World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Helldiver, all out build!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Every installment an education, an inspiration and entertainment too. I needed some curved stock to box in a wheel well and you've shown me how.

Indeed, this threat is straight up awesome - entertaining and educational, even to a long time modeller such as myself.

MORE! I WANT MORE!!!!

Thanks- and here you go!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Chuck,

have been following this since conception and I remain amazed by your tenacity and attention to detail that goes beyond the realms of "normal" and "a bit odd", into territory that we as modellers all know is out there (ie, extreme super detailing), but rarely visit to this extent. Namely to protect our sanity...

Not only your skill, but the humour you use in presenting it to the rest of us continues to make this a "must read" each week.

I hope you are getting some gratification from the inspiration and entertainment you are providing folk all over this little globe of ours, none of whom know you personally, but i'm sure feel they know something of you by the personality you inject into your posts.

I'd shout you a beer any day, your work rocks.
cheers,

Matt.

Well, now my week is made as well- many thanks Matt! In addition to being an attentionwh@re, I really want to promote our hobby. The best way is to teach others just how much fun you have sticking a bunch of odd little bits together to make of model of something cool. It's really nice to know it seems to be working- cheers!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:52 PM UTC
I've had three days to build- and still get some holiday in. I really am just making this up as go along, and still find that sometimes you just need a bigger hammer!

f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:44 PM UTC
It looks like a plane!!!! That was an impressive chapter. A lot of progress and even a trip to the beach. What a combo.

-Matt
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC
Wonderful work Chuck, as ever, and I'm loving every episode.

I have been wondering what markings you are going to be applying to this beauty and wondered whether you might want to try painted on markings? I supply paint masks to order and it would be a great honour for me if you would consider using my masks for this project (see the "Miracle Paint Masks" logo on the side bar) These would be supplied free to you, as, if you were to use them, it would return more in advertising than any amount of dosh for them Absolutely no problem if you have the markings all sussed but send me a PM if you even a little curious.

Keep up this great build
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like a plane!!!! That was an impressive chapter. A lot of progress and even a trip to the beach. What a combo.

-Matt

Many thanks, Matt! It was a great weekend, and the 'Diver sits perfectly balanced on the bench- a nice bonus!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonderful work Chuck, as ever, and I'm loving every episode.

I have been wondering what markings you are going to be applying to this beauty and wondered whether you might want to try painted on markings? I supply paint masks to order and it would be a great honour for me if you would consider using my masks for this project (see the "Miracle Paint Masks" logo on the side bar) These would be supplied free to you, as, if you were to use them, it would return more in advertising than any amount of dosh for them Absolutely no problem if you have the markings all sussed but send me a PM if you even a little curious.

Keep up this great build

Thanks so much, Mal- PM on the way!
stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
it's going to run isn't it? thats the big suprise for the end, I have no doubt you made the engine operable. Great build, cant wait to see the end result, many, many thanks for such a well done blog!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 09:05 AM UTC
This just keeps getting better and better.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen!

Life's been pretty busy- lots of stuff going on here on ChukWorld. Got some hammer-and-saw work done at he bench- here's the scoop on filling the wing roots.

f1matt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 03:11 PM UTC
I like your technique for filling gaps. Wiping away excess filler looks to be a much better option then sanding it off. This technique you use preserves so much more detail. I'm curious as to how well Mr Surfacer takes to scribing lost panel line detail. Does it hold up well or will it chip as I have seen some putties do?

I hope Lil Chuck is feeling better now. Looks like he could use some "medicinal" whiskey.

-Matt
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like your technique for filling gaps. Wiping away excess filler looks to be a much better option then sanding it off. This technique you use preserves so much more detail. I'm curious as to how well Mr Surfacer takes to scribing lost panel line detail. Does it hold up well or will it chip as I have seen some putties do?

I hope Lil Chuck is feeling better now. Looks like he could use some "medicinal" whiskey.

-Matt

Thanks, Matt- not only is it easier than filing and sanding, it's way faster- and the only thing you may have to do is drag a needle through your panel lines to clear the Mr. Surfacer out. As far as rescribing across thicker applications, I usually manage to chip it. Sometimes I can get away with it, but the best solution there is use cya glue as a filler. It's the best to rescribe over, in my humble opinion.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:00 PM UTC
That technique does work great.
jhoog59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 05:55 PM UTC
This is my new Favorite thread
WilliamJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:38 PM UTC
WOW, what a fantastic thread. I have only just discovered it and am blown away. Chuck, your work is amazing, the photography is amazing. Your passion for modelling really shines through and I take my hat off to you. Superb.

As a fan of other guy's benchs, I would like to see more of your Chamber of Models as well.

Kudos my friend and greetings from Melbourne, Australia.

Bill
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Thanks, gents, thanks!

Not to start off with a downer, but due to circumstances beyond the pale of mortal ken, there will be no up date week. In other words, it'll be safe to visit the internet.

Now, before the next thrilling installment- I need some help!! As far as the color scheme goes, it looks like I've painted myself into a corner. Despite what decal sheets may say, almost all the SB2C-4E's I've managed to find so far are overall Glossy Sea Blue. I've had my heart set on a tricolor scheme (better weathering potential!), so if you, bold reader, can help me find that elusive aircraft, - yea, even Eternal Ga-LORY will be yours! You can quickly ID a Helldiver as a -4E by the four-bladed prop with spinner and a lack of Yagi underwing antennae. I'm looking for a Pacific-based, wartime combat veteran of a bird- thanks!

Another little thing that bugs me is that I've seen a modeler or two re-shape the gear doors and re-do the internal ribbing. Any intel there? I've looked and looked, but no cigar as of yet. If you can help this neurotic plastic-hacker on this perplexing matter, my eternal gratitude shall be yours to collect, share with your friends or sell on ebay.

We now rejoin our somewhat brief program already in progress.

glamdring
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
This thread is so truly amazing! Thank you so much for all of the work you are putting into it. It is not only completely entertaining and inspiring, but I learn something from all of your posts. Keep up the unbelievable work!
Allen
Hoss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
We are the students, you are the master! Thanks for sharing. Truly inspiring.
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:07 PM UTC
Chuck -

I think I've learned more in reading this post than in all the so-called "How To" books I've ever read. I think you should consider sending this string of posts to a publisher. You could title it "All You Ever Need To Know About Building Model Airplanes".

Truely, an influential, major work!!

Steve
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:22 PM UTC
Chuck, I don't know what kind of drugs you use but I want some...

Absolutely stunning work!
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 01:18 AM UTC

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!

Mark
deepstriker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 162 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chuck -

I think I've learned more in reading this post than in all the so-called "How To" books I've ever read. I think you should consider sending this string of posts to a publisher. You could title it "All You Ever Need To Know About Building Model Airplanes".

I really couldn't say it better! Thanks a lot!!
ric
CrewChief16
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Khania, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 07:07 AM UTC
Holy mama
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:10 PM UTC
WOOOWWWW!!!! All I can say is: TEACH ME MASTER!!!

Great topic and aboslutely devastating build...I am truly much wiser now!

Thanks for sharing mate!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 01:41 AM UTC
My "o" My , what wonderful craftmens ship on this build . you are truly the master of detail .
Cheers