Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Biplanes of WWII Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
Oh dear!

Happy Father's Day (a week early) to me!

Michael

(since our galleries are down, this is my first attempt using Imgur. Let's see how it works.)
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 08:23 AM UTC
I consider my Gladiator officially finished now!

More photos and the last parts of the build can be found here!

Magnus
Lillen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 09:52 PM UTC
Sorry guys, but I'll have to bail out. I'm not cut out for the fiddlier projects any more.

I did get the cockpit assembled enough to fit the fuselage.

And the engine almost ready.

But when it came to the fuselage, the roden kit just lacked the supports, no pins and holes, very thin joining surfaces, and too fiddly parts for me to go on. Next step will be the trash can, and to continue with a Tamyia Bf 109 in 1:32. I hope that can suit mu lack of precision better.
To everybody involved, keep working the odd models, and to Magnus especially; Love that paint job. Really nice shades!
Lillen
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 03:19 AM UTC
Sorry to see you go, Tony, but I know how it goes. Sometimes a project just doesn't come together. On the other hand, I assume you mean your Tamiya 109 is in 1/48 or 1/72. You're going to start a stampede if people think they have one in 1/32!

Very nice work, Magnus! I hope my 1/32 kit looks half as good when finished. I always thought those "shadow" schemes look like patchwork, but that's what they did.

Here are start pictures of my 1/32 ICM Gladiator Mk.II:

I had the airbrush loaded with white and yellow for a couple of P-51s I'm working on, so I took the opportunity to get a couple of things pre-painted on the Glad:

May have to repaint the left vertical stabilizer, somehow it got a drop of yellow on it. Sigh.

I plan to build this one out of the box except for a seat harness and rigging material. Looking forward to really getting into it!

Michael
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC
That is a fantastic Gladiator, Magnus! Congratulations!
As for my Henschel, I am way behind schedule. I am ready to decal now, having tossed all the bad pieces, carved new ones out of the sprues and reattached the top wing. I'm afraid it is slightly misaligned, not immediately visible, but I know it's crooked. I shouldn't have trusted the engineers and measured everything more carefully. Anyway I am happy with all the scratch built struts I made. I thought I would fail miserably. More photos to follow soon. I want to finish. This model has really exhausted me.

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 08:56 AM UTC
Michael, one word.

Where are you going to put those large 1/32 BEASTS?

I end up giving some of my builds away due to space.

Bob
Lillen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 19 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 - 12:28 AM UTC
Oops Michael. I typed a little boo-boo there. I'm building a 1:32 Revell Messerschmitt, not a Tamyia. Feels good though, so I hope for the best.

Nice Henschel, Iwan. Striking camo!

Lillen
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 - 10:22 AM UTC
Lots of time for this one yet,mthink I'll have to sign up, just scored a Classic Airframes Iman Ro.37bis. Will post some pics after it arrives in the post.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 08:14 AM UTC
OK! I am done with the C.R. 42

This is the first time I took the front piece off of the a/b for the mottling and it work.

[/url[url=https://postimages.org/][url=https://postimages.org/]

SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
Excellent work!!!!!!
Congratulations

Please note that the aircraft is a CR.42
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks, Jose. I have corrected the post to reflect CR 42.

Bob
Shrimpman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 148 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 10:50 PM UTC
Congrats on CR 42, Bob, it is a stunner!
I have finished my Henschel 123. The kit was a challenge, sometimes disheartening, sometimes satisfying. Parts fit was very bad, also quite a bit of broken or missing parts. All in all I had to scratch build ten pieces, including the windshield and it actually turned out way better than I thought. I even made a tiny transparent reflective gunsight when I was at it. I like the effect. One thing that saved the model: fantastic paints. I have bought Hataka - Blue Line products, optimised for brush painting. This turned out to be true, painting went great, no brush strokes at all, smooth as if sprayed, dilutes with water at 4:1 or 5:1 and paints wonderfully. Does what it says on the label.

YankeeSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 - 11:31 PM UTC
Jose & Shripman.... WOW, what beautiful pieces of art!! Though I want to try the Hs123 I’m little concerned about the extra work...lol.

Seriously, beautiful work!! I can only hope to hold up my end.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 - 11:00 PM UTC
Such great work from everyone so far.

Krzysztof, that's a lovely Henschel even if the kit was a challenge!

