_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Photobucket Problems?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi folks!
In the past few days I noticed massive problems on my Photobucket side concerning upload, copy and paste. It just doesn't work. Do you noticed the same problems? Maybe they have been hacked or a bug. It wouldn't make me wonder .... All the photos in my threads don't show up.
I'm really fed up with all their problems and wonder if you could recommend another free and reliable picture host.

Torsten
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC
I’ve had problems with Photobucket for several months now, although maybe not the same as yours.

1. I’ve noticed massive slowdowns during upload sessions.

2. When uploading my Images, they appear randomly and not at the end of the selected album as they used to.

3. The ’Manual Sorting’ function no longer works. After going through the trouble of locating, sorting my images, I refresh the page and the images just scatter about again.

One thing I tried yesterday with a new album, was to upload using the ’Oldest First’ selection which I believe is the default setting. At least this seems to preserve some sense of chronological order.

I have been in contact with Photobucket Tech Support for months now regarding the sorting issue, and all they have to say is … “Unfortunately, at this time we do not have an ETA for when the sorting issue will be resolved.” Note: All their ads seem to work just dandy though!!!

Hope they get this resolved so we can get back to model building without having to deal with these frustrating technical issues!

—mike
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... One thing I tried yesterday with a new album, was to upload using the ’Oldest First’ selection which I believe is the default setting. At least this seems to preserve some sense of chronological order. ...

Well, that didn't work either, the images just scatter wherever they want and there's no stopping them! So it's back to square one!

—mike
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 04:58 AM UTC
The solution to the photobucket problem is to never use it again.

www.imgur.com is far better in every way.
Monte
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The solution to the photobucket problem is to never use it again.

www.imgur.com is far better in every way.

Good. I can't stand photobucket. I'll give them a try.
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
And then, what do you do about all of your broken links?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
Thanks for all your replies, guys! I see, I'm not alone ....

Mike, my problems are different to yours. On Friday I sent a link with my latest Spitfire photos from the EB Memorial Campaign to a friend in Leipzig and everything was fine. On Saturday all photos in all my threads were gone and uploading new ones to the Photobucket side was not possible. It stayed the same on Sunday. I just checked my Assembly Line Thread and all photos are right there again. I don't understand what Photobucket does. Maybe they have a "weekend shut down" ....? It would make me very sad if the photos especially in that thread would be gone forever. It's a continuous work of nearly 5 years now .... I guess Photobucket is also very slow in working because of all the adds. But that makes it also free to use, so I have no reason to complain.

Matt, thanks very much for that hint with imgur. I will give them a try and check out how that host works.

Torsten
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... On Friday I sent a link with my latest Spitfire photos from the EB Memorial Campaign to a friend in Leipzig and everything was fine. On Saturday all photos in all my threads were gone and uploading new ones to the Photobucket side was not possible. It stayed the same on Sunday. I just checked my Assembly Line Thread and all photos are right there again. I don't understand what Photobucket does. Maybe they have a "weekend shut down" ...

Torsten,
I've seen that happen before, even here at the KitMaker Network — without warning. You will notice that the forum threads tend to light-up questioning the problem — bad time to post. Eventually, IT will respond that they were dealing with some maintenance issues. Depending on your time zone, these routine interruptions could effect you ... or not.

The slowdown I mentioned earlier was not ad related ... annoying as they are.

A question for the "www.imgur.com" fan base: Is this a completely ad-free hosting site or is it just more of the same old, same old ... only different?

Cheers,
—mike
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC
Mike, I've tested imgur yesterday and today and if you learn how it works, it is quite easy. There are a few adds yes, but I don't feel disturbed by them. Uploading is easy and quick (a lot quicker than Photobucket). I already know how to copy and paste the photos to Aeroscale and how to organize my albums. Hope they don't delete my photos one day .... I think I can stay with them for a while ....

Torsten
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have images hosted there that are more than several years old and they still work just fine.
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have images hosted there that are more than several years old and they still work just fine.

What I was referring to: If one was to close-out a 'Photobucket' account in favor of an 'imgur' account, wouldn't that sever the links to years of images posted in the forums, leaving hundreds of cute little kitty cats in their place?

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:20 PM UTC
i've also had loads of problems with photobucket but i thought it was my internet connection...

will try flickr and see what thats like.

cheers paul
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What I was referring to: If one was to close-out a 'Photobucket' account in favor of an 'imgur' account, wouldn't that sever the links to years of images posted in the forums, leaving hundreds of cute little kitty cats in their place?

Mike,
Why would you close your photobucket account? Just open the new account, and leave Photobucket as is.
Joel

justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,
Why would you close your photobucket account? Just open the new account, and leave Photobucket as is.
Joel

Hi Joel,
My question was hypothetical in nature — just getting a feel for how others are dealing with image hosting sites in general and I think you've confirmed what I believed was the trend. Linking images to several different hosting sites all over the Interweb is not my idea of a good time and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid ... been there, done that. Over the years, I’ve had 'MySpace,’ 'FaceBook,’ and ’Flicker’ accounts. Not to mention ... my friends and family trying to convince me to join a variety of hokey-pokey social media sites — since then, I’ve closed them all.

