World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Trumpeter F4F-3 Grumman Wildcat Build
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ha - It seems fuselage correction disease is spreading - God save us all !
Attaboy ! - Richard

Richard,
It's all your fault. I caught the disease from you.
Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 04:30 PM UTC
Joel,
Interesting info on the wheel well. I'm not super-familiar with the bird, but it'ts neat to see the fix applied.

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Interesting info on the wheel well. I'm not super-familiar with the bird, but it'ts neat to see the fix applied.

Gaz

Gary,
Thanks my friend for stopping by and checking out the Wheel well issue and my fix. Honestly the fix isn't very hard, but I still can't see how Trumpeter could screw it up that bad.

I'm already working on another area that needs a major fix or two.

Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:32 AM UTC
Joel, it seems the kit error is 'well' within your capabilities to fix. Hopefully there aren't any other surprises in store?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, it seems the kit error is 'well' within your capabilities to fix. Hopefully there aren't any other surprises in store?

Paul,
so far so good, but every sub assembly and associated area seems to have major issues. I'm working on the fuselage inside walls from the engine/wheel well to the back of the cockpit, and there are a few issues, one is really major. it's my next update.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 07:04 AM UTC
Progress is coming along nicely Joel , nice job on the reshaping of the well .

Terri
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:01 PM UTC
Yes, Terri is completely right: you did a great work on the wheel comparment.
i will be scared if i had to operate such an extended surgery, but you obtained a great result and mede it seem easy!
wery well done indeed!
ciao
edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Progress is coming along nicely Joel , nice job on the reshaping of the well .

Terri

Terri,
Glad you like my little WW correction. I'm working on another major correction just so the fuselage halves are basically correct for the front 3 compartments: Engine, Wheel Well, and Cockpit.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC
Update #3

Looking at both fuselage halves, it became quite apparent that there is considerable work needed to prepare the inner surfaces of both halves prior to continuing working on the 2 compartments: Engine/Wheel Well, and the cockpit. Looking at the outside of each fuselage half, the wing mounting surfaces are raised above the fuselage surface so that there is a more positive gluing surface.

But that creates a huge issue on the inside surfaces:

The front portion is clearly visable in wheel wells, and the center section is also visible looking down into the cockpit. The only viable solution is to fill in those massive areas. To accomplish that, I 1st cut out and glued in a "spar" made from .020 sheet just to shallow the depression.

Then a layer of Milliput. I sanded the putty level making sure that I maintained the concave surface. Unfortunately my Milliput is rather old, and no matter how many pieces of dried skin I removed, some remained which is those dark spots. I filled any remaining depressions with Bondo, which is the red oxide colored material, and sanded it smooth. Hopefully the wheel well areas once primed won't need any more putty work.

The next area is between the cockpit and wheel well bulkheads which can't be seen, so I really didn't need to fill in the depression. So on one side I left it as is. And the area past the cockpit also can't be seen even though I filled and blended in that area as well.

Next I decided to skin the cockpit walls and added ribbing in a similar mannor to the Eduard interior PE set that is out of production and next to impossible to find.

Dry fitting over and over again, it should more then fools the viewer's eye especially once painted and weathered.

I still have work to do to get the cockpit aligned properly so that the fuselage halves will close correctly without having to force the issue.

Joel

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:18 AM UTC
Joel
Nice fix on the cockpit walls - excellent progress !
Wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday Season -

Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel
Nice fix on the cockpit walls - excellent progress !
Wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday Season -

Richard

Richard,
Thanks so much for your most kind words.
Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:26 PM UTC
Good fix on that wing root depression! Filling in with plasticard and then using Milliput is a good tactic since Milliput doesn't shrink or attack the plastic (a treat it has common with all 2-component putties by the way!).

Magnus
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC
Nice fix Joel, the cockpit wall looks much better.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good fix on that wing root depression! Filling in with plasticard and then using Milliput is a good tactic since Milliput doesn't shrink or attack the plastic (a treat it has common with all 2-component putties by the way!).

Magnus

Magnus,
Thanks for stopping by. It's much appreciated.

The wing root fix took days to get it this far. I still need to final sand and maybe a touch of putty here or there to help blend in all the ribbing for the cockpit walls a little better, but not look like one piece.

This kit certainly has it's challenges, and I'm sure I'll run into a lot more.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice fix Joel, the cockpit wall looks much better.

Paul,
Thanks for checking out the start to the cockpit wall fix. Hopefully with the addition of the side consuls, along with the few boxes and pouches that attach directly onto the walls, it will end up looking a lot closer to the real deal.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:59 AM UTC
Joel,
Merry Christmas!

Nice work on those interior embellishments. With that lower window, those improvements are very worth doing.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
Gary,
And a merry X-mass to you and yours.

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my F4F-3 improvements to the fuselage. Even in 1/32 scale older kits show one just how far the hobby has come in the last several years.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
Wow, Joel, this is hardly an OOB proposition, is it? Another reason for me to stick with 1/48.

BTW, after the 17 fuselage is closed, next week, I have the shortest of breaks planned for a "palate cleanser": Upgrading this truly fabulous Hobby Master diecast VF-2 F2A-2

with the correct "-F-" fuselage decals and decals for the prop. I'll also add antenna wires.

I would normally never go for a diecast kit, but this one is a real gem. Hard to tell it from the Tamiya kit at first, and even second, glance.

The old display case was complaining about extended neglect, and this seemed like the best solution. It will also give me some motivation to roll my own squadron mate one day.

I will have a final "build" post up re the nose before "the close" this weekend, and a "gallery" of the interior before the close.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, Joel, this is hardly an OOB proposition, is it? Another reason for me to stick with 1/48.

BTW, after the 17 fuselage is closed, next week, I have the shortest of breaks planned for a "palate cleanser": Upgrading this truly fabulous Hobby Master diecast VF-2 F2A-2

with the correct "-F-" fuselage decals and decals for the prop. I'll also add antenna wires.

I would normally never go for a diecast kit, but this one is a real gem. Hard to tell it from the Tamiya kit at first, and even second, glance.

The old display case was complaining about extended neglect, and this seemed like the best solution. It will also give me some motivation to roll my own squadron mate one day.

I will have a final "build" post up re the nose before "the close" this weekend, and a "gallery" of the interior before the close.

Brian,
Happy Holidays my friend. You're not kidding that this was going to be basically a OOB, relaxing build to get me into 1/32 single engine props. None of the reviews I read mentioned anything about what I found. There are a few build blogs I'm using for reference and guidance that has addressed these issues. I just did my own take on how to go about the corrections as needed. I just keep on telling myself that this is an older Team B Trumpeter kit, so better kits await me. Of course it's still light years ahead of the few Kitty Hawk kits I've attempted and never got close to the finish line.

What a great holiday present for any Aeroscale modeler, advance notice that the B-17F fuselage is closed up with a pre-post and then the post of the closing itself. I can't wait. You must have been beaming like a new proud papa for sure, and I don't blame you one bit.

That F2A-2 took me completely by surprise. But it's most likely a great and well deserved break. should be stunning when done. Naturally, it will be done in pre-war spotlessly maintained condition. Not like my 1/32 F2A-3 that's seen way better days.

Joel

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:08 AM UTC
Joel & Brian

Looks like you two will soon have new monikers - the " Barrel Bird Boys "
Hope you both are enjoying the Holidays-

Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel & Brian

Looks like you two will soon have new monikers - the " Barrel Bird Boys "
Hope you both are enjoying the Holidays-

Richard

Richard,
Now that's a keep phrase for sure.
Joel
the Barrel Bird Boys
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:27 PM UTC
Joel, you did a great job on the fusolage reconstrucion! indeed a great improvement on the kit. I am sure it will add a lot of realism to the finished mode.

by the way, I like the buffalo as well, one of my favourite aircraft as it reminds me of my erlier modelling days...

ciao
edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, you did a great job on the fusolage reconstrucion! indeed a great improvement on the kit. I am sure it will add a lot of realism to the finished mode.

by the way, I like the buffalo as well, one of my favourite aircraft as it reminds me of my erlier modelling days...

ciao
edo

Edo,
Thanks for stopping by and liking the improvements to the interior side walls. More is planned for the cockpit. The kit certainly has it's challenges but so far they're all fixable and improvable.

The Buffalo was my 1st 1/32 aircraft as well as my 1st limited run kit, and for some strange unknown reason it's also a favorite of mine even though it was nearly a complete failure as a fighter for the USN.

Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Great job on the fuselage sidewalls! Kits sometimes include a blanking piece to try to disguise a hollow wing root (usually not, though), but they are something of a compromise and often don't fit well. Your approach of skinning over the whole area smoothly is far superior and worth the extra effort.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Great job on the fuselage sidewalls! Kits sometimes include a blanking piece to try to disguise a hollow wing root (usually not, though), but they are something of a compromise and often don't fit well. Your approach of skinning over the whole area smoothly is far superior and worth the extra effort.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thought you were away for a few days. But I'm always grateful when you stop by and have a look. Glad you like my approach to those nasty wing hollow areas. I've seen it done a few times on other builds, and it's certainly worth the effort.
Joel