_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC
I'm considering a Wingnut Wings aircraft, for some diversity, as I usually build armor or ship models. So I thought I'd take a little poll:
1) How many members here have a Wingnut Wings kit?
2) How many members here have built one (or two..)?
3) If you have one and didn't build it, why not?
4) When building one OOB, what is the general concensus of the quality, buildability, etc.?
5) Any need for AM?
Kudos to Peter Jackson

PS; does any one have any idea of which plastic company actually does the molding? I understand various companies have contracted Trumpeter/Hobby Boss to produce their kits.
ColDunwerk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
I currently have eight of these gorgeous kits. All are still unbuilt, as aircraft take second place to armor in my modeling production line. Wingnut Wings make a habit of discontinuing production of specific models without much notice (the sudden disappearance of their Fokker DVII's was a real shocker), so I now buy any that interest me as soon as they come out. I can't personally attest to their ease of construction yet, but all of the online reviews I've read have been very complimentary. The kits are somewhat expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are incredibly molded and include almost everything needed to produce a stunning model OOB. Depending on one's own standards and the specific a/c being modeled, possible aftermarket additions include pilot/observer figures, seat belts, alternate markings, rigging line/anchors and wire wheels. I plan to start with a monoplane like the Fokker E-II or Hansa-Brandenberg W-12 seaplane and, if successful, work up to my DH-2. Good luck with building one of your own!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
I have built 4 and have several more unbuilt. They have single handedly gotten me into WWI modeling, I think they're fantastic! The only thing I've added to any of mine is rigging for which I use EZ-Line (which WNW sells). The kits come with small photo-etch sheets including seat belts and German gun jackets when needed. I'm not a believer in turnbuckles but other folks are and can tell you about them (they don't come in the kits).

Highly recommended by someone who's actually built some!

Michael
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hello.

I have bought every WNW kit released (and many duplicates) with the exception of the AEG and new Albatros 2 seater; neither of which are of any interest to me as subjects.

They are all superb models but you (MUST) ensure that you check and check again the fit of parts because even a slither of paint or tiny excess build up of glue will cause fit problems; the fit tolerances are so tight as to be almost jewel-like in places.

If you want a good easy one to start with, I suggest the Pfalz DIIIa as I think you cannot go far wrong in terms of both fit of parts, ease of build and a simple rigging layout. By way of polite suggestion, I would NOT start with a Fokker DVII (any version) lured by the absence of any rigging because as a build, especially round the engine and front cowls, it can catch out the unwary or someone new to WW1 modelling. The inscale wing struts also require respect and a delicate touch for correct set-up.

Bottom line, buy into a modelling experience almost without equal and I promise you will love every moment of it!

Cheers!
Gary
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
[quote]I'm considering a Wingnut Wings aircraft
1) How many members here have a Wingnut Wings kit?
2) How many members here have built one (or two..)?
3) If you have one and didn't build it, why not?
4) When building one OOB, what is the general concensus of the quality, buildability, etc.?
5) Any need for am?

I have several including the dogfight series.
I have built a Biff
No concerns they are all imminently buildable.
Keep mating surfaces clear of glue and paint , this is non negotiable!
No real need for am , there are a lot of sets available if you wanna go there. Rigging for English planes use the WNW Prym flat rigging material, DO NOT use p/e flat rigging , it does not work. Gaspatch has turnbuckles , prolly the only real nessecity as far as am goes. Tons of figs available now for dio application , Kellerkind and Copper State for starters.

Some of the kits are better than the others , the Biff is a harder kit, the Tripe looks to be a lot easier. Build it OOB or super detail the crap outta it its up to you.

The beginning of my Gotha build here:
http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/4487-a-gotha/#entry58135

My Biff:

Enjoy them they are state of the art , on par with a Tamiya 1/32 if not better.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
I have built a couple including one for Canvas Falcon campaign and will start another soon. I agree with the others about fit and care on mating surfaces.
The only aftermarket I have used is Bob Buckles and Master guns which I think are a big improvement over the kit guns.
I think if you wanted to start with one that has minimal rigging and fairly straight forward build I would go for the Junkers J.1 It was my first WNW kit and it should suit an armor guy

cheers
Michael
27-1025
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
Only have one so far; Sopwith Snipe. Still unbuilt, wanting to buy some Bob's Buckles and Gas Patch turnbuckles before I get started. Hoping that WNW will delve into between the wars RAF subjects.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:17 PM UTC
I' must confess I'm on my eighteenth WNW kit (the AEG late) and I have many more than I care to admit to my wife in the stash. (Yes I'm an addict to Sir Peters fantastic plastics).

