_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Helldiver, all out build!
R3thepaklo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
Great build - I joined this site to say I really enjoyed following your build. Very entertaining.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
Thanks again, gents, for all your kind words.

Life's been busy! I've been at my job hammer and tongs, the wife and I have had the flu- even the dog had some surgery! Everything's working out okay- and I've had a chance to do a little follow-up to the Helldiver- enjoy!

Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
Bloody hell! Absolutely brilliant yet again Chuck!
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 03:28 PM UTC
Absolute genius Chuk, I was just getting over my cold turkey from Lil Chuk an Abe withdrawl and you hit us with this and off we go again!!

Put us out of our misery, when does the 410 project start?
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 05:13 PM UTC
Those oil filters did a marvelous job of breaking up a monotone colour. The base and figures compliment the Helldiver quite nicely. So will the 410 have a blog to call home in the future?

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 06:39 AM UTC
Just great Chuk. I only hope this thread stays, because I'm going to need it for method reference in the future

One thing annoys me though. The trick with the dividers! I knew that! , sort of. I can make my way around the Stockholm archipelago in a sailboat. I use that trick everyday out on the water. (GPS is only the last resort, of course) So why in h*ll haven't I realised it can be used this way?

It's hard to think outside the box so I thank you for that, and all the other tips.

Tony
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
Simply superb Chuk, thank you very much for the knowledge and the entertainment
I agree with Jean-Luc, a milestone in online modelling.

I have already built a Helldiver so I won't be trying to follow this (I wish ) but I do have a 410 in my stash so I'm really looking forward to seeing that take shape. It'll be interesting to see who helps with that build
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:12 PM UTC
Amazing this one of those times when others are inspired to build even when people like me don' t do planes, i guess i better find something to build, thanks for posting this wonderful model. I can't wait for that 410.
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing this one of those times when others are inspired to build

I agree. Makes me want to finish something. And try out those filters.

Congrats Chuck.
This post was removed.
Stpete01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC
Hi,
I was surfing the net looking for data/images on The SB2C when I ran across your post. AWEESOME!! ABSOLUTELTY FREAKIN' UNBELIEVABLE. I wish I had 1/10th the skill of guys like you. I have to rely on buying the right parts and hoping that they all go together the way that they're supposed to.
I'm planning on building 2 of 'em-a -1 and a -4. I've got pretty much everything: the 2 Accurate Miniatures kits; the Big Ed BIG4872 (-1) and BIG4870 (-4) sets; Engines 'N Things CW R-2600-20's; Quickboost exhausts and air scoops; Falcon canopies; AeroMaster stencils and True Details wheel set. The only thing I need is a couple of the KMC wing fold sets. Since they're out of business and Squadron (Which bought the rights to some of their kits) isn't going to make the wing folds, I'll have to build my own. I have some good images, CorelDraw 11 and I have a friend who does custom Photo-Etch. I'll have to make the masters for the resin parts of the wing folds.
Once this project is done, I'm going to start on my Skyraiders. I've picked up six of the Tamiya kits (some on eBay, some at yard and garage sales...the cheapest I got one for was $2.00). One I'll build as an A-1J. I've also got the conversion kits for a AD-4, an AD-4Q, an AD-4W, an AD-5, an AD-5Q, an AD-5W and a Dynavector A2D-1. At least I don't have to build anything from scratch for these. The Cutting Edge wing folds are worth their weight in gold. Glad I bought them before they folded. Well- watching what guys like you can do gives guys like me a lot of encouragement.
Thanks!
Norbert E. Onaitis
16 Elwood Drive
West Seneca, New York
14224-4204
United States of America
[email protected]
(716) 675-8005 [home]
(716) 480-8040 [cell]
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
Woooooooow

Absolutely stunning model

Cheers Nick
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
WOW.......WOW..........WOW.........

Your an absolutely amazing and talented builder!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Spence
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
Chuck,

That is absolutely fantastic work on the Helldiver. Your build brings back some memories because I used to do box art, website and brochure builds for Accurate Miniatures in the early 2000's and the Atlantic scheme Helldiver was one of them. The late Thomas Myers, who was the art director, photographer and general driving force for AccurateMiniatures, shot the photos of my build for that release and he also did the stunning artwork profile that comes with that kit. Those artwork profiles that came with the Accurate Miniatures kits during the companies reincarnation were really well done and are a great reminder of Thom's artistic ability.
I am sure Thom would be very proud of your build Chuck.

Best wishes,

Ian
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
It looks like I owe everybody a great big THANKS!! I can't believe these posts slipped by me- boy, is my face red! In case anyone is still there:

Nick: Many thanks!

Steve, since we're about 3 or 4 projects down the line, i hope you enjoyed the 410 as well.

Hi, Matt! Many thanks, mate!

Ahoy, Tony! Glad to be of service.

Well, Mal- I'm still waiting for your 410! ;D

Many thanks, Robert! If you don't build planes, then what do you build?

Wow, Nick- any progress reports? Many thanks- and cheers!

NickZour- cheers, my friend!

You are too kind, Spence- my thanks!

Ian- your art has always impressed me to no end- cheers! I was saddened at Thom's untimely passing- thanks for the kind words. I used to live near Chapel Hill, btw- small world, innit?

Again, my profuse thanks- and rest assured, the Helldiver is safe in my glass model case to this very day. If you haven't seen my IAR81C build, look it up in these pages. Onward!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 09:38 AM UTC
Re-reading this touchstone, it demands a:

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish I had 1/10th the skill of guys like you.

You do, you just don't know it yet. Now that you've picked something as ambitious as you have, just keep plugging away until you're satisfied. I started simple. Remember there are people in this hobby that scratch build the entire plane - so any screw ups you make CAN be corrected - and you'll learn more doing it. Any questions you have just post them here - do a build log. Keeping it alive will keep you going and give you the chance to ask any questions you have and receive the opinion of many of us.
 _GOTOTOP