Bob, the paintwork on your CR42 looks amazing!

Michael, looking forward to seeing your 1/32 scale Gladiator go together... Maybe one day Airfix will pony up with a 1/24 kit!

Magnus, inspiring work as always! So much so that...

I got out my Gladiator kit by Airfix and decided it's time to dip my toe in this campaign with a couple of starting shots, whilst I wait for the opportunity to present itself for some painting on the Schwalbe for the Me262 campaign.

don't you love it when you crack open a kit that's been closed for some time and discover these sorts of gems inside?

This kit comes with the additional sprue allowing the later MkII to be built with a 3 bladed prop and/or snow skis

Like Magnus this is the scheme I'm going with but I'll be building the plane that served with 605 squadron as shown in the instructions and using the kit's decal sheet provided

Happy modelling
Stay home, stay healthy, build models
PS. Fingers crossed I'll meet this deadline
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 11:13 AM UTC
Beautiful work so far everyone, here is my entry, Classic Airframes Iman RO 37bis:
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC
some progress on my Iman Ro.37. No locating pins on anything, and needs some finagling and putty to get everything to fit right but taking shape...

Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hello, I am the new enlist here

In the last time I build ships but after my last ship build is approaching to its end I would like to assemble an aircraft again. I did build not too much aircraft until now so be gentle with me

I chose AIRFIX new 1:48 scale Tiger Moth for my entry.

This is the basic set

But it shall not be an "ordinary" Tiger Moth but a machine from the Brasilian Navy Air Corps. These machines were in use from 1938 - 41 as a school, scout and liaison aircraft so it should fit in the set timeframe here.

Well and some small upgrades for it (Eduard etched and masking set, SBS etched rigging wire and a crew set from Djiti (these are americans but the brazilians did used US uniforms, too exept from different patches)

Ok, let the fun getting started
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 11:08 PM UTC
Great start Colin

Thomas, good to see you bringing your skills to the bi-planes campaign

I must get cracking on my gladiator!
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
@Black Sheep,

Excellent idea!!!
A Tiger Moth in brazilian markings.
I follow your buid with interest
Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell, nice to have an experienced copilot here on my side . Don´t trust too much about my skills here; never made a biplane before but I will give my best

Cheers

Thomas
Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Black Sheep,

Excellent idea!!!
A Tiger Moth in brazilian markings.
I follow your buid with interest

Hola Jose! Welcome aboard my build
Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
Started my Tiger Moth. It is the very first AIRFIX kit for me since ages and I am very pleased about the quality of the kit - detail and fitting is good. Instructions are clear and unmistakeably. Maybe the only "negative" about this kit would be that the instruction leaflet do smell very strange to me. But this is not entering the scorecard.

I finished the easy cockpit. Here almost all of the EDUARD set was used up for. The two dashboards do look very nice with the PE-upgrates:

I worried if the prepainted seatbelts will loose their paint during bending but the color did stay. I really like the look of these

I also got me these new Eduard weighted resin wheels for the Tiger Moth as these look a bit more sophisticated than AIRFIX but it is not a vital necessity

The rest of EDUARD´s etched parts are used up at the plane´s belly. The build is really fast as the plane is rather small and uncomplicated with not too much parts. I expect the main difficulties with the rigging later

Continue with the engine bonnets
Black_sheep
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 05:21 PM UTC
Already finished the main build. All parts of the original AIRFIX kit are attached (exept the premasked canopy windows which will be glued on at the very end) and the plane looks like a Tiger Moth already. Before I will start the paintjob I did two pictures of it with the preassembled crew in front of it for a better size estimation.

Now lets open the color bucket
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Russell, nice to have an experienced copilot here on my side . Don´t trust too much about my skills here; never made a biplane before but I will give my best

Cheers

Thomas

So far your skills have been well above standard, Thomas

So far your Tiger Moth looks great!

The new Airfix kits are quite nice and good value for money... Usually they provide good rigging diagrams too

A quick update on the Tiger Moth's little cousin, the Gladiator... cockpit is together and receiving prelim colour application

some detail painting and washes required then the fuselage will be ready to close up...
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
Lots of great work going on here!

Somehow the system dropped my subscription to the various threads, so I lost this one for a bit. But it's nice to see the great models taking shape!

Michael