Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-5 - 1/48 Eduard
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Here are just some pix of that project. Sometiems it is motivating to post my progress here, so I can really get something finished. This is oob without any fancy stuff.

Started as usual with the wing to avoid the cockpit as long as possible. Buildup is straight forward but again my landing flaps have pretty deep sink holes in it. Sanding is suffice but you'll loose all rivet detail, Thats why I change sides and build them in upside down .. I was not careful enough this time so it shows pretty well, not sure if I can live with that.

Next was the fuselage. I had to fill some panels for the pressurized G-5:

Same on the inside where the air vents had to go.

Then I built in the pit, no surprizes here and I am getting used to this kit (this is the 3rd of the line)

General construction was then pretty fast so I have the next picture of the painted model RLM 76 over all, I masked the black parts with the new flexible masking tape from Tamiya, which worked out nicely at the curves of the fuselage

Finally some Klear and ready for decals.

As I wrote it is a sideproject running for about two months now (start 09.06.2016).

all the best

Steffen

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC
Yay! Keep these 109's coming. You can never have too many! Nice pit details, too.

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thank you Gaz!

Well, it is getting kind of boring (even though I have just bought the latest kit edition Bf 109G-6 early) so when this is done I need to do something else...

Here is the actual state. I have just added the Swastikas and underwing crosses. Bought this one from a German shop thus I had to use the 2-part Swastikas .. but it is doable.

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC
Steffen,
Who is the pilot of this machine? Looking good!

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC
Cheers Gary,

this is the machine of Walter Dahl as Gruppenkommandeur of III./JG 3. I am not a big fan of the pilot but this is a typical high altitude camo and he was a KC holder so it is my preferred marking from the box.

all the best

Steffen
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... I am not a big fan of the pilot ....

I do understand that ....
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
Steffen,

You are a bonafide bf.109 lunny !!
And I am puzzled by the speed of your builds coupled with the number of workbench projects you engage, and still you manage to deliver fantastic builds everytime, damm

Cheers
Pedro
kahunaminor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 151 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
Nicely done Steffen,

They are a nice kit to build from all appearances. Certainly proven here.

Regards,
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:53 AM UTC
Steffen,
I don't have any problem with Herr Dahl. I recently learned that the USAAF broadcast over the radio that they were hunting him.

Worthy tribute!

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thank you guys! I am really happy you like it!

@pedro: I have more than my fair share of endless projects ... just go through my "topics started" and you'll find a bunch

@Gaz/Torsten: well it is not so much his wartime efforts (though he also was not a kind guy or personality then) but rather his postwar activities where he seems to have not heard the bang. His badly written book might add to my reservations. Still from a military point of view he was successful and I respect that.

no progress today as I had a loooong working day.

all the best

Steffen
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.....but rather his postwar activities where he seems to have not heard the bang ....

I see we have the same opinion about this point, Steffen.
Btw, your G-5 comes along really nice. Years ago I've done the old Revell G-10 as one of my first airbrush models in that high altitude camo. Looks special though I would not show that model on an expo today ....
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
So today I got two hours off early from work and I might actually have a chance to finish this thing today. I spent that time on finishing the stencils and markings.

Then it got a coat of Klear and now it rests in the spray booth. It is very warm today so I think the Klear will be thoroughly dry in a good hour or so... It is hard not to rush things too much. We will see.

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 06:32 PM UTC
.. hi Steffen

looking very nice so far. I want to do one of these Hellblau-grau birds sometime soon.. strange how this scheme only 'appeared' recently - I wonder how long it actually lasted on the aircraft?

IMHO one of the problems with Dahl of course is all his 'invented' victories - he received the Eichenlaub in March 1945 for 92 vics (or similar IIRC..) and yet ended the war barely two months later with the always-quoted figure of 128 !! Even though he wasn't in a combat unit any longer by that stage..Jean-Yves Lorant told me that it was Dahl's wife who actually wrote/compiled his memoir (Dahl was too busy with right-wing politics to write it himself) and that the figure of 128 is purely made-up..
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 07:06 PM UTC
Cheers Neil,

I have see your blogpost and I want to use it for my build report on IPMS Deutschland Site .. (I would have contacted you soon to ask for your permission). IIRC it was a 100 number and 20+ being "made up".

As for the paint scheme: it looks factory fresh on the pictures.... as written above, I find this clean light bluegrey scheme of the "Holzauge Gruppe" very appealing... not so much the person.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 07:31 PM UTC
Well, I have applied the wash to my model. This time I used Ammo of Mig Panel Line Wash Storm Grey as my usual water colours would be too dark for a new light blue aircraft .. still I like to have some contrast on the panel lines (even if it is not correct to scale)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:36 PM UTC
here is the wing with the wash wiped off

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Well, I will not complete it but it is good enough to get to the show. I keep the canopy close so there will be no head armour or Revi. Also some small parts will be missing, no exhaust stains...

I am adding the antenna and the position lights will be demasked and painted.

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:49 AM UTC
Steffen
Looks beautiful!

Gaz
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC
very nice Steffen...great surface detail on these kits..re Dahl , no there was no evidence for even 100 victories, but I don't know whether you can say that on a (German) web site; obviously Dahl is deceased but his son is/was a lawyer..
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
Most of those pilots from every country had unconfirmed kills, cross claims, and others that simply survived. I don't understand the point in villifying Dahl.

When the USAAF started to bomb northern France, they didn't expect as much resistance as they met.

Why?

Because RAF kill claims were seven times higher than documented Luftwaffe losses.

USAAF bomber-gunner claims were awarded for morale reasons. Compared to actual Luftwaffe losses, the numbers claimed seem farcical.

Instead of dragging some guy's name through the dirt, why don't we just accept that in the heat of battle, miles above the earth, and 70-years later, neither us nor they had a complete picture of what was going on?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:42 AM UTC
my post was dropped twice so i just post the link

http://falkeeins.blogspot.de/2014/06/walter-dahl-defence-of-reich-jg-300-his.html

I fully agree with you on normal overclaiming!

cheers. Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 12:57 PM UTC
I am on the way to the monthly meeting of one of my modelling clubs and doing some final preparations on this kit.

I already had it with my last week to the annual IPMS Deutschland show .. it was quite a nice display with three new and an old Eduard Bf 109G-6

As you can see there are a few things missing inside the canopy and as I want to show the canopy open I do some final things before I leave to Bremen.

Adding braces and Revi, the head armour, FuG 25 antenna and the balance weights for the ailerons

all the best

Steffen
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:59 PM UTC
Steffen,
A nice table full of Gustav's! I have three 109's under the glass panel of our coffee table. Love the Gustav coasters! I've never thought to add canopy braces. Thanks for the tip.

Gaz
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC
Cheers Gaz,

Eduard provides PE for the braces but I always loose these tiny parts thus I used streched sprue. IIRC these were round with flat ends anyway.

all the best

Steffen
P.S. Nearly there .. just have to do the drop tank .. but I will leave that for tomorrow as I got to go soon:

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC
Steffen,
Nice Quartet of G's. That is a rather interesting way to display them.

Even at a club display or IPMS event, I see that you still have to cover any Swastikas.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP