Really nice job!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:09 AM UTC
Russell, Tim and Paul! Thanks!

Michal! It costs around the equivalent of 20 after market sheets or so meaning that break-even cost-wise is within a few years. Problem is that I still buy decals !

Registration and a very quick session in the CAD making masks for the yellow leading edges...

...the rest of the markings will be decals! Fit over the entry door is a bit iffy but that matters less since it will be built with the door open!

Magnus
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 12:18 PM UTC

..very neat work Magnus - trying hard to resist this kit, seeing this is not helping!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 01:08 AM UTC
Neil! I'm sorry to tell you this: they are addictive :-) ! I've already soft-started a Mk VIII in the background...

I've been busy for a few nights with the decals, even if I did most of the major parts with masks there is plenty of stencilling to keep you busy!

One major worry with a kit like this is decal performance. All this tiny surface detailing spells trouble all over the place. Check this photo: I've only used Micro-Set on this one, no Sol. When attached to the surface it looks like your average nightmare Academy-from-the-late-90s-decal: thick, glossy and stiff as a glass pane. Leave it in place for ten minutes and it will have sunk itself into the tiniest little surface detail. Magic!

Magnus
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:11 PM UTC
Outstanding work Magnus! Gorgeous wee kits although I find myself preferring 1/48 scale Eduard kits.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 - 12:50 AM UTC
After a bit of a standstill during the summer, I'm back at the bench once again!

Managed to do a bit of weathering using oils and an enamel wash, detail painting and final assembly still to do!

Magnus
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
AeroScale: 295 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 - 03:45 PM UTC
Superbly done so far, Magnus! I feel sliding myself toward "gentlemen's scale" - after I bought a bunch of 1/48s that is. I cannot wait for the final reveal.

Cheers!
Gabriel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:32 PM UTC
Exceptional work Magnus!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:27 PM UTC
Sorry for going under the radar once again but I'll hopefully be able to be a bit more active from now on!

Gabriel! Thanks! Both the 48- and 72-Spits are great kits!

Russell! Finally done! I took some finish photos already a few weeks ago but when I looked at them I noticed a bunch of things that needed addressing and then I didn't get around taking new photos until tonight.

I almost never do this but this time I've actually finished the lower surfaces more or less the same way as the more visual parts of the model !

So, simply a great kit, a fun build and one further empty hole in my Spitfire collection filled!

This one has now moved on to the collection!

Magnus
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:50 AM UTC
Very nice Magnus, one of my favorite subjects.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 01:25 AM UTC
Absolutely fantastic! This one is really a gem! How did You do the yellow rivets of the canopy?!?

Thank´s for sharing!

Oliver
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:21 AM UTC
Another fine addition to The Collection Magnus!

Definitely one to be proud of!

Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to seeing what you do next
JSSVIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:19 AM UTC
Beautiful build Magnus, it's nice to see someone besides myself who is willing to ruin the beautiful lines of an aircraft like that by mounting BOMBS on it LOL! I wish eduard would release those particular bombs in their Brassin line! 60lb rockets too!
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:46 AM UTC
A really striking scheme on a beautifully made model... Congrats Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:44 AM UTC
Spud, Russell and Paul! Thanks a lot for your kind comments!

Oliver! Regarding the yellow markings on the canopy, I am almost sure they are "cut-here-for-rescue-markings". They were supplied as decals so it was a fairly simple process!

John! I've got quite a few Spitfires so one with bombs really generates a bit of visual interest! Regarding resin bombs: that makes us two searching for these. The plastic ones in the kit weren't that good, I replaced the tails with rolled PE and that was an improvement but a nice set of Eduard resin bombs would really liven up the ground attack missions ! I think Aires did (fiddly) resin rockets, I've got a pack of them somewhere...

Magnus
JSSVIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
Magnus, I have the Aires rockets also, but they did not impress me much, the warheads were an odd shape in my opinion. I have the Brassin FFAR rockets in 1/72 and they are beautiful! I don't know why they chose those instead of the British 60lb rockets, or even HVARs, as both of those types seem to be more widely used (hell, even the Fairey Swordfish carried the 60lb rockets!). Those early 250lb bombs were also used on just about everything the British had, including biplanes. I would think those three items would be very popular, considering the huge number of aircraft they could be used with.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:09 PM UTC
John! I'm sure Eduard will get to these eventually, it's a bit odd thought that the 250 lbs aren't there for this kit, especially considering the amount of other resin goodies they've done for it!

Magnus
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 02:33 PM UTC
Magnus, I have been following this thread silently over the past few month and it was worth waiting for the result. Another little gem for your collection. Well done! And the spinner spiral gives it a bit of "german touch" .... Any original photos of that?

Now I need to get a Bubbletop Spit ....

Torsten
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 01:53 AM UTC
Torsten! Thanks! That spiral seems to be particular to number 443 squadron, in "Spitfire, the Canadians" by Robert Bracken there are photos of Spitfires of several marks from this squadron that all have the spiral.

And sorry for my late answer!

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP