Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Now Enlisting: Phantoms 60 Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just ordered my Revell Germany 1:32 F-4G Phantom. Things gonna be a beast.

That it will! And welcome to the side of what's right and good!

Michael
gunnerk19
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 08:07 AM UTC
It's here. I hadn't worked on a 1:32 kit in almost 15 years. Daunting is an accurate term to describe it.

Sooo, this thing's gonna be 23.50 inches long and 14.50 inches wide.

I dunno if I have room enough to display it once it's done
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 10:22 AM UTC
Don, that's going to be an awesome build! Looking forward to seeing it.

My LHS has reopened on a limited basis and I'm hoping they still have one in stock. A couple were on the shelves before lockdown.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hello. Count me in as well.
Go with 1/48 F-4B Phantom II Sundowners from Academy

Have some Aftermarket for that, so it will be fun.
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC
I just could not miss a Phantom II GB! The F-4 is my favorite aircraft so the problem will be to choose which scheme, scale and kit!
Have fun modeling!
Mike
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 12:59 AM UTC
Mask set and a pair of resin ejection seats arrived in the post yesterday for my build. I'm umming and ahhing over whether to get a set of resin burner cans as well. 20 quid seems a bit pricey....I might decide nearer the time.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 09:57 AM UTC
I'll be joining with the Revell rebox of Hasegawa's excellent FGR.2. I grabbed two of these as you never know when, or even if, Revell will rebox this one at such a good price.

Planning on building it the kit supplied 2 Sqn markings and loading it up in the armed recce role with an EMI pod and MATRA's.

Little inspiration:

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 12:38 PM UTC
Stephen, that is the scheme that I had in mind when looking for my kit.

Bob
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, that is the scheme that I had in mind when looking for my kit.

Bob

Bob, I have to admit the RAF tactical cammouflage is one of my favourite schemes on the Phantom.
I'll probably keep the paint fairly factory fresh with minimal weathering. 2 Sqn only operated Phantoms for a brief period in the mid 70's before equipping with the Jaguar. Another aircraft I really must get in 1/48.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 03:49 AM UTC
I have several F-4s in the stash, all in 1/48. I could do:

Academy F-4B VF-11
Academy F-4C Robin Olds
Academy F-4J VF-84
Hasegawa F-4E 4th TFW
Hasegawa F-4E IDF

I's sort of leaning towards the VF-84 F-4J because I did a review of the kit back in 2015 and really should build it. But an IDF one is calling to me as well. Hmm...

Michael
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 09:24 AM UTC
Ok, here we go.... Very rarely do the flying things. .... But the Phantom is my all time favourite bird....so I'm going to jump in with this campaign.
Not sure what I will do, but it will probably be only 1/72 as I don't want to get to ahead of myself...
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 10:54 AM UTC
Stephen, I have the Hasegawa F-4B/N 1/48 kit. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the nozzles to look like Spey?

Bob
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, I have the Hasegawa F-4B/N 1/48 kit. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the nozzles to look like Spey?

Bob

Would probably take a lot of work. The Speys were much bigger engines than the J79, so they had a wider rear fuselage and intakes. It could be done with a lot of cutting and scratch building maybe?
Interestingly, if you can find the World Air Power Journal special on the Phantom, a proposed Spey version, the F-4L, for the USN is mentioned. The idea was to replace the F-8 on smaller carriers. Commonality of the J79 across the fleet and potential problems with supply of Spey parts shelved the idea, but I think would make for an interesting Whif project with the availability of the new Airfix kit.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 12:00 PM UTC
With the size of the kit I think Ill just build it OOB. Stephen thanks for the information. I will look up the World Air Power Journal.

bob
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 - 07:07 PM UTC
I think it would be a big job to convert.

The books a good quick reference on the F-4, has every type listed (including one offs and planned versions) and a huge listing of weaponry and users. Of course, it's only correct up till about the mid-90's.
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC
This came today so no turning back now lol

Like I said, normally only do armour, so a bit out of my comfort zone with this, hopefully I won't do it a disservice.

I will be asking lots of possibly daft questions for advice or guidance from all the Phantom gurus out there.
First one is going to be about paint. I will be doing OOB but what tamiya paints will be the best match for Jolly Rogers box artwork, as I don't really want to buy a load of revell paint ... Any advice is welcome.
John
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 10:36 AM UTC
John, that's going to look really good on that scheme. But what plumb stuck the delivery label over the box art?

Standard US Navy colour at the time is light full grey over gloss white. Rudder and nose are black and bare metal around the tail behind the afterburner cans.
Not sure if Tamiya do a light gull grey straight out of the jar.
If it helps find an equivalent in their range,or a mix, Vallejo's light gull grey is number 71121 and Humbrol's is 129.

I moved on to using Vallejo's as they're much user friendly than Tamiya and the range is vast! No messing around with mixing. Thoroughly recommend them if you can get them.

Off topic, but it baffles me as to why Tamiya's paint range is so small compared to others?
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the steer Stephen, I also was amazed it was posted like that. I was also further amazed that the ends had stayed sealed and no bits got lost ... A postal miracle.
I think I may end up biting the bullet with the paints and getting the revell ones. The grey shades at least, as I want it as near to the box art and illustration pics on the rear as I can get it. I can use the tamiya ones I have to do the rest.
The bits are still in the plastic bags, but after a quick look they look pretty good to my eye.
I almost got that same Phantom you are doing but didn't want to mess up a larger scale so opted for the 1/72 One..looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 02:09 AM UTC
John, I had thought of building 1/72, but it would be too small for my big fingers so I went with 1/48. It will be a learning curve for me also, more use to WW II prop airplanes.

Bob
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 06:43 AM UTC
If I do ok with this one, I may try and look at getting an F14 Tomcat in 1/48.... We shall see.
I'm looking forward to seeing the builds of some of these bigger scale birds and the levels of detail that will go into them...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the steer Stephen, I also was amazed it was posted like that. I was also further amazed that the ends had stayed sealed and no bits got lost ... A postal miracle.
I think I may end up biting the bullet with the paints and getting the revell ones. The grey shades at least, as I want it as near to the box art and illustration pics on the rear as I can get it. I can use the tamiya ones I have to do the rest.
The bits are still in the plastic bags, but after a quick look they look pretty good to my eye.
I almost got that same Phantom you are doing but didn't want to mess up a larger scale so opted for the 1/72 One..looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

No worries, glad to be of help. Revell should have the right shade of grey in their range. Their acrylics are very nice to work with too. A little thick out the jar, but thin easily with water and airbrush really well.
My advice on the FGR.2 though is if you see it GET IT! It's a rebox of Hasegawa's and is around half the price of their box. Both are released rarely and go for silly prices when OOP. Hence why I got two!

I can't believe how that was sent to you. Just a label and no other packaging?
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I do ok with this one, I may try and look at getting an F14 Tomcat in 1/48.... We shall see.
I'm looking forward to seeing the builds of some of these bigger scale birds and the levels of detail that will go into them...

John,

If you're new to aircraft and you want to do a 1/48 F-14, do yourself a favor and spring for the Tamiya kit. Tomcat kits are notoriously tricky to build, but the Tamiya one is definitely the best engineered of the lot. Pricey, but you aren't nearly as likely to throw it against a wall in the middle.

Michael
Johnnych01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 08:41 AM UTC
Yep, as crazy as it sounds, that pic is exactly how it was posted, just the delivery label and the only things securing the end tabs were the normal box clear round sticky discs!!! And posted from Fife in Scotland to me in Cornwall !!!

I would love the tamiya 1/48 Tomcat Michael, but sadly they will not be in my price bracket..the wife would not be a happy bunny lol, but I will endeavour to get that scale from one maker...
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....My advice on the FGR.2 though is if you see it GET IT! It's a rebox of Hasegawa's and is around half the price of their box. Both are released rarely and go for silly prices when OOP. Hence why I got two!....

Mike, Stephen, Revell Germany has the kit in 1/48 out in their 2020 catalogue. It's #04962 and over here it's around 30 Euros. Not really expensive compared to other kits today ....
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 09:19 AM UTC
My campaign book for 2020 is already full but as this campaign will go until June 2021 I'll join the fun with this one here:

It says Revell on the box but it's Hasegawa inside. Originally I planned to build this NATO Diesel during the Bundeswehr Campaign over at Armorama. Have not started the build so I'll switch it over to here and look for something else for the Armorama Campaign. Is that okay for you, guys?

Torsten

Oh, and as for a ribbon there can only be Spooky, right?