Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revells 32 scale FW 190F-8
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
When this kit was announced for release I just had to have it . My favorite WW 2 German subject . My intention was to build it out of the box with the exception of adding seatbelts until Eduard released two brassin sets . So I had to get those as well with a lot of other items as well . So much for out of box ...until I picked up another one !

This one will be out of the box with cowls closed and will use the kit decals . Seltbelts will come from the spare box .

Terri

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 10:58 PM UTC
Terri,
Glad to see you're joining me in WW11 1/32 scale with this build. I'll be pulling up my chair and following right along.
Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 07:47 AM UTC
There's a lot of kit in that box for such a small price.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 03:51 PM UTC
Your finished models posted recently were great, I'm looking forward to watching your progress with this one
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:00 PM UTC
Looking forward to this, the reviews are pretty positive. Might get me one !
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
I agree with you Teri the Fw190 is just an amazing aircraft which was apparently an absolute joy to fly. It was one of those airframes that just got everything right. The inline versions fixed the altitude shortcomings and still retained the graceful deadly lines of the original airframe. I have more Fw190 kits in my stash than any other aircraft.

The Revell kit has reached the top of my "Oh GOD I WANT it "list just edging out the 1/48 scale Walrus from Airfix. (Just!) I look forward to seeing you build it as I'm curious to see how the kits engineering fits together.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks guys , I finally made a start on this , will have some progress pic's up soon .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
Terri,
Looking forward to following your 1st build of 2017.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:06 AM UTC
Didn't start as I planned . Ended up getting a cold over the holiday season and really didn't feel like sitting in front of the bench . However, I did make on start on her today .

Cockpit parts are cleaned up and ready for paint and I also assembled the wheel wells and engine mount . Various other parts are also ready for paint for the fuselage structure .

So far the fit of this kit is excellent . Test fitting the parts and so far everything lines up perfectly

Terri
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 06:22 AM UTC
Looking very nice so far Terri, and great to hear that the fit is so good. I will be following along on this build.

Cheers, D
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
Looks like a good start, happy modelling with this one.

Got the same and it nearly made it on the bench, so i will try to keep on your build.

Bernd
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:20 PM UTC
Did you not get the Eduard cockpit? You missed out if you didn't - but that said, the kit cockpit certainly isn't bad.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:32 PM UTC
Nice one Terri! I've been contemplating getting a 1/32 Fw 190 or Bf 109. Looking forward to your build.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys for tagging along . I was able to spray some paint last night , now just waiting for it to dry well before I start with weathering and detail painting .

Matt , I didn't miss out at all . I have both brassin sets for the kit along with a whole bunch of other details for the other one sitting in the stash . It is excellent valve for ones dollar which makes me look forward on Revells P-51D Mustang coming out in Oct of this year and it's a new tool !

Mark , get the kit !

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC
Got paint ? I did and was able to get some laid along with the first round of weathering on the cockpit .

I didn't care for the decals supplied for the instrument panels and the control side panels . They do not line up with the molded on details . The instrument panel decals I used , not much of this will be seen any way . For the side consoles details I painted by hand . Next step is the seatbelts and more weathering before it gets sealed up with a lacquer top coat .

Terri
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 02:10 AM UTC
Looks really good Terri lovin' it so far! The side console detail seems a little sparse for the scale, have Revell simplified the detail somewhat?
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi Terri - I'll be watching this as well but I'm out of popcorn and Pepsi - guess I'll just have to drink beer!

Happy Modeling - Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:54 AM UTC
Terri,
Nice start to the pit. The IP looks good enough especially if it won't be that easy to be seen.

Glad you're over you New Year's cold, and can get back to the bench.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 01:18 PM UTC
Good progress Terri, your paint job came out very nice !
And thanks for the info about the decals.
Your firewall with the engine bearer looks great too.

And yes the IP will be nearly invisible when the fuselage is closed, even with an open posed canopy.
The most visible part is the seat.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 09:48 PM UTC
Nice work Terri ! Your cockpit looks suitably weathered and used and the instrument panel is really nice, it's a shame it won't be very visible. Looking forward to more. James.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 05:35 AM UTC
Thanks for dropping by guys and having a peaking at my progress .

Chris ' Ja ; detail in the pit could have been a little better so the level matches other areas of the kit such as the engine for example . However , a few bits of plastic here and there will bring up to par with the rest of the kit .

Richard , you will have to get your own popcorn and Pepsi . Not sure about the beer though . You might have to bring me one as well

Joel , Ja its nice to over the cold and feeling back up to par .

Bernd , sad news , I came arcoss more fit issues , but more on this later .

James , still a little more weathering on the pit . Started on the seats and should have this wrapped up soon . So more pic's of the finished pit is coming soon .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 06:01 AM UTC
Finished off the seatbelts and got the tube closed up inside the fuselage which is now all button up .
The tail feathers are a very tight fit and the mounting tabs need sanding down and the locating holes needed a bit of opening up to get a good fit . Rudder is a lose fit but this was fix with shim on either side of their mounting tabs . The wings fitted alright and this is where I ran into fit issues . On the trailing edge of the wing buy the fuselage their is gaps on both sides right beside the re-enforcing plates . This will need filling . So far no filler has been used other then a quick sanding of the glus joins .

The cowl armour plate ring doesn't fit very well at all with a over step . It took a bit of sanding to get this to look right . Even though that this part on the actual aircraft didn't fit well either . In the photo on the right side is the cowl which has been sanded and on the left is from the other kit in the stash .

Engine is done and is ready to be installed in the airframe and can start with the rest of the cowling covers . I did go gun how on the engine for it will all be covered up . But for those who want the cowl open the engine is nicely detail and will come to life even more with some wiring and plumbing .

Since these pic's I have the rest of the cowls glued in place and is now set aside to cure . Prop is also done and its paint is drying ...

More soon

Terri
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 12:50 PM UTC
Terri I believe that the overstep is correct. But take a look at the pic below as the overstep may have been exaggerated a little. Damn fine work Terri you're doing an outstanding job on the kit lovin' it so far. I'm particularly passionate about these particular aircraft there's just an air about them.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 09:47 PM UTC
Terri,
I can't believe how much progress you've made to date. Simply amazing, as normal slow is my fast pace these days. Nice work on the pit. Love those Fabric seatbelts. I've yet to try them. They do look like a lot of work, but the end result is well worth the effort.

As for the step on the cowl armor cover, I took a good look at Chris's picture, and from what these old eyes can ascertain, the ring O.D. is correct, but there is a gap that QC should have caught at the plant. Now looking at your cowling, I'm in the camp that says to sand it as you did, since in scale it has a much better look to it. Just make sure that there is a clear separation of parts as in the real thing.

Joel
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 10:43 PM UTC
Very nice work on the Wurger! Engine is beautifully done.
As for the cowling:
It's not only any armour-protection for the engine. The "Panzerring" or "Nasenspaltring" ("armoured ring" or "nose-gap-cowlring")is a part of the special oil cooling system to control the temperature.
The ring was able to move some centimeters up/down/around and foreward to leave out the hot air in the cowling. So in fact it was not larger but by moving around it can happen that it shows outside the cowling on one side or a gap.
Thomas
 _GOTOTOP