_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Saab J 21A (Pilot Replicas)
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Back to the hobby after many years hiatus! And such a glorious time to return for someone who loves Swedish aircraft, with an ever increasing number of excellent models being released in both 1/72 and 1/48. In my view, the releases from Pilot Replicas are top of the line (albeit there are issues). First one on the work bench is the Saab J-21A in 1/48. I decided to go OOB and to keep the level of ambition low to moderate, as I would rather get the model finished than get stuck in detailing the innermost nooks of the glove compartment. I further decided to make a bird from the wing in Gothenburg (where I now reside).

I started of with the pilot (sold seperately). Very nice moulding, and perfect fit for the cockpit. Not used to painting figures, but this was fun! I named him Glenn, which is the most common name in Gothenburg.

The cockpit had sufficient detail straight out of the box. The fit of the parts where excellent (almost too tight at times). Surface detail is perfect. The kit, however, lacks certain detail so there is room for some aftermarket or scratch is one wish to put more detail into it.

Weathering was very subtle on the top of the aircraft (panel lines can hardly be seen on pictures of the real thing), but I added a little oil wash on the belly.

I must admit that I am rather happy with the end result. It was loads of fun to build and it truly looks like a J 21. The model can be built straight from the box with sufficient result, but with extra work and detailing, it may become a real gem. Nice work, Pilot Replicas!

And this is how it might have looked when exiting the Swedish Air Force bunker (built inside the rock) in Gothenburg in the early 1950's (sorry for the poor photoshoping - my first try!).

Next up: The Pilot Replicas Saab J-29F "Tunnan"...

Cheers! // PolarBear
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC
Lovely build Bjorn. The J21 is a really nice looking aircraft, with such a unique configuration.

Cheers, D
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Welcome back Bjorn and a lovely build of the Saab J 21A by Pilot Replicas. Yes it's a good time to be a modeller of Swedish types. Which is great as Saab are one of the last independent aviation companies.
All the best
tim
48thscale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
Very nice build!

Every time I see this plane I wonder whom copied from whom...it seriously looks a lot like a Fokker D.23

H
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Bjorn,
Welcome back to the hobby, and to Aeroscale, our modeling home away from home.

Your Saab J-21A certainly is quite a unique build, as I don't recall the last time if ever, I saw one here. Your finished display replica certain built and finished to very high standards.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi Björn

It's great to see you back! I hope all's well.

Lovely build! This is a kit that's been "on the tip of my wallet" for a while.

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:44 AM UTC
A lovely build indeed. That was quite a climb into the cockpit, wasn't it?
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:58 AM UTC
Nice one Björn – I especially like it's from Gothenburg

/Mikael
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC
Ever since I've seen one original of these twin boom pushers in Linköbing I wanted to have one as a quarterscale model. Sometimes wishes come true. I'll have to asked my LHS if he can order it for me. Is Pilot Replicas a swedish company?
Your J 21 looks fantastic, Björn! Especially I appreciate that your weathering is not overdone ....

Torsten
 _GOTOTOP