_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The early bird gets the...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"Hi there...The Blue Max? Well - that will appear as a prize... for the best Armorama (Aeroscale) WW1 build of 2006 (with Stephen as judge). So, get building now! All the best Rowan

Greetings all;
Remember this from our Mega-Build of the Royal Fokker D.VII? Heads up folks it is on its way! Details to be announced very shortly, but I would take some time to survey your "to build" stack and choose one.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
Will this cover all of 2006 builds?
I must be really loosing it because I quite like the alternative colour scheme for the #10 Naval Sqn Camel.

Nige
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi
That sounds real nice. Let the best model wing.
Lars
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
I'm definately up for this
Mal
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi all

with such great artists as Stephen, Lars, Mal and Nigel already in how should some average modeller like myself take the courage to enter this competition, huh? Life is just not fair!

BTW Stephen (or others): is there a 1/48 model of the Nieuport X? I just read an article about Alexander Kosakov (the first russian ace) and his unusual ideas .... achors to bring a/c down or fitting a Maxim MG into his Nie.X at an 25° angle to avoid shooting his prop ... there are even 6 images of this kite in the mag showing the MG mounted ... cool stuff

best wishes

Steffen

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
Greetings all;

The rules will give you all the details. But here are some hints.

1.The build has to be for this contest. Nothing built in 2006 previous to the rules being posted will be able to compete.

2. Since PART of the prize will be an Eduard (faux) Blue Max. (..NOTE the PART thing folks...) I would suggest you choose something from Eduard or Gavia.

3. I will not be competeing in this. (Lord knows I have a wall full of those award thingies and I have access to six real and two faux Blue Max medals. I don't need another.) But as a judge I have to say, don't let me see any seams in your completed build.

4. No second or third prizes this time.

5. I will try to answer all posts and queries here to help you with your builds. But this may only be with a reference to a source of information. You do the research and the building.

6. For Rowan and I to judge this thing we have to see your work and you have to tell us what you did. But there will be limits to how many images and how much text.

7. These are Not the rules....just hints.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

with such great artists as Stephen, Lars, Mal and Nigel already in how should some average modeller like myself take the courage to enter this competition, huh? Life is just not fair!

BTW Stephen (or others): is there a 1/48 model of the Nieuport X? I just read an article about Alexander Kosakov (the first russian ace) and his unusual ideas .... achors to bring a/c down or fitting a Maxim MG into his Nie.X at an 25° angle to avoid shooting his prop ... there are even 6 images of this kite in the mag showing the MG mounted ... cool stuff
best wishes Steffen

Just to be clear I am NOT competeing in this contest.

Steffen; My concern is for the average modeler. I am doing this because I like the subject matter. I like sharing information. This Contest will be aimed at the average modeler and certain limitations will make that clear. The object here will be "to build a well done model." To surprise yourself and take your skills a bit farther than where you started. But most of all to have fun learning something a bit new.

On the Nieuport X, I think that Rosemont Hobbies used to sell a 1/48 vacuform kit of that. Maybe Tom's Modelworks but that maybe out of production. I'll check my files.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:44 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

Many thanks for your answers. I did an internet search and came up with a Nieuport X model from "Orion" .. I have never heard from that manufacturer. As you suggested and for actually having a chance to complete the kit I would choose an Eduard kit for this.

I do understand now that you will not compete :-) still I guess I will not have a chance ... but lets take this Olympic ... I am in.

Maybe I will do my Nie.11 in Leffers markings, so I'll not have a hard time in masking and painting...

best wishes

Steffen
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi Steffen
Lets wait for the rules, then we can give it a real try.For me the biggest worry is that we are given just a few weeks to get the model finished. As you and this forum knows I´m no good with the fast projects, so this will be something new for me.
And Steffen, I see myself as a average modeller, aren´t we all that

Lars
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi Lars

Quoted Text

Lets wait for the rules, then we can give it a real try.

You are right, it is necassary to know the rules before entering the competition.

Quoted Text

For me the biggest worry is that we are given just a few weeks to get the model finished. As you and this forum knows I´m no good with the fast projects, so this will be something new for me.

Time is a big issue for me too. I get some blockades several times during each model (mostly cockpit, then painting, then decalling and finally finishing it all off) as you can see from my I-16 Typ 10 build ....

Quoted Text

And Steffen, I see myself as a average modeller, aren´t we all that

Well, I do not think you are an average modeller, especially not when it comes to WW I. I just remembe your DH.2, which I could never in my life time do nearly as good!!!

But I guess I have an idea what you mean. If one is ever totally satisfied with what he did then there is no (or few) challenge in another project of that kind AND there is alway someone who is better (one or another way) ... right?

Thanks for the heads up!

best wishes

Steffen
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi Steffen
Thats the spirit.
If everyone would build in the same pace as I do, there would be hobbieshop going dead every week. The DH-2 took me almost 3½ month.In that time I had to repaint the topcolour, and correct some other selfmade problems.

So this will be be a real challenge for me. .

I hope that a lot of builder will sign up for this one.
Heads up man
Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
Ok folks, Merlin is checking the final daft of the contest rules at this time.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:24 AM UTC
Well then; The early bird gets the worm and the cat is out of the bag. The rabbit is on the run and who let the dogs out?! Its all up to you now.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/83811&page=1

1. I will use this thread to answer questions about references.

2. The Con thread will be for you to post your questions about the rules and post your results.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:35 AM UTC
Greetings all; So it begins. i had a PM on the subject.

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen:

Well, I must say I'm quite excited by the contest you announced today.

I immediately went to the Eduard site to see what I would like to pick for my entry.

That's when I hit a brick wall. There is so much to choose from!

I've never built an Eduard kit before and were wondering if you had any commentary on the quality of the different lines.

I see they have a range of kits that are anywhere from under $10 up to around $50. I see the obvious difference of the masks and photo etch, but I was wondering of the cheaper kits are older molds and more difficult to work with. I want to have fun with this project without breaking the bank, but if it means I'll be wrestling the parts all the way through, then I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to enjoy it more.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Stephen!

John

Hello John;

When it comes to Eduard, the average modeler is what they try to please. The price differences do have direct releationships to the contents of the box but not the quality of the kit. Eduard has discontinued all of their older molds and what they have available now are good quality kits that are aimed at you being able to build them. Using basic skills and a little for-thought you will have good results. If you are use to building all plastic kits I encourage you to try one with a little photoetch, If you have comfortably built kits with a little photoetch try one with more photoetch and some masking. Remember this is basically an out of the box build except for what you can scratchbuild. That in itself may stretch you in to areas where you have never gone before. Choice is the greatest freedom. Choose well.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will use this thread to answer questions about references.

Hi Stephen

so here it comes. As posted in the other thread I'll do the Fokker D.VII (OAW) in the markings of Franz Büchner. I have read somewhere (I can't remember where) that the eduard instructions are wrong, because his kite was a BMW powered a/c. Is this correct?

Do you know of any photos of this Fokker D.VII? I like to base my models on pictures..

Many thanks in advance!

blue skies

Steffen
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 03:43 PM UTC
count me in! i have an eduard dual albatros kit sent to me by merlin for review, so i can kill two birds with one stone.
one question, when does this build start, and more citically-when does it end?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hi Phil

see the official contest thread: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/83811&page=1

cheers

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen
So here it comes. As posted in the other thread I'll do the Fokker D.VII (OAW) in the markings of Franz Büchner. I have read somewhere (I can't remember where) that the eduard instructions are wrong, because his kite was a BMW powered a/c. Is this correct?

Do you know of any photos of this Fokker D.VII? I like to base my models on pictures.. Many thanks in advance! blue skies
Steffen

Hey Steffen
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net//features/780

Pages 18 -19. The green and white striped tail unit on Ltn. Franz Büchner Jasta 13 machine is unconfirmed by any photos I have seen on the subject. It was probably the same blue as the fuselage. But he may have had more than one machine painted in this scheme. This late model OAW built machine is seen after the war. Wingless and without its horizontal or vertical tail units. Its blue seemed much lighter than other images of Jasta 13 examples that are available. Note as mentioned before, the reference to Büchner’s late version OAW having a BMW engine is not supported by any photos that I have seen.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in! i have an eduard dual albatros kit sent to me by merlin for review, so i can kill two birds with one stone.
one question, when does this build start, and more citically-when does it end?

Hey Phil,
We begin with the posting of the rules. Contest closes midnight Nov. 30, 2006 (Rocky Mountain Time) The winner will be announced Dec.5, 2006.
Model On! Stephen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hello Stephen

Many thanks for the link and information! Much appreciated!!!

blue skies

Steffen
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi
I´m signing in, the entry for me will be Eduards Nieuport 17 profipac. Kit number 8033.
Lars
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Well, call me crazy but when I heard about this contest I went to Eduards site and bought no less than FOUR 1/48 scale kits. I couldn't make up my mind and also seeing that I'm relatively new to WWI builds I wanted to get a cross section of kits which require different skill levels. Once I have them in hand, I'll hopefully be able to determine which one I'm most confident in being able to complete while challenging myself a little more than normal. Here's the list of what I'll be picking from:

Hanriot HD.1 Italian Service (Limited Edition)

Pfalz D.IIIa (Weekend Edition)

Albatros W.4 PROFIPACK

Sopwith F.1 Camel RFC

So time will tell which one of these will make it to the finish line! Good luck to everyone who participates!

Cheers,

John
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi All!

I must be insane... Totally crazy.... mad, mad ,mad!

I was talked into this (Thanks, Lars!) and now I´m going to do something I have not done for well over 35 years, build a biplane!

I will build the Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.V, kit no 8110.

So, count me in and well met in the big blue!

Cheers! (I´ll need that now!)

Stefan E
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must be insane... Totally crazy.... mad, mad ,mad!
I was talked into this (Thanks, Lars!)

Great Scott
I´v had no idea I was that good :-) :-)
You are most welcome; I think we need some coffees and some talk over this, i guess I have to build something modern

Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great Scott I´v had no idea I was that good :-) :-) You are most welcome; I think we need some coffees and some talk over this, i guess I have to build something modern Lars

Modern? But they quit making real aircaft in 1918 didn't they?
 _GOTOTOP