Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Aluminium Campaign
Ruffus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Guatemala
KitMaker: 343 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There’s lots of “not accounted for” parts, these hints of things to come, an F-100E is already on the list, an F-100F two-seater (Wild Weasel?) is probably another.

Wild Weasel? so I am wasting my time on this?

1/48

well, I just got this C&H convertion kits on the F-100F and the F-106B. will do both anyway. they where on sale and besides, is good practice.

Let's do some plastic (and resin too)

Byron

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal6/5701-5800/gal5731_F-100_Doll/00.shtm

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 10:16 AM UTC

Hey Damian! You've been following my other thread about this build, but I thought I'd post a pic here and announce that I'm finished...

Soooo, where's my ribbon????

But seriously, I'm pretty stoked to have completed my first campaign, having a deadline kept me motivated!

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Final stretch, guys! Only detailing left!

First the clear parts. Most of the clear parts were actually too big to fit the model, as for this hole on the vertical stabilizer.

It proved way too fidelly to file down the very small clear parts or to expand the holes, so I tried a different approach. I took some Humbrol ClearFix and mixed it up with Tamiya clear red in a medical syringe, and... by gosh, it worked!

For the lights on the wings, I did the same thing with clear blue.

On to the missiles! I wanted to get this build finalized in time for a ribbon, so I didn't worry to much about combining the Matra 530 with the AIM-9D's (albeit that it might be historically questionable). This is the combo that what Eduard provided in the box, and who am I to question their choice?:

I decided to remove the rather thick fins on the missiles, and replaced them with Eduard PE (all 46 parts!). It took a lot of patience:

I then splashed on some paint and applied the Eduard decals:

And finally I applied the missiles to the belly of the Mirage, where nobody will ever see them again! :

Soon to be closed up!?

Well no, I'm actually going to keep the canopy open for this one! Many thanks to SBS Models (and Eduard) for all the fun hours working on this cockpit!

No I'm sitting here with only five more parts and some minor touch-ups to go... Hopefully, I'll beat the deadline!

Cheers! // PolarBear
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
Ray, very well done on the P-51, you are noted now as finished. Thanks for joining up and supporting this build,

Sully (Bjorn), I think I'll just note you now as finished. Your Mirage looks superb ! Once again thanks for your support, it's been great watching your progress with this build.

Well, only a few days left for us here, who's going to scrape in at the finish line ???

Cheers, D
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sully (Bjorn), I think I'll just note you now as finished. Your Mirage looks superb ! Once again thanks for your support, it's been great watching your progress with this build.

Wait for it.... wait for it...

Cheers // PolarBear
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:03 PM UTC
Elle est prête. Elle est belle...

Eduard's Mirage IIICJ in 1/48 (for those who accidentaly have not seen my previous posts). Details from S.B.S. Models, Eduard and IsraDecals. Mainly Alclad II Airframe Aluminium. And a lot of woriking hours...

A wonderful challenge and a fun build. My first - but definitely not last - in the 1/48 scale.
I've treated myself to a well-deserved whiskey. Tomorrow, I'll start my next project!
Thanks for a great campaign! Shine on!!!!

Cheers! // PolarBear
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:04 PM UTC
Very, very, VERY nice job on the Mirage III C Jew ...

have one started and another in the stash .. I must build one as this is really a good looking aircraft .. if there were not all those other projects

Björn your model is inspirational .. great job!!!

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
Awesome job Bjorn, well worth the time spent !

Once again thanks for sharing with us, it's been a treat watching you work.

Cheers, D
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
Here is my FINISHED entry Ladies & Gents

I'd like to thank everyone who comment in my model, escpecialy Mr. Damian Who encouraged me

So, here is the finished model:

And a Surprise!!!!!

:-H

Cheers Nick
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is my FINISHED entry Ladies & Gents

I'd like to thank everyone who comment in my model, escpecialy Mr. Damian Who encouraged me

Excellent result Nick. It has been great to watch your work on this kit, and to see the progress to a really nice end result. Your comments have been helpful along the way as well.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and for supporting the Campaign.

Cheers, D
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thank you very much Mr. Damian

I have heard something about an Alluminium Portfolio.

I'm IN

Cheers Nick
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
Great builds guys.
@Bjorn wow stunning build congrats.I might try alclad on up coming P-51 campaign.
@nick very interesting subject first time ive seen one good job.

Build On,
Justin
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
Nick- That came out absolutely fantastic!
Bjorn- Awesome Mirage and mind bending realism in that scale!
Both of the builds have the most realistic aluminum finishes( the A 26 Invader also). Great job guys!
I am not worthy!
Rick
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi all!

@Björn, det där är skitsnyggt, en superb Mirage!
Can´t believe how you can make sutch a fine finish!

@Nick, That´s a very nice Meteor in a quite unusual livery (Belgium, right?)
Well done!

Time for an update on my F-100 again!

I have continued with my build, and I happily glued the HUD in place, and painted it matt black.

