating for an experienced modeler.

"Oh dear Lord Jesus, this ain't happening, man... This can't be happening, man! This isn't happening!"

I still think you could do a great OD version of this. Think Brazilian:

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:13 AM UTC
Brian,
It's the Academy kit coupled with the Alcad Black Gloss base. Looks better in the pictures then in person. I should have used the Tamiya Gloss Black. I polished it out, but it's still not what I want nor need for an Alcad finish.

Like I said, I'm planning on build both Tamiya 1/48 scale P-47D Jugs this year, maybe the bubble will be a NMF, maybe not. But the Razorback will be in OD/NG of the 56th fighter group.

I've tinkered with the Cougar, and the more I do, the less I want to tackle it right now. So I'm going with Eduard's The Longest Day Spitfire IXc. It's a fantastic kit with tons of detail. All I really need to do is tweak it, and enhance it here and there. This will officially break my only USA WW11 build syndrome.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
So I'm going with Eduard's The Longest Day Spitfire IXc. It's a fantastic kit with tons of detail. All I really need to do is tweak it, and enhance it here and there. This will officially break my only USA WW11 build syndrome.

Joel

My only comments are that it's a beautiful kit indeed. I don't have the limited edition, but do have the main issues, IXc early and IXe. I am also interested in the new Mk. VIII.

I did one Spit in early camo (Tamiya Mk. I converted to a II, Eagle Sq.) and have a "shelf model" VC from the old, old Airfix kit in Aussie markings. I would like to do a IX in RAF markings and an VIII in Med. USAAF livery one day.

But there's a project I'm working on I have to finish first.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:41 AM UTC
You will love the Eduard Spit, Joel. It just might be the nicest kit I have built. Now if only they would design a Mustang with all of that detail!

I know what you mean with just not feeling a kit. I ran into it building my Academy P-38 as an F-5E. It wasn't fun to work on it so it just lingered until I finally finished it off. My solution to those kits that drag is to shift gears and build something shake'n'bake, like a Tamiya or Hasegawa.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You will love the Eduard Spit, Joel. It just might be the nicest kit I have built. Now if only they would design a Mustang with all of that detail!

I know what you mean with just not feeling a kit. I ran into it building my Academy P-38 as an F-5E. It wasn't fun to work on it so it just lingered until I finally finished it off. My solution to those kits that drag is to shift gears and build something shake'n'bake, like a Tamiya or Hasegawa.

Paul,
Exactly how I felt about the kit. And like I said the issue with the Alcad gloss black base only made it worse. So this year I'm building both Tamiya 1/48 scale Jugs, and will stick to my original idea of not trying to re-invent the wheel with a lesser kit just for the sake of building it.

I've started on the Spit Mk.IX, and it's amazing. Eduard has designed, engineered, and produced a real winner. Heck, it looks as good as the GWH F-15C that I still think is the best kit I've ever built. I have all the proper colors by Tamiya on my paint shelf except the spinner "Sky" color, so I'll have to put it on my "needs list" for my next Sprue Brother's order.

I would kill for the P-51 Mustang family to be done by Eduard to this high standard. Somehow I don't think we'll ever see that come to fruition.

Joel

slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:01 AM UTC
Joel,

I followed this build with great interest and I know you put it on the shelf for now, but it inspired me to start my Eduard P-47. I decided to tackle the oil cooler exhaust vent first. I wanted to try doing the vents in brass. I think they came out reasonable, but I want to see what they look like under primer before starting on the cockpit.

Russ

http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/429084/ppuser/56345
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:28 AM UTC
Russ,
They really look good especially since we're looking at a picture greater then 1:1.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP