World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa Fw 190A-4 and Fw 190F-1 (Down Low)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
No worries, mate!

But I just had to write it ...

Steffen
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
@ Steffen, Stefan, Steffan, Stephen Nice work so far on your birds. The A-4 was one of my favorite variants along with the F-8. It would be nice to have a Butcher Bird Campaign or Group Build some day!! Keep up the good work.

P.S. Sorry if I didn't include one of your many name spellings-lol(just having fun)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi all

Day 10: fine tuning

The progress today was marginal. I demasked the plane (except for the canopy). Then I polished some rough areas and sprayed on a nice coat of Klear.

Tomorrow will see the first decals applied (hopefully).

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC
Day 11: Fw 190 F-1 decals

This is what i did yesterday, but as I learned the hard way: never touch a model you just decaled (especially when using Daco red) I just put it to the side and took pictures today.

I used the Hasegawa decals with swasticas from Aeromaster. These were probably the most problematic Hasegawa decals I ever used. They just did not want to come of the decal sheet (and i used very hot water which normally brings decals off in 2-3 seconds) and had a very strong tendency to fold over (if you ever have worked with Propagteam decals, you knwo what I mean).

Well, long story short: I managed to get most decals on, exept for the starboard walk ways, which was twisted .. I put it on anyway and used plenty of Daco red .. another coat of Klear will do the rest. Alle decals blended very good with the surface and I hope with said layer of Klear it will become even better.

Some decals are still missing but I will put them on later today. Also the wheel well covers will be added ...

One small mistake: the fuselage "Balkenkreuze" are a few mm too far backwards as is the "
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
Day 13: schmutzige Wäsche

I did not progress yesterday (except for a few small decals added), thus no update.
Today I did a little detail painting: black panels behind the exhausts, mantlets for the oleos, tail wheel ... Furthermore I added the inboard u/c covers (which were up on the pix in "Fw 190 in N.Africa"). Then I gave the whole thing a nice wet coat of Klear and let it dry for some hours.

Now for the dirty part. As my first washing i use black and umbra water colours (see picture) which I mix according to the underlaying colour --- more umbra for the lighter colours. The I put it aside to dry. The earlier you start to wipe away the watercolour the less sticks to the panel lines. if you do not like it .. just take a wet cloth and wipe everything away (the gloss coat makes things easier). Also if you add more water to this wash it will lighten up as you have less pigments on your model.

I will let is almost completely dry this time and use a damp cloth, which will leave the lines very pronounced, but I intend to use a filter/pigment wash afterwards which will reduce the effect ...

I hope this all makes sense ....

again comments welcome

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

You seem to like to live dangerously!

It's like a show with a magician. Will the trick work or will it end into a desaster!?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:32 AM UTC
This is how it looks dried. As you can see I added a little more water to the wings. on the lower side I put more water right than left to illustrate the difference. Further updates will be a little difficult as my disk space at kitmaker is full ... choices, choices ..what to delete???

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steffen!

You seem to like to live dangerously!

It's like a show with a magician. Will the trick work or will it end into a desaster!?

Jean-Luc

Hi Jean-Luc

may I ask what you find dangerous?

best wishes

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

may I ask what you find dangerous?

Hi Steffen!

The fact that you've covered the whole model with paint!
Even if I know this is watercolor, I would probably feel unconfortable to see my model "dirty" like that and couldn't resist the temptation to clean it right away. I'm looking forward to see how it will look like at the end. I may try this technique in the future...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:01 PM UTC
Guten Morgen Jean-Luc and all others too

actually it is no problem to get all washing off with water .... although it is a little more difficult on a flat coat.

In the pix below (for which I had to remove some of my Willys Jeep pix) you can see the result after all is rubbed away with a damp cloth ... I hope the pix show the effect, as it is not easily photographed on dark surfaces (just take the uderside as reference and think a bit darker ...)

I think I will cover this with a semi-flat coat to give the filter some grip.

stay tuned

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 02:59 PM UTC
Day 14: dust to dust

Yesterday I added the announced layer of semi-matt (Vallejo Air). After it was dry I took out my MIGset "Sand and Earth for desert and summer conditions" and mixed Light Dust, Gulf War Sand and a little African Eearth (not too much as it is pretty red). I applied a first coat dry with a flat brush .. but the effect was not as I wanted it and so I mixed the dust with Humbrol thinner (very much thinner! ... 95% or even more) and applied it wet. (Pic. 28 .. the wings are still wet)

After it has dried I removed most of the pigments from the panel lines and other corners, as I just wanted to give the machine a dusty finish .. I am still undecided if I should cover the pigments with some flat coat for protection. On the underside I used my toothbrush --- actually an old spare --- to simulate some mud thrown up by the wheels (just read the mentioned book .. it rained a lot in Tunesia ) but I tried to keep it subtle and not as pronounced as on my Soviet P-40E

The exhaust stains are just experimental and will be added with airbrush later. The Revell boxing of Dragons Fw 190 A-8/G-8 contains a 500kg bomb, so I got my armament .. I will add the brake lines but must check refs first. Then the wheel bay covers and the wheels will be added. And finally the bomb, guns, u/c indicators, position lights and other small stuff will be attached .. but there is some work involved until then.

best wishes

Steffen
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 03:37 PM UTC
Looking good!
That water color method seems interesting. I think I should give it a try as well. Usually my attempts with washes end up in frustration as the wash refuses to wipe off. I recently started using ground-up pastels instead of traditional washes. The good thing is that they can be spread with water (I think other thinners should work as well), stick well enough, but can be completely removed if the effect fails for some reason. I think water colors would work in a similar way. I presume they stick a little better than pastels though?

Quoted Text

Further updates will be a little difficult as my disk space at kitmaker is full ... choices, choices ..what to delete???

Instead of deleting anything, why not get a photobucket account instead?
http://photobucket.com/
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hi Eetu

many thanks for you rkind comment.

As for webspace. I have the IPMS website where I can put up pictures. But as i am not always sure how to name a certain folder, changes are sometimes necassary (as for sure in this case) so I wanted it to be on the kitmaker server, because I cannot change my posts after 24 hours.

I do not want to use photobucket (or similar services) because I have often seen, that linking does not always work (maybe it was improved meanwhile)

A 2nd problem is German Law .. you know German national emblems 1933-45 are forbidden by law and punished hard so I may have some problems when putting some of the pictures on the IPMS site

For this build I will keep it here and delete the folder later and then post a link to my German article (which I still have to write) on the IPMS Deutschland site. The Willys was neglected anyway ... OTOH maybe I could send the photos to J-L or Rowan like our Asian collegues often do ...

best wishes

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hello fellow Focke Wulf maniacs

I was a bit quiet over the last days, as the interest was very low and my kitmaker disk space is full. Now I have everything together (except for the aerial, which can go very wrong and thus I do a photo session before I attach it to the model). I hope I have everything on the model, here are the pix:

As always ... comments are welcome.

I already put a page on my website which has only pix at the moment .. the article will follow as soon as I can.

Fw 190 F-1 of Fritz Schröter (Kdr. III./SKG 10, Tunesia 1943)

If it is ready I will delete the in progress pix from my kitmaker account. Also you will find that the Swastikas will be erased from the pix soon (reason mentioned above), they are just on now, because I wanted to show they are there ...

happy modelling

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OTOH maybe I could send the photos to J-L or Rowan like our Asian collegues often do ...

best wishes

Steffen

Hi Steffen

Looking great - and by all means send in the pics if you want to submit a Build Feature or On Display. We don't actually store pics in the content section simply to allow people to free up their Gallery space - I guess you could say we ask for a little in return for the time it takes to edit and upload the pics.

All the best

Rowan
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC
LOVE IT!!!

Thats come out really nice. I'd be proud to build a model like that

Nice work fella
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 - 03:29 PM UTC
Many thanks Howard!

I am o.k with this build: no major glitches (AFAIK), got the desired effect and it is nice in the showcase .. but it is no outstanding work either.

I forgot to mention, that I replaced the wing root barrels with hypodermic needle ... it is just what I mostly do.

BTW I decided what machine the other Fw 190 A-4 will be. Normally I do not build second line a/c but this time I will do Nowotny's A-4 with JG 101 in Pau as it is well documented in LiF 11 and there are decals from LifeLike .. another challenge: a very shiny finish

cheers

Steffen

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi All

today I recieved a nice package of LifeLike decals from HLJ .. luckily without having to pay further taxes.

I will (have to) use the markings for Nowontny's Fw 190 A-4 " triple chevron" as it has the cooling flaps (you remember .. there is a 2nd Fw 190 A-4 to be finished):

I do not know when I will proceed ... hopefully soon.

best wishes

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Nice build. I like seeing build from begining to end. Interesting wash technique. I am afraid if I try that, I will end up with umber colored cats. I don't think my wife would like that.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi all

@Carl: many thanks! Regarding the wash .. just try it and you will know

Now that Rowan has my article and put it online, I will remove the pictures from my account to have some picture space for future builds.

here is the Aeroscale feature: Focke Wulf Fw 190 F-1

I also have a German article Focke Wulf Fw 190 F-1

best wishes

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Hows the A-4 going? I'm really looking forward to seeing this bird.
It has some very unusual markings. Was triple Chevron a rare paintjob or more personel for Nowotny?

H
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Howard

The Fw 190A-4 is progressing, but pretty slow because I try to do another "double build" .. the Eduard A-8 was resting half finished in my shelf (I have some issues with the wind shield) .. and I try to push both a little further.

The Hasegawa kit will get its canopy closed and the primer soon. But I have my birthday this week and therefore I have to pause modelling and concentrate on room cleaning ... if you know what I mean

Also I will provide less photos this time, as everything is very similar to the F-1 ....

I have the feeling, that the triple chevron was not that rare .. maybe it was some different kind of Kommodore markings. I know a couple of pix of Bf 109 and Fw 190 ... The camo is also standard 74/75/76 plus mottling except that this machine is highly polished and looks very clean.

best wishes

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Fantastic, thanks for the info Steffen. I have the Eduard A8 but have not started it yet as I want to increase my modelling skills before I tackle the kit. Are Eduard planning on releasing every version of the A series? It would be nice to see some Eduard Dora's too.
I look forward to seeing your progress.

Well if I do not speak to you in the mean time have a great Birthday.

Howard
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
Happy Birthday to you mate, I hope that you'll have a great one!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

but I think it is bad luck to congratulate before something is achived

best wishes

Steffen