_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Soviet Phoenix Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Welcome to the Soviet Phoenix Campaign!

The campaign will run from November 1, 2016 through May 14, 2017.

If you haven't signed up yet, or want to see the rules, go here.

Please post your initial and in-progress photos as well as campaign discussion in this thread. Please post your finished build photos in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to seeing lots of stars; red ones that is!

Michael
Kanguroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi all,

A first bird flies into this campaign.

I don't remember when and where it was bought. The box-art is kept fortunately.
Regards,
K.
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:06 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I'll be tackling Eduard's 1/48 I-16 Type 24.

It say's "Weekend Edition" but I can guarantee it will take more than a weekend for me to finish an airplane.

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:33 AM UTC
I'm going to have a crack at Tamiya's Il-2. Looks like a great kit, I might even finish it on time!
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
Count me in for this one my build will be eduards 1/72 la-7 profipack! Great timing ot just arrived in the post !
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Here's my timestamp and blurry kit photo
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
My entry for this campaign will be the eduard 1/48 yak-3. Ive been wanting an excuse to build this one for a while and with the larger photoetch set in addition to what the profipack already contains I shouldnt need anything further for the project.
Not sure which markings I will be using yet. Thanfully the schemes are generally the same for all the options. I may try using their mask system for the red star on the spinner and build the box top scheme or if that doesnt go well either of the 2 shown here in the directions interest me as well
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi all

Count me in too. I've promised Special Hobby a build of their new 1:32 Yak-3, so this campaign will add a nice extra incentive to get on with it.

All the best

Rowan
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:54 AM UTC
Got some progress here. As of two nights ago. She's all closed up now and I'm working on painting.

Kanguroo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vietnam
KitMaker: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got some progress here. As of two nights ago. She's all closed up now and I'm working on painting.

Here's the first starting.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
Nice work! Im very interested in seeing one of these get built. What gray did you use for your cockpit? Im about to paint my yak-3s office and still not decided in which gray I want to use.
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work! Im very interested in seeing one of these get built. What gray did you use for your cockpit? Im about to paint my yak-3s office and still not decided in which gray I want to use.

I'm stumped also on my I-16. I haven't had time to research the interior color. Anyone know the right gray to use?
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hi Guys found this while researching cockpit colours for my build of the ICM 1/48 I-153 Chaika, check out this link. I'm hoping this helps define which colour but it won't necessarily give us which paint. Although there is a new range of paints out of Russia called Akan and they do a whole range of interior colours for VVS and soviet aircraft.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys found this while researching cockpit colours for my build of the ICM 1/48 I-153 Chaika, check out this link. I'm hoping this helps define which colour but it won't necessarily give us which paint. Although there is a new range of paints out of Russia called Akan and they do a whole range of interior colours for VVS and soviet aircraft.

That site has a wealth of info on the VVS and I keep forgetting about it. Thanks for the link Chris!!

Michael
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
i went for a generic light grey. tamiya 22? if i recall correctly.
after a failed attempt at hard edge camo with masking fluid (see below) i used the blu tack method.

currently half way through decals.

the silver bands were masked and sprayed alclad. and i think the dark grey is too dark

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi James

Nice progress!

For me, the other crucial site to bookmark is Modelling The Aircraft Of The Soviet VVS 1917-1950.

Sadly, it's not been updated for a few years now, but there's a wealth of content that ties in with, and complements, my go-to book on the subject: Erik Pilawskii's "Soviet Airforce Fighter Colours 1941-1945" published by Classic Colours.

Erik's new site is: Red Banner Aviation - again, a must for VVS modellers.

All the best

Rowan
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 03:09 PM UTC
thankyou Rowan.
those are some very helpful links too.

little more progress here, flatcoat is down, micro scale micro flat, best acrylic matt i have used.

post shaded with smoke and nato black. there is a massive whoopsie on the underside that i will address soon

when streaks go bad!

little work on the U/C
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all
I think I'll try Tamiya's J.A. Grey for the cockpit, if I can find some RLM Grey I'll add a little of it to the mix.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC

Time to start on the Soviet Phoenix. Here's my ICM Po-2 in recce/liaison version in 1:72 scale. To be honest I might have been overenthusiastic about this one, I am quite intimidated by the number of parts, their fragility and size.
Edit: forgot to paste in the image url :/
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Shrimpman I salute your bravery! A 1/72 scale bi-plane with allllllllll that detail? You're a better man than I sir. Actually I have several ICM 1/72 scale bi-planes to build and the level of detail is really quite stunning for something this size. And I'm building ICM's 1/48 I-153 for this campaign so I'll be up to my eyeballs in rigging soon enough!
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Shrimpman I salute your bravery! A 1/72 scale bi-plane with allllllllll that detail? You're a better man than I sir. Actually I have several ICM 1/72 scale bi-planes to build and the level of detail is really quite stunning for something this size. And I'm building ICM's 1/48 I-153 for this campaign so I'll be up to my eyeballs in rigging soon enough!

Oh yeah! Polikarpovs rule! I’ve built Chaika by ICM in 1:72 earlier this year, I know exactly what you are talking about. I think I broke every single piece. I hope I will do better now.
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Got some pictures of the work in progress on my Po-2. I'm taking my time, I am super extra careful with the microscopic pieces and so far I have not broken anything. This does not look like much, but there are actually 31 separate pieces on the picture. I've never seen such tiny parts before, some elements are so thin, I can see through them. Amazing model!

nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
AeroScale: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

here is my entry for this campaign :

cheers
nico
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:26 AM UTC
Well I neglected to take some shot's of the box and sprues before diving into the kit so I've found some online at ICM's website to give you an idea of what I'm working with. If you've read the comments on Rowan's (Merlin) review here on Aeroscale by Sergey Kosachev there are some issues with the kit. I won't go into them here as they're quite involved but take a look at this link and check them out for yourselves. I'm not going to fix every problem but I'll work on some of the easier ones. I'll drill out the blast tubes for the machine guns, take a look at correcting the engine shutter and the exhausts. I've seen Sergeys resin replacement cockpit, engine cowls, exhausts sets they're just gorgeous. But would add another $80 (including shipping) NZ dollars to the kit making it around $120.00 dollars all up so I'll live with the short comings!

So here's where I'm at after a couple hours of assembly.

I've done some research and the last pic shows the recommended colours by ICM for painting the kit and the Humbrol equivalents are written in biro beside them, the almost illegible scrawl is the number 11 next to the heading "steel". So according to web resources Humbrol 106 (Ocean grey) is the colour to paint the cockpit so I'm going with that. (As that's a colour I have oodles of!)

Would a build log of this build be of value to the wider community?
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Nico and welcome to the campaign! Great kit choice I have one to build as well so I'll watch your build with interest for future reference.
 _GOTOTOP