_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The "Flyboys"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
The Flyboys disc set is enroute to Habicht.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Im still waiting for Flyboys to make the cinema here in the UK
If I can get a multi region dvd player Im going to order the region 1 DVD from Ebay. Really looking forward to seeing this!
Nige
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:51 AM UTC
Greetings all;

WWI aviation author Greg VanWyngarden has commented on the 2 disc set.

"...I only wish there had been more footage of the real airplanes in the air. The shots of the Sopwith Strutter floating over the English countryside are incredible.

I've not had time to view all of the "extras" on the two-disc DVD set, but I have noticed something about the deleted scenes. The film's writers were obviously (again) loosely inspired by real events in the history of the historical Escadrille.

The scene in which Nunn's mother arrives (unknowingly) just in time for the aftermath of his funeral was based on the death of SPA. 124 member Douglas MacMonagle, whose SPAD was shot down by Albatros fighters (apparently Kissenberth of Jasta 23) on 24 September 1917. Charles Dolan had to go out and recover MacMonagle's body, then later had the sad duty of meeting MacMonagle's mother as she arrived at the Senard train station and telling her of her son's death.

The cut scene in which Whiskey playfully knocks a high-ranking French officer (Tcheky Karyo's only scene in the movie) to the ground and is then expelled from the squadron was entirely based on fact. In October 1917, the commander of Groupe de Combat 13, Commandant Philippe Fequant, was visiting the Lafayette. Whiskey knocked Fequant to the ground and proceeded "to chew up the front of his tunic and his visor cap. In anger, the commandant had first ordered both lions shot but had relented and had instead ordered them to the Jardin des Plantes, a Paris zoo."

Later, the escadrille pilots would always visit Whiskey whenever they were in Paris, and Whiskey always recognized them.

The DVD extras reveal some interesting facts about the filming and training of the lion used in the movie.

I only wish the "extras" had included more about the REAL airplanes used in the filming, and some interviews with the real pilots... The 'documentary" about the actual Escadrille could have benefitted from actual 1916-17 footage of the Escadrille (there is actually quite a bit, though the scenes shown in the movie theater at the beginning of "Flyboys" actually show the 103rd Aero and its SPADs).

Greg"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
Greetings all, good news.

Quoted Text

On March 6 Habicht wrote: "I received the DVD set yesterday, or should I say...it made the long way safe and really fast... faster than myself actually. Because I was some weeks out of town. Thanks again... Now, as I have watched the movie, I am thinking about building a WWI subject...
with regards
Jan"

habicht
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 08:59 PM UTC
Greetings...
Indeed, i liked the film very much. Of course, there are some inaccuracies, as noted before. But it is an movie, its intend is to entertain and to remember the men that fought in this war. And in this the film is successful. I've read many reviews...many with negative reactions. Bad script, too simple etc. But i think, as i said before, it is entertaining...so whats the problem? Sure, its no masterpiece, no epic...but i don't think anyone expected it to be. And, may be, some people are motivated by this movie to build some wwI subjects, or even get to modelling in general. As Stephen quoted, i will think about some wwI aircraft as my next build. The Eduard-Kits are very tempting...and the options...but i digress. So I would fully recommend "Flyboys"...

regards

jan
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im still waiting for Flyboys to make the cinema here in the UK
If I can get a multi region dvd player Im going to order the region 1 DVD from Ebay. Really looking forward to seeing this!
Nige

If you want mine, you may get it for free. Send me a PM..

Greetings, Nico
 _GOTOTOP