Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Detailing wrecked or derelict WWI aircraft
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also from my portfolio 1"The Pride of the German officer Corps" Strickly for the fun of doing it.

See here also.

Someone told me that while this diorama is "cool" it could never have really happened this way.

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
Oh some never learn to say never Stephen.

On another note though seeing this pic, a D.III. Now if you look at the E shaped panel of the floor beneath the shattered fuselage. That is the underseat panel with cutouts for the pilots heels, Not like Rodens D.I/II/III generic interior.

Amazing what pouring over wreck pics yeilds about our hobby.

TY for posting Stephen.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 02:07 PM UTC
All right folks here is a brain teaser for you.

Obviously it is an overturned Fokker D.VII.

1. What German manufacturer?
2. What serial range?
3. What Jasta was it from?
4. Who was the pilot?
5. Did he survive?
6. What caused his crash?
7. What was the date?
8. What Army Captured him and was responsible for bringing him down.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hello Stephen, that was a hole box of tricky questions... I recognise the first picture from somewhere, but I can't quite place it...

For the First question, I'm guessing this is an OAW built machine?

I'll scratch my head a bit on the other questions a bit more...

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 09:26 PM UTC
Found it,

The pilot was Hans Marwede of Jasta 67, he was forced down by machine gun fire from ground troops of the AEF (US troops) on the 3 October 1918. He was taken prisoner, and his OAW Fokker was soon stripped of souvenier leaving it in this state... As for the serial number... Guessing its from the mid production?

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 06:19 AM UTC
Mikael, you get high marks here. All correct except its an "early" OAW version. The lack of louvres on the cowling panels is the main clue. He was brought down attempting to shoot down an observation balloon.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 11:25 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen – Ah, the louvres, I should've thought to look for that.

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 05:05 AM UTC
I have been touting my two dioramas for several years now. Simply labeled as EOW & AAR for brevity sake. You have seen bits and pieces of the builds since that time. Now I am about to turn full tilt to their assemblies.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 05:48 AM UTC
Remember the crashed Roland C.II? Here the same builder does a WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29. The word is WOW!

dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
Wow ! Thanks Stephen ,lots of good info here.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember the crashed Roland C.II? Here the same builder does a WNW Hansa Brandenburg W.29. The word is WOW!

Oh Yes! From the very talented hands of Per-Olav Lund I saw this in the making earlier this year when I visited Norway – I really hoped he would continue building, and post some pics of it!

Absolutely magnificent!

Mikael
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 12:40 AM UTC
He is one of the best ! I love his work too,very creative fellow.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 04:02 AM UTC
Dead stick landing.

Diorama Dreams FB
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 04:10 AM UTC
"1:48 scale Last Flight, significant diorama by Ruslan Slyusarenko."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
Recently my own minor efforts with the Part of Poland brass set S48-127, Roden kit #415, Karaya brass for the Spandau Maxim MGs, Microgroup's Axial propeller, Wood & Wire 5 colour lozenge normal & reversed (for the interiors), Pavla Mercedes D.IIIaü, decals from the spares to match early production machine from Jasta 52.

The story line for this aircraft was that it represents one of the machines that was purposely damaged by its German pilot on landing at Nivelles during the end of war collection of German aircraft. Certainly its pilot or the souvenir hunters did carve off the personal markings.

Now the British / allies were interested in any of the Fokker D.VII types by the terms of the Armistice. But it was the newer machines with the BMW they really wanted. So the damage of an older machine with a Mercedes (old or rebuilt) was not a terrible lose. The older machines were seen to have a very limited life span left.

The story of this set of markings is meant to be a bit of a question. So many instances were not specifically recorded but simply listed under daily operations for the collection fields as arrivals, loses, and dispositions. Dispositions could be salvage, distributed to BEF units or distributed to "others".
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
Seen this one before, but I can't resist to look at it.
It may be something I've missed, to figure out why it is so fantastic.

Regards,

Robert Jan
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC

My version.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 12:32 AM UTC
Admire the works you show to us.
My question to you John is, is the framework for the wing lasercut? If so, or not, this would not be posible having no blueprint for the layout. How do you manage to get this detail.

Regards,

Robert Jan
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Admire the works you show to us.
My question to you John is, is the framework for the wing lasercut? If so, or not, this would not be posible having no blueprint for the layout. How do you manage to get this detail.

Regards,

Robert Jan

Thank you Jan.The aircraft model is one of Model Airways 1/16th scale kits that I highly modified for my purposes.They laser cut their own stuff on sight.Some modelers ,even very well known scratch builders contract the wing rib job out.
Detail is another story ,the hardest part is to know when to quit.Research the subject really well and try and find an example in its natural setting.For example I did a lot of research on what an old WW1 German hanger looked like,the more modern stuff comes from my memories of what old hangars looked like when I was younger.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 06:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the information John.
Happens to be that I know some people who own lasercut machines.
On a railwayforum in Holland a guy is making a living out of it to produce what ever you want. Just deliver him the data and he can produce.
In 1/48 scale I have some planes on the shelf waiting. As from January I'll give them a go.

Regards,

Robert Jan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
Finished! "Seenot" by Per Olav Lund.

This is what is known as being attached to an object wrapped healickly around an incline plain by an axis.
DrIAce
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 12:30 PM UTC
Stephen, Thanks for posting the pics and good to see Per Olav Lund's work again.

ED
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All right folks here is a brain teaser for you.
Obviously it is an overturned Fokker D.VII.

1. What German manufacturer?
2. What serial range?
3. What Jasta was it from?
4. Who was the pilot?
5. Did he survive?
6. What caused his crash?
7. What was the date?
8. What Army Captured him and was responsible for bringing him down.

Time: October 3, 1918

Place: Montfoucon, 2½ miles behind Allied lines

German pilot: UntOff. Hans Heinrich Marwede:

Hans Heinrich Marwede was a former Kest pilot who was assigned to Jasta 67 in June 1918. Between then and 3rd October he accounted for the DH9 of Goodale and four observation balloons. He was captured after his fifth victory on 3rd October when his D VII was hit by ground fire from the American 6th Balloon Company. The whole episode was recorded on film by a US Signal Corps photographer. Marwede ended up under American guard, bruised and dejected. He later rose to the high rank in the Luft-waffe, but Marwede lost his life in a flying accident before World War 2.

Ground troops: American 6th Balloon Company:

This Fokker D VII was allegedly one of six brought down by machine gunners attached to the 6th US Balloon Company in 1918.

Plane: Fokker D VII 4092/18 (OAW) was destroyed

Story:

"According to Jon Guttman's book "Balloon-Busting Aces of WWI,". Jasta 67 launched an all-out attack on the French balloon line between Clermont and Verdun on 14 September. Ltn d R Christiansen was credited with a balloon at 1630 hrs, but in fact the 57e Compagnie balloon he attacked did not flame. At the same time Marwede attacked the 25e Compagnie balloon and destroyed it. Then he flew on to burn another from the 30e Compagnie at 1634 hrs, and a third from the 31e Compagnie four minutes later.

Unfortunately, not much is known about the markings of Marwede's OAW-built Fokker D.VII, or those of Jasta 67 in general. There are several good photos of Marwede's Fokker D.VII (OAW) 4092/18 overturned and in American hands; however, the hundreds of Yanks who swarmed to the spot had already stripped off much of the fuselage fabric by the time the photos were taken. By the way, there is also some incredible motion picture footage taken of Marwede's Fokker spinning down, and Marwede himself sitting dejected amidst his Yank captors.

The intact fabric undeneath the tailplane shows only the factory finish lozenge fabric. The side cowling panels were apparently painted a dark (unknown) color, while the radiator shell area and cowling around the propeller shaft was painted white. The 'polka dot' pattern seen on the upper cowling panel was actually the OAW factory camouflage pattern in green and mauve.

Marwede was lightly grazed by a bullet on his cheek during his attack on 3 October, before he was brought down by American AA fire. His bloodied face is visible in the photos taken just after his capture:

Of course, we could get into a discussion about the correct 'rules of engagement' and proper military action when it came to balloon observers hanging in their parachutes. As they were combatants, coming down within their own territory, many officers on both sides thought it was perfectly acceptable to go after them as well as the gasbags; after all, trained observers were harder to replace than the balloons. I recall some story told by a British fighter pilot (Taffy Jones, I think) in which a high-ranking officer specifically told his pilots to shoot the observers.

This controversial topic of shooting parachuting observers also formed the subject for scenes in the BBC TV series 'Wings' and in the old classic Frederic March movie 'The Eagle and the Hawk'.

Greg VanWyngarden"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 04:14 PM UTC
Note the cooling vents in the chin pan Of the over-turned Fokker D.VII. Initially to get the pilot out the Dougboys cut the fuselage fabric with bayonets to get the harness straps.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finished! "Seenot" by Per Olav Lund.

This is what is known as being attached to an object wrapped healickly around an incline plain by an axis.

this is stunning

paul