In 2014, shortly after I returned to modeling, I joined the 'KitMaker Network,' and before I knew it, my galleries were completely full! At that time, the new trend was towards 'Photobucket’ and I’ve been using it ever since. Yes, it has been glitchy as of late but I think I’ll stay put and tough it out for now. With exception to a few leftover images in the ’KitMaker’ galleries, I just use ‘Photobucket.’ Otherwise, I’m “off the grid” and all other accounts are permanently closed, it’s just simpler for me that way.

Happy modeling!
—mike
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 05:22 PM UTC
Well well. If I'm really understanding it correctly, it looks like all those problems with Photobucket concerning uploading, managing and linking to pictures on forums will be a thing of the past. And not in a good way...

http://photobucket.com/terms

Quoted Text

"Free account ... The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting."

Nice. So they finally decided to cease repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and realized going for the temple is so much quicker?
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 06:28 PM UTC
I also just noticed my photobucket links all went dead and now apparently its $69.99 a year for an account that can link/3rd party host. I just dont post enough to justify that. Guess I'm going elsewhere. It was usually slow but it didnt bother me too much
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 08:24 PM UTC
Based on checking a few threads, my photos seem to be still up (*knocks on woods*), but I guess it's probably only a matter of time until the hammer is dropped on all users with free accounts.

Whatever reasoning they got behind this decision (my first guess would be good ol' greed), it's still baffling they assume enough people would happily start forking out the money to re-enable 3rd party hosting, with so many free-to-use image hosting options available nowadays, with most (if not all...) with far superior UI and faster user experience. With the current state of their site, I wouldn't be surprised if the great majority of their userbase comprised of people who've had their accounts for quite a while and have used PB as their main picture hosting service, and haven't changed to something better because they got all their eggs in one basket. I can personally say I'm firmly in that group, having registered my account way back in 2004.

And I don't for a second believe anyone is using Photobucket for anything else other than hosting pictures to show on other platforms. Even though they've seemed to have put some effort into making PB more into a moer of a 'social media' type image sharing community (and this newest change in their terms of use seems to reinforce that notion), the site is simply just way too obnoxiously sluggish and cumbersome to use for anything else than logging in, uploading your photos, and getting those IMG tagged links for posting on other places. It's not exactly a place you want to spend time on just browsing around.

Now getting a new account at some other hosting service would be a non-issue in itself, and practically nothing I have uploaded on PB are the only copies, but just suddenly losing the linking of hundreds of photos is something else. And in the case of Kitmaker Network posts, I'm not even sure if those could be fixed since you can't edit posts after 15~20 minutes after submitting them.
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 09:27 PM UTC
I have not seen this yet,my old posts with Photobucket pictures are still showing.I pay $12 a year to be ad free,but thats all.

Hopefully this isn't going to happen to all.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well well. If I'm really understanding it correctly, it looks like all those problems with Photobucket concerning uploading, managing and linking to pictures on forums will be a thing of the past. And not in a good way...

http://photobucket.com/terms

Quoted Text

"Free account ... The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting."

Nice. So they finally decided to cease repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and realized going for the temple is so much quicker?

i had come across this in armorama. they noticed this issue before here. they said the same thing, that it was now a pay site but not everyone was having problems. seems some still had free hosting.

joe
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:55 PM UTC
Yep, I received an email regarding this this morning and assumed it was spam until I came and checked out some of my posts here.

This is actually a thing.

Goodbye Photobucket, you served me well for many a year but the problems of the past one or two have eased this parting considerably.

Best options for an alternative???
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 02:22 PM UTC
This underlines several things:

1. Staff_Jim may better hurry finding a solution to download all "foreig"n pictures and store these on the kitmaker servers, otherwise there will be huge amount of missing pictures on this site soon.

2. it underlines that the inernet business model whereby normal people get "everything for free" in the hope of selling the data of those people, or generate money with advertising does not always work.

3. users will have to get their head around paying for the services a website provides, and site owners will have to accept that they will have to provide a high quality service (with other words: invest) in their clients or they will be gone.

In conclusion, the internet may be slowly moving toward a more classical business model but that transition may be painfull.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 02:23 PM UTC
Same problem with my account.

My choice is Imgur now!

Is there any chance to edit my older posts and insert the new links? I cannot find the edit button in older posts.

Oliver
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same problem with my account.

My choice is Imgur now!

Is there any chance to edit my older posts and insert the new links? I cannot find the edit button in older posts.

Oliver

Ah, thats a really good point... I was going to go back through some of my old threads and update the image links but is that even an option?
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:31 PM UTC
The problem seems to be if you've embedded a photo with a link back to PB, PB then put an image in it's place telling you to go to a certain page on the website and from there you get a chance to "subscribe" the cost of this is non negotiable you pay for a year and get this it's $399 dollars US!! Time to move elsewhere see you later Photobucket way to lose you member base!

As to broken links that has now become unavoidable all of the pictures I have posted on this site have been through Photobucket and now all you see is an add for PB's latest money gouging scheme.

2017-07-01_0-55-27 by Chris WIlson, on Flickr
27-1025
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 07:20 PM UTC
Same here. They want $400.00 per year to post pictures on sites like this one. Just deleted my PB account and have started adding all my images to IMGUR.
 _GOTOTOP