Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Bent Wing Birds Campaign
steviecee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 02:16 PM UTC
Northrop Delta Mexico Airlines 1934

Although there are not a lot of parts to this kit, the build was a little fussy because there are no locating pins to align the parts. I'm pleased how it came out
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 05:38 PM UTC
One step forward, 2 steps back.

Got it glossed over Future, then tried to add decals. First the decal exploded in water, now I gotta find decals for a 40 year old kit. Then it turns out that wasn't Micro Set I slathered all over the fuselage, it was liquid decal mask. Wiping it off pulled off the Future and some of the paint. Back to the paint shop.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 08:12 PM UTC
Tough luck on that one, Mark. I hope everything works out after another trip to the paint shop.

I have some royal navy decals that should work. I can send you those if you want. It would not work with that camouflage though....
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks Jesper, but I've got it mostly worked out. The kit decals were simple, Stars n Bars, Marines, Flight numbers and a totally fictitious tailcode. Since I'm doing a VMF(N) 513 night fighter from Korea, I'd already sourced new tail codes, I've got Stars n Bars, so all I needed to order was Marines. Since it's a night fighter, I'm going to leave off the flight numbers. Finally, I spray some Tamiya Smoke over them to tone them way down.
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi All,

Steve, nice finish! I really like how that turned out, unique and well done. Mark, hang in there! it will get better I'm sure.

There's an old saying "You get what you pay for". I still think that I made a great buy on a $5 USD Eduard F6F-3! Though, it turns out aside from no decals, there was a missing side window (not a problem, as I have the -5 and the -3 windows are on the sprue). The biggie was no tail wheel, so I stole one off the Hasegawa Rufe, as it's not needed. Problem solved! Except some how some way I knocked it off. The grid search has found nothing to date, I'm sure it will show now that I took the wheel for the Rufe dolly!

I was able to make a poor substitute, and given my audience, I'm sure that they will never know! So I was able to paint the bottom in insignia white (Tamiya X-2 + a drop of tan, around 10:1 ,diluted 1:4 with lacquer thinner).

I'll be giving a little wash to depict carrier use, and in the meantime I'm goofing off with the topside coloring...

So far, I do like this kit, with the exception of the way they did the gun barrels. I've snapped off both longest on each wing. These are getting replaced with 21 G needle tubing.

I should be wrapping this one up soon! Be safe, wash your hands, and keep having fun!!
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC
Neil and Jesper: Thank´s a lot!

Stephen: Great built Stuka with a very nice marking option. Congrats!

Steve: This is a stunning looking Delta. It really looks great!

Mark: Good luck with Your Corsair. I hope all get´s well.

John: Nice paint job on Your Hellcat.

Meanwhile, I finished my Gannet. It is a nice kit, but there are some traps, especially concerning the landing gear and landing gear doors. I have probably overdone the dirt effects, as the planes were always in good condition on my reference pictures. But, it give a more vivid look.

Keep on modelling!

Oliver
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
Lovely job on the Gannet Oliver.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC
Beautiful build, Oliver! The weathering looks great to me!
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 01:21 AM UTC
Here is my entry, Hasegawa 1/48 Aichi B7A2 attack bomber "Ryusei Kai" (Grace).

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC
Nice choice, Lap man. Noticing the decals - I am curious - what are the black circles for? Black circle insignia?
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2020 - 10:36 PM UTC
Getting some paint on it:

stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 11:16 AM UTC
finally took some finished pics, and uploaded to the gallery.
Fun build, the only part that was a bit of a hassle was the wing joins, Ill be more prepared for my next tamiya corsair.

brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 02:54 PM UTC
Had a little paint pull in some spots, but I'll get those touched-up. Landing gear, the small bits, and decals remain.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 02:47 AM UTC
Done! AHM - Fujimi 1/72 F4U-5N Corsair.

It looks like a Corsair, even sounds like one as I fly it around the model bench.

Seems to have all the bits a night fighter needs, radar, missiles and cannons.

To borrow a phrase,the decals were rubbish. At 40-50 years that should be expected, but these had issues, the tail code wasn't for any Marine unit, at best it was for a Skyraider squadron, that wasn't in Korea. Had to by the WF on line, pulled the national insignia off of a Microscale Sheet and it took 2 application of liquid decal film to save the "Marines" decal.

I tried to slather a bunch of Tamiya Smoke over the decals to tone them down like the early night fighters did.
All in All it's a Bent Wing Bird.

Now I gotta go find a gallery!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 08:08 AM UTC
Eric and Mark, beautiful Corsairs! Eric, your weathering is especially magnificent! Congrats on finishing.

Shell, nice progress on the Stuka. The splinter camo looks sharp! 🙂
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric and Mark, beautiful Corsairs! Eric, your weathering is especially magnificent! Congrats on finishing.

Shell, nice progress on the Stuka. The splinter camo looks sharp! 🙂

Thanks, but it's not as sharp as you think. I am having an issue with paint pulling up in spots and I keep having to do touch-ups. The paint I'm using might have gone bad but it was all the RLM 71 I had on hand.
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 07:32 PM UTC
@ Jesper, they are black outline for the red insignia.
Here is update pis of my entry.

EHAM0624
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 200 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 - 07:45 AM UTC
Great looking dirty Corsairs, my entry also a F4U-5 Corsair this is the Revell 1/72 and it builds into a nice little aeroplane

My local hobby shop had a garage sale in the form of Corona boxes (a box full with all sorts of models an some magazine's to get true the the time spent home,.. well i got a box with no less than 3 Corsairs and some other of the bent wing sort) anyway my choice the Revell for this and the Hasa for the Radial Campaign

I did use some putty just the get some uneven and some sink hols out of the way

Before paint some layer of primer from the spray can

Tamiya Paint mix end than the decals

The finished product after some washes, oil paint and a little bit of charcoal. As said great build

Next to his big brother that was a hanger queen but also finished in the same time
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 - 08:25 AM UTC
I don't think I'm going to finish in time; my daughter's high school graduation is this weekend and even if that wasn't happening the paint issues I had plus all the rain that just passed through cost me valuable build time. I am still going to give it my best in the few spare minutes I am getting, but I don't even have decals or the main landing gear on yet and I still have to fix the paint.

So close; just like my game of PUBG last night where I died at 5th place to the blue zone just as I was crossing the line into the safe zone.
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi All,

Nice builds here!

I've pretty much finished this one. Still have to dull the prop, and going over some of the things to see what I missed.

Here she is post decaling, pre-weathering.

Next up is to play with some lights and a poster board background, along with some parting comments!

Be safe, have fun!
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 - 04:37 PM UTC
This is where I am. I have to do some touch-ups in several places around the rear fuselage and tail/rudder, plus clean-up the landing gear-wing join. Attach antenna and rig aerial. Decals...

So, between my kid's party tomorrow all day, work on Monday and a graduation ceremony later that evening I should have this in the bag.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2020 - 08:10 PM UTC
Looking very nice, Shell. I am sure it Will look Great when finished.
eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 03:09 AM UTC
Aichi B7A2 Attack Bomber "Ryusei Kai" finished.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 07:12 PM UTC
Very nice clean build, Lap man.
john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi All,

Lap Man, nice finish as usual!

I finished my Eduard 1/48 F6F-3! For a kit that I picked up at a model show for 5 USD it wasn't a bad build. I did pick up a set of decals, Super Scale MS481238 F6F-3 Hellcats VF-2, VF-16, VF-6 and VF-51. I opted to go with Lt (jg) Alexander Vraciu's "Gadget", in Feburary 1944, with VF-6, aboard the USS Intrepid.

The decals performed flawlessly, with a nice set of stencils done in both black and white.

I really enjoyed the Eduard kit, though I have a couple of issues with it. The way they've engineered gun placement is poor, one would think that would take a lesson from Tamiya on this. I managed to break off the inner (longest) guns. I wound up replacing them with 21G stainless from syringe needles. I also erred and drilled out the wrong side (shortest one), and had to replace that one as well. While the wingtip nav lights are great, I think the best way to attach these is with superglue and sand down and polish out. The prop is a poor representation, but does clean up and looks ok. I do like the extra sliding portion of glass that allows for an open cockpit! A nice touch.

All the other issues I had with the kit were self induced. While not many, I now know how I'll go about building the other two in my stash (-3 and -5).

I thought I went way overboard on the weathering, especially the underside. Looking at reference photo's it appears that I didn't go far enough! Oh well, I think it turned out ok, plus I got to try my hand working more with oil weathering, a skill that I need to work on.

Overall a good kit, I recommend it to any level of modeler, though the Weekender addition may prove more attractive (lower priced) as the PE didn't add all that much, in my opinion.

Great campaign, I enjoyed it! You all stay safe out there, and keep on having fun!

John