_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
"Show your Teeth!" Campaign... Sign Up NOW!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 06:24 PM UTC

If you want to sign up for this adventure, take a look at the official "Show you Teeth" page!
In short words, every aircraft with a Nose Art showing teeth is elligible. All era, all nations, all scales...

Every finished model will be rewarded with this nice looking ribbon

So what are you waiting for... enlist NOW!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

STUNNING artwork! I'm signed up - all I need to do now is to decided what to build... suddenly I keep spotting Sharkmouth-decorated kits on the shelves! I'll probably do a P-40 - I've never built one and you have to sometime, don't you - but Sword's little Auster looks great with its Sharkmouth too...

All the best

Rowan
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
I'm only just getting started building models again and my model building skills suck at the present time. I really want that ribbon................................................can I just borrow a model with teeth on it and say it is mine? :-)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
Signed up and getting the kit for Xmas, but i'll have to find some decals for it. Looking forward to this campaign, Bombs away campaign, the Meow campaign, Bucket Bonanza 2006 an a couple of others. Oh hell i've done it again, signed up for every campaign iv'e got a kit for. Hope the Beloved doesn't want to talk to me for the next 8 months :-)8 :-) .
Andy (++)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really want that ribbon................................................can I just borrow a model with teeth on it and say it is mine? :-)

Hi Ramon... the answer is... NO! :-) I'm afraid you have to build something... with teeth on it!

By the way, I'll do something French... what a surprise!

It would be cool, once the official thread is started in the Campaign Forum, if every participant could post one picture of the choosen kit (like the above one), one in-progress picture and of course one picture of the finished model. I think it must be possible too have a dedicated gallery for the build... I will "work" on that!

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi Ramon... the answer is... NO! I'm afraid you have to build something... with teeth on it!

I know, I know. But it didn't hurt to ask.
Hey Jean-Luc, I am going to build another P-40 for this project. I'm the guy who's Uncle was an original Flying Tiger remember? Could you please recomend a good kit? I found a kit online the other day that actually comes with the decal sheet for my Uncles plane but I didn't save the link and can't find it again.

many thanks, and I'm looking forward to this build.
VonCuda

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm the guy who's Uncle was an original Flying Tiger remember?

Hi Hermon! Off course I remember! It's great to have you with us on this campaign.
your Uncle flew this plane while in the AVG...

To model this plane (in 1/48 scale) you would have two options:
1 - The old Monogram P-40B kit. It has raised rivets and panel lines and is difficult to find but is considered to be accurate in shape...
2 - The Hobbycraft/Academy P-40B/C kit wich is newer, has engraved panel lines but is considered to be inaccurate in shape...
In both cases, you would have to scan for an Aftermarket Decal sheet (if available!?) as both kits don't have the precise decoration of your Uncle's plane I think.

The kit you are talking about is probably Hasegawa's new P-40E kit (wich I have in my stash). The kit comes indeed with markings for a plane flown by your Uncle Ed. Rector as you can see on the boxart.

But "technically" speaking, this is not an AVG plane anymore! As the United States entered into WW2, the Flying Tigers became the 23rd Fighting Group of the U.S. Army Air Force and therefore lost their chinese roundels for U.S. stars (Note the overpainted chinese markings on the picture above).

Fred Boucher (JPTRR) built this kit not long ago and you can have a precise overview of the kits difficulties, mainly regarding the typical Hasegawa inserts. Some others found the kit not that difficult so I think Fred choosed the hard way to show us what not to do while building the kit! :-)

Here's the link to Fred's P40-E thread.

Looking forward to see your model of your Uncle's plane Ramon!

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

I didn't know that new campaigns would be approved before 2006. I hope that this has not ruined my chances to host my proposed Suez stripes 50th anniversary campaign

Of course I'll join your dental campaign. Who knows, I just might build a Swedish aircraft in 1/72! :-)

The only one that I have found using teeth is the Saab J21A;

Then again, I've seen this extremely cool pod (containing eight 7,9 mm machine guns) to be hanged under a J21R...

Would that be accepted?

Cheers!!!

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would that be accepted?

Hi Björn!

You're kidding! :-) Of course that would be accepted! The gun pod looks sooooo cool!

Nice to have you with us!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:05 AM UTC
As if I don't have enough to be getting on with

I have a P-40 and Skull markings which I have been itching to build so I'll give it a go, but don't expect me to finish

Jean-Luc, I'm unable to put my name down for the campaign, there doesn't appear to be a buuton to click?

Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
I'm in with a 1/72 hasegawa catmouth hellcat. It will probably be oob and a pretty quick build.

Leon
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm unable to put my name down for the campaign, there doesn't appear to be a buuton to click

Hi Mal

There should be an "enlist" button towards the top of the blue panel at the right of the campaign page.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc, I'm unable to put my name down for the campaign, there doesn't appear to be a buuton to click?

Hi Mal!

Maybe you already exceeded the number of Campaigns limit! :-)
The "enlist" button is clearly visible on the page for me... maybe you should "refresh" your browser or empty your cache folder?

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
I've enlisted now
'onest guv, there were no enlist button there when I last looked. Is it another attempt at conspiracy?
Mal
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 05:14 AM UTC
Ok Jean-Luc, you were right about the Hasegawa P-40E kit. It was exactly what I was looking for. Fred has already built this kit and you say you have one in your stash.........I checked with my local model shop and can't get my hands on one until after Jan 1st. You guys make me sick! :-)
I must warn you........and every one else.... that my P-40 will be quite ferocious and should probably be displayed on it's own seperate page lest it should become agitated and harm or even eat someone elses plane.

respectfully yours,
VonCuda......future owner of the most terrifying P-40 death machine in the world. In 1/48 scale that is.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hi Hermon!

That's good news... looking forward to see your most terrifying P-40 death machine in the world!

Jean-Luc
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC

...count me in...

N
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi Nigel!

Nice one! Welcome aboard!

Jean-Luc
Darktrooper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 03:38 PM UTC
I'm going to try and get in on this campaign, all the way from sunny afghanistan. Since I happened across an A-7E Corsair II model at the Hobby club here.
gcdavidson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
Great idea for a campaign.. I'm in for either a CF T-33, RAF F-4 or Su-25, got sharkmouth decs for all of them
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi Darktrooper and Stormfront!

Modern stuff would be great to add diversity to the Campaign! Welcome aboard...

Jean-Luc
swingbowler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
hi everyone,

i finally decided to join this campaign. i have a DML 1/72 P-61 with teeth decals. i also have an aires detail set. i'll be using a resin set for the first time here, so hope you guys can be supportive when i encounter problems..
sharkmouth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
OK, I do not know HOW I missed this post, but with a moniker like Sharkmouth, I MUST sign up!

Jean-Luc, can I include an armor entry with shark's teeth? LOL, you may get some armor modelers to join the ranks as well as get some aircraft modelers to try armor!

Regards,
Saúl García
 _GOTOTOP