The quality is excellent and on par with Tamiya. This can also be a bit of a problem – fit is so tight that even a thin layer of paint could result in aligning issues that will have consequences later on in the build. So, like some already have said make sure the mating surfaces are sans paint. Dry-fit and make sure the cockpit sits correctly in the fuselage and you should have no problems. Engineering is as good as it can be – for example mating the upper wing is comparatively easy with these kits – so of you want to do a WWI biplane, I would defiantly give these kist a go.

In my opinion – no you don't need any AM materials. Like some other here I use Bob's buckles for rigging.

Have fun
/Mikael

Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC
Thanks, everyone. Great builds - very inspiring!
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks Biggles for bringing up the subject !
How are the rigging diagrams, easy to follow or a real PIA?
Is there a lot of reference material out there to go by or are the kit instructions all inclusive ?
Thanks to all who posted pics of their builds ! NICE stuff !
Mikael, 18 planes, where in the world do you display them ?
Tom
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Biggles for bringing up the subject !
How are the rigging diagrams, easy to follow or a real PIA?
Is there a lot of reference material out there to go by or are the kit instructions all inclusive ?
Thanks to all who posted pics of their builds ! NICE stuff !
Tom

Rigging diagrams are as easy as they can be, the Felix is daunting but the diagrams are color coded and take the modelling experience into perspective.
Reference materials are expanding at an exponential rate for these subjects , partly due to these kits. The kits have enough ref's in the instructions to do a more than decent job.
Good luck!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom

Oh the 18 are just the WNW models, I have a lot more from Roden, Special Hobby, Academy and even the odd Battle Axe on display behind a false wall in the living room...
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... on display behind a false wall in the living room...

You mean you hide them in a secret room?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hi there

Mikael and Steve - I think we need to see those gorgeous builds on the frontpage as Features!

The best answer I can offer to Biggles2 is that I'm loving the Wingnuts kits I'm currently building (my New Year's resolution is to begin to clear more modelling time so that I can progress quicker...) - and that I'm just reaching for my wallet to order the next one for my birthday-present-to-me!

All the best

Rowan
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The kits are somewhat expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Actually, I find WNW prices quite reasonable for a 1/32 kit (at least, before CDN dollar dived), with free shipping, or included in cost.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC
I'd love to get my hands on one, but unsure what to go for and money is a little tight at the moment. I'm very tempted by one of the Rumpler C.IV's or DFW C.V.
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 01:55 AM UTC
Buy what you can afford. AM is not required , the kits are exceptional.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually, I find WNW prices quite reasonable for a 1/32 kit (at least, before CDN dollar dived), with free shipping, or included in cost.

Hi there

In the UK it's definitely worth ordering direct from Wingnuts - even after paying the customs duty etc., it works out cheaper.

All the best

Rowan
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Mikael and Steve - I think we need to see those gorgeous builds on the frontpage as Features!

Hi Rowan, well – the Felix is actually slotted for a coming book release on the subject of 1:32 scale aircraft modelling. I can check with the publisher if he is willing to share the build with aeroscale after the book is released. The Fee was a front page story a few years back if memory serves me.

All the best
/Mikael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there

In the UK it's definitely worth ordering direct from Wingnuts - even after paying the customs duty etc., it works out cheaper.

All the best

Rowan

Around about how much I expect to pay after customs and handling is put on top? Just after a rough price I ran the cost of the Rumpler through a currency converter which came out at £64, so already cheaper than a well known UK trader!
Cheers.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Don't know about the UK but they just sent around an email here in the States saying due to currency values prices go up next month, so you might want to jump fast!

Michael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know about the UK but they just sent around an email here in the States saying due to currency values prices go up next month, so you might want to jump fast!

Michael

Good to know. I'm going to have a look in my savings as I think I might be able to spare some (I just hope my other half doesn't ask too many questions about how much it will cost. She is good about the hobby and usually tolerant).
I am determined to get at least one of their kits!
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael

is there an idea or speculation on the % of the USD increase?
Xirrcom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm considering a Wingnut Wings aircraft, for some diversity, as I usually build armor or ship models.

Hi Biggles,
Definitely go for it it's an experience in itself. Currently owning 8 kitsets, one already in the process. Molds are great with good amount of details, so from that point of view you can build great looking model OOB. Instructions are one of the best in the market with a lot of additional info and reference pictures. Many options for different painting schemes - for sure fun to build!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi there

Hi Rowan, well – the Felix is actually slotted for a coming book release on the subject of 1:32 scale aircraft modelling. I can check with the publisher if he is willing to share the build with aeroscale after the book is released. The Fee was a front page story a few years back if memory serves me.

All the best
/Mikael

Hi Mikael

It would be brilliant if your publisher does allow us to use some shots. We can always include a link to the book to encourage more sales.

If you've got any other builds we haven't featured on the frontpage, just drop Jessie or myself a line, because we'd love to showcase them.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP