World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Helldiver, all out build!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi Chuck.
This is just getting better and better.
Why am I getting the urge to order plastic-card and sharpen up the dremel?
Nige
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:40 AM UTC
Nice cards, are we going to see a chukw signature hidden on the helldiver like on the cards?
I think you've definitely put your own stamp on that kit.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 03:25 PM UTC
Thanks, Nigel- clean white styrene is a wonderful thing- a true tonic for the spirit!

A hidden signiture will probably appear on the base, Jatpee- but I should start signing my builds in hidden places- just for the neurosis of it! We now return to our scheduled programming:

Filling seams is probably my least favorite part of the build- but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Me, too! :rolleyes: :lol:

f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:36 PM UTC
Seam filling. A necessary evil. But you managed to make it entertaining. Maybe next time you could slay the dreaded Carpet Monster! That creature has been a thorn in my side for far too long.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

-Matt
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 01:53 PM UTC
Thanks, Matt- I'm the kind of guy who never gives in to the carpet monster- I search until I find the danged missing part! Unless, that is, it's a single rivit or something. Thanks!

This week's installment is a little light, as I've had a lot to do this weekend that's kept me from the bench. In addition to what's shown here I also worked on a lot of little tid-bits that didn't quite get done, so they'll be in the next thrilling episode!

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 03:34 PM UTC
Well, my friends- much has transpired in the last 48 hours- read on! If you dare.... :o

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Chuck!

Ha! Ha! Ha! Excellent the cliffhanger!

How about publishing a comic book of the build when it is finished! Have you already contacted Osprey?

Jean-Luc
f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 08:49 PM UTC
I can't watch. Nay. I must. Lil Chuk might have to call in the Marines this time. Guess you didn't use enough anesthetic on the patient Doc. Hopefully the new engine will calm her down a bit.

-Matt
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 06:32 PM UTC
Ha, ha! Thanks, boys!
It's been a busy weekend! Here in the states we've just had our Memorial Day weekend (really the 30th), in which we celebrate the beginning of summer- and solemnly remember the sacrifices of those who have served our nation.

But, returning to our series, Li' Chuk has rescued Giant Penny Abe from th clutches of the Helldiver with a tantalyzing offer: read on! If you dare!!!

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:07 PM UTC

Last weekend was my wife's birthday, so we took a trip up to Seattle to visit with her brother. My wife is the best ever, and supports me at every turn- nothing's to good for her! A good time was had by all, and I'm back with the latest report this week.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:01 PM UTC
Seems a shame to hide that radial with the cowling. Esp if you have to shave the cylinder heads.
When you are done with this one. Here is a 1:1 scale kit for sale, some parts missing
http://www.aerotrader.net/sb2c.html
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
Great Step-by-step, even if I don“t normally do airplanes, theres still a lot af goodies that can be used on other subjects - entertaining as well !

Cheers/Jan
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC

Excellent stuff, Chuck!

I watch with great interest.

Thanks for posting so many pics and letting us come along for the ride.

Mark
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 02:43 PM UTC
Thanks, gents! JP, that sure is tempting- but my wife would have me out on the street with it in a heartbeat! I'll stick to the small stuff, thank ye very much!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 07:50 PM UTC
Chuck, that is amazing detail - and quite entertaining with the small cartoon figure.

Looks excellent - thanks for sharing your outstanding work in a very entertaining way.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chuck, that is amazing detail - and quite entertaining with the small cartoon figure.

Looks excellent - thanks for sharing your outstanding work in a very entertaining way.

Thanks, Jesper- you're too kind. Glad you're enjoying my slog though the battlefield!

Well, actually I'm calmly sitting before the screen, sipping the grapefruit daiquiri my lovely wife has just handed to me- it's summer! But wait- is that the sound of distant combat I hear? We'd better check in on Lil' Chuk and giant Penny Abe!

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:24 AM UTC
Wow, the entertainment levels and sheer genius of this build continue to soar. My Monday mornings are now slightly more bearable with the latest instalment of Chuck and Abe. I now find myself looking forward to it sunday night, how sad is that!!

Steve
stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
Ok Chuck, this is, without a doubt the best build log I have ever seen! Congrats on an amazing build, and an "interesting" presentation cant wait to see it done. Now excuse me while I crawl back to the other armor slobs. Man that is nuts... just nuts.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 03:40 PM UTC
You guys are great, but I'm running late- I'll just say many thanks to all! I've gotta get this movie screen up before the Major gets here!

f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 06:45 PM UTC
Your patience is astounding. So much work to get just one door partially built. With another one waiting to go. And I really like how well the shading on the anti glare panel turned out. It doesn't look painted on. It just looks...right. Heck even your blog gets subtle yet eye catching detail. Like how some of the text is out of focus in one shot to match the photo. Or does Giant Penny Abe just need glasses? Don't tell him I said so!

-Matt
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
Every installment an education, an inspiration and entertainment too. I needed some curved stock to box in a wheel well and you've shown me how.
Ta ChukW
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Every installment an education, an inspiration and entertainment too. I needed some curved stock to box in a wheel well and you've shown me how.

Indeed, this threat is straight up awesome - entertaining and educational, even to a long time modeller such as myself.

MORE! I WANT MORE!!!!
Broodseinde54
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hey Chuck,

have been following this since conception and I remain amazed by your tenacity and attention to detail that goes beyond the realms of "normal" and "a bit odd", into territory that we as modellers all know is out there (ie, extreme super detailing), but rarely visit to this extent. Namely to protect our sanity...

Not only your skill, but the humour you use in presenting it to the rest of us continues to make this a "must read" each week.

I hope you are getting some gratification from the inspiration and entertainment you are providing folk all over this little globe of ours, none of whom know you personally, but i'm sure feel they know something of you by the personality you inject into your posts.

I'd shout you a beer any day, your work rocks.
cheers,

Matt.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your patience is astounding. So much work to get just one door partially built. With another one waiting to go. And I really like how well the shading on the anti glare panel turned out. It doesn't look painted on. It just looks...right. Heck even your blog gets subtle yet eye catching detail. Like how some of the text is out of focus in one shot to match the photo. Or does Giant Penny Abe just need glasses? Don't tell him I said so!

-Matt

Thanks, Matt- Well, I just love the little details- glad it shows. GP Abe doesn't really need glasses, just a stiff drink!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ta ChukW

This makes my day- so glad I could help- cheers!