Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW GB 2009 - 10 LVG C.VI Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
Carl,

I haven't heard of the textured decals. Can you tell me where to look for them?

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
I'm in Heaven , I'm in Heaven .......Thanks Mark ..The build so far is fantastic and shaping up nicely

Mark the decals on which Carl is referring to are by Micro Sculpt . Check out his web site ....www.microsculpt . com He has lozenge in 48 scale in 4 and 5 colour upper and lower for each . Stephen is doing a review of the Fokker DR.1 streaked camo which should be available very soon . I have a set of the texture and Carl is right on the money ... They are fantastic ! Stephen has his work posted on the site of a few builds , I have my build of the stripe one I did awhile back on there as well . Not sure if the texture will suit the 32 scale , but it sure would add to the contrast on the lozenge .
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Exactly. They make the lozenge look like cloth.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC

Thanks Carl and Terri. I think I'll use the textured decals on my next build, they look great. Here are the wings. A decaling extravaganza.

Bottom

more very soon,

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I got the center wing radiator mounted and added support wires and other "goodies".

Mark
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 04:37 AM UTC

Now it's up on it's knees...........................

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
Can I have it when you are done ?

Very well done so far Mark . Are you planning on adding the rest of the engines parts ? Did you leave these off to aid in the center wing rigging easier ?
Looking forward to when the wings get attached and the rigging !
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hi Terri,

Yes, you're right. There are only 2 more parts to put on the engine. A pipe to the radiator on the back of the engine and a small pipe in front of the engine that goes into the hole you see at the front of the cylinders. I left them off so I didn't break or lose them while fitting the engine and fiddling with the center wing section. I'm hoping to have the cowling and wheels on tonight after work.

Mark
Rogga
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
Realy great work Mark , most inspiering to se all this nice pictures , can´t wait to the day when i can start witn mine.
Looking foreward to coming progress.

guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 03:04 PM UTC

Thanks for the comments Terri and Roger. I'm having fun with the build. I've attached the rest of the engine parts and cowling. I have some weathering and touch ups here and there left to do.

more tomorrow,

Mark
tachikawa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Mark-
Have started the same kit, but way behind you. Was wondering on the lozenge decals. Did you put them on the 'bare' plastic?

Glenn
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
Glenn,

I'll be glad to help you any way I can. As far as the lozenge goes.....I just coated the wings with Future then decaled them. You could paint the wings. The color you paint them won't show through the lozenge.

The decals lay down well but I wouldn't try to mask the decals after you put them on. They could lift up very easily. Paint the underwing gas tank and underwing access panels before you decal. That will save you some trouble.

There is just enough lozenge to do the kit so plan well. Measure twice, cut once. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
Glenn, I'm building this kit too, I was ahead of Mark but he has left me standing, I agree with what he says about the decaling but they are quite fragile as I have found. I've stalled putting the ribtaping on though.

Mark she is looking very sweet indeed, I love the wood, this kit really lends itself to it. Does your build include the wrap around cowling for the cylinders?

you can pass pointers down to me too now
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC

Thanks, Keith. I'm looking forward to seeing your builds finished. I know I keep going on and on about it but I really like that wrinked fabric on your SE5a. The version I'm building doesn't use the wrap around winter cowling. I think if I was building an OOB of one of the other versions with the winter cowling I would probably leave it off or to the side so you could still see at least some of the interior of the engine.

The decaling can be a marathon. I broke mine up into several sessions so I could keep focused. After I finished a top or bottom I would "Future" it (especially along the leading and trailing edges) to keep the decals down so they wouldn't chip or lift up while I was handling the wings for other decals. One more panel of decals of the lower and upper lozenge would have been nice to have for "screw ups".

Mark
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 02:04 AM UTC
Mark,

I'll start a new thread with a few shots of mine, I didnt post at the same time as you.

I had enuff attention with the SE5a build but theres a few shots in the *stripes in the skies* Campain by run by the overenergetic Terri.... wish I had half her get up and go

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the over-energetic Terri.... wish I had half her get up and go

Well of course I do , I change my batteries every few days , nothing like having the bunny inside to get energized !!!

The build is coming along fantastic Mark . Nice to have the detail in the engine bay showing . Even though you planned to build her out of box , some wiring would have greatly benefit the surrounding details . Yes , Yes , I know I'm whining but it's all the build up energy !
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:28 PM UTC
Terri,

Keith is right, I wish I had your ability and energy to post. I'm sorry to disappoint you on the wiring. I admit it is hard to hold back to the OOB standard. I promise I'll make it up to you on the next build.

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
Oh God no Mark , you did not disappoint on any level . Always enjoy your builds , but I still waiting on the M-5 and then there is still the bomber as well not to mention the J-1 . Boy talk about keeping a blond in suspense

Yeah , I like to talk !
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
I am just about ready to put everything in a box to clear up the desk top, so I can start on this one also. Your build is fantastic.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
Any new up-date pic's there Mark .
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC

Carl,

I can't wait to see your build. Have you decided on a profile yet? You'll have a lot of fun.

Terri,

You've asked and you've received..........................

Mostly I've been putting on/painting smaller parts. Here's the wing with atachment points for the rigging..................

.............And I got her up on her feet and added parts for the gun ring, flare rack.....................

Next.........on to the wings.............

Mark
goldenarrow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
hi Mark
Your build turns out to become a real beauty. Through the hands of an artist like you the superb kits will become absolute masterpieces even if built oob.
You make me little jealous with your progress. Sometimes I wish I could model with that success and speed. Mine need years to become ready.
I love every pic of your post and it is so much encourageing watching yor build.
regards Peter
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thanks for looking after my fix Mark ! I just love that wood grain , yup I saying it again ........

Nice weathering on the wheel hubs and the texturing on the lozenge is more clear now in this set of pic's and WOW that is cool . I will have to get a set of the lozenge decals for the Roden kit of the Pfalz D.III in 32 scale ( Will be my own markings )

This has been a really joy watching the build progress so far

Looking forward to those wings !!!!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 07:27 PM UTC
Well sweet.....beautiful work Mark, she is coming together wonderfully.

Keith
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC

Thanks Peter, Terri and Keith, I appreciate the comments and encouragement.

Here's a little more progress. I've toned the lower lozenge down just a little with Tamiya "Smoke" on the lower wing. Here it is in comparison to the lower upper wing.......................

I've run into the first problem in the build and probably of my own making. The lower wing insert point is partially blocked by the bottom of the firewall.

I cut the part that goes into the hole to a slight point....................

......and I was able to slide it right in. So that might be something all of you building the kit out there might want to watch for.

And here is the rigging for the undercarriage..................

You don't really realize how big it is until the wings are on.

Mark