BUT, did you notice that the edges of the HUD were a bit high?

I didn’t, and the result was this;

The HUD is a fraction too high, not much but enough to displace the front screen and throws it completely out of alignment.
Add to this that the front screen is a bit too wide for the edges.
I took a sharp scalpel and shaved off some of the excess plastic, and repainted the part with black.
But I do recommend that anybody reading this, and building the kit to sand down the underside of the HUD.
Much easier, and remember, the edges on the HUD must be LEVEL with the edges!

I assembled the slats, flaps and ailerons to the wings.

Nothing but a perfect fit!
Flaps and ailerons fitted perfectly as is, but if you want the flaps in the “down” position, you have to cut off the small tabs on the flaps.

As on a P-51 Mustang the hydraulic power “bleeds off” as soon as the enginge is shut off.
This means that everything “falls out” (Flaps, airbrake) after a couple of hours when the aircraft is parked.
The slats should be out on a parked aircraft and this is correctly depicted.

The canopy comes in two parts, extremely clear and free from scratches and blemishes, and it’s very thin, so handle it carefully!
No moulding seam on this one, as Trumpeter already has taken care of that!
Thanks, Trumpy!

I used a yellow tape of Tamiya-type (kabuki) and a sharp scalpel to make my own masks.
Easy, and soon the canopy was done and masked!

I used a Resin seat from Avionix (former Black Box)
I painted the seat interior grey, with a leather brown cushion and the headrest red.
When dry, I gave it a silver dry-brushing, and finally, a black wash to bring out details.
The last thing was to glue the seat into the aircraft with some CA.

When the glue had set, I glued the windscreen in place with some White Glue
(PVA).
As the PVA dries, it becomes clear, I reinforced the seam with a little CA-glue, carefully applied from the outside.

I did the same way on the canopy, but as I will be able to remove it (if the need ever arises), I did not use any CA here.

The nose gear was a piece of cake to assemble.

Main gears were just as easy to assemble and mount.
The fit was excellent (almost sounds too good, I know!), as most parts of this kit.

That´s all Folks!

Cheers!

Stefan
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thank you very much to all of you

@Mr. Stefan: Yes, It's a Belgian Aircraft

Cheers Nick
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC
Well, I only started it last week after a long lay off due to real life intruding, but here is my 'get back into the swing of things' Kinetic F-86F-30 Sabre. Straight out of the box. Tamiya flat aluminium then chrome silver. For some reason my Tamiya Flat Aluminium has very large metallic flecks and needed another coat of colour to help tone the flecks down.

Only other problem was that the canopy did not fit with the two under-canopy detail parts in place, so the one on the fuselage had to lose a bit of detail.. But you can't see it anyway so not a problem.

Other than that a pretty uneventful build.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I only started it last week after a long lay off due to real life intruding, but here is my 'get back into the swing of things' Kinetic F-86F-30 Sabre.

Warren, that's the spirit. Start an 8 month Campaign on the second last day.
Mate, real life > modelling, we can't escape that. I'm just glad you've been able to join us and I can't wait to see the results of your speed build. Don't waste a second taking progress pics, just throw that dog together.

Cheers, D
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
well, my build hit a major hiccup a couple days ago. It was on-track to finish in time till i laid down a coat of the gloss black offered by Alclad.

Don't know what i did wrong - but apparently you HAVE to use their primer or something - the gloss black started flaking off pretty much immediately after drying.

So i've had to basically strip the model (GRRR!!!! ) and start over with the paint job.

that puts me at least a week behind schedule.

so unless the (obviously very kind and generous) campaign leader offers an extension, i won't be finishing my redition of "hoo flung dung" in time for the april 30 deadline.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi all!

@Vanice, Bad luck there, Buddy!
But I´m sure they could get an extension, a week or two so all can get their builds done.

Btw, here´s mine;

Hey-dum, Hey-dum, Off to the paint booth we go!

I started with the “burnt off” part of the rear fuselage that’s so characteristic for the ´Hun.

First I applied a layer of Alclad “Aluminium”, followed by Alclad “Pale Burnt metal” and then “Jet Exhaust and finally a touch of clear blue (mixed with JE), to get that “burnt paint” feeling!

This is what I ended up with;

I masked off the rear part of the fuselage and then I used, Not Alclad, but Tamiya TS-12 Silver from a rattle-can.
I wanted the fuselage to look like it was painted with silver aluminium, and the Tamiya can worked perfectly!

Next day I removed the masking;

I had it all so well planned, it was Laven´s aircraft I would do, but I’m a sucker for yellow aircrafts, and the Iowa National Air guard scheme grew on me, and I decided to do that instead!

I started with the decaling right away.
I have to confess, up until now I have always disliked Trumpeter’s decals.
But these are a different matter!

Well printed, opaque without being too thick, perfectly in register and very strong and easy to use!

She´s as good as done by now, only some small touch-ups and a few minor parts still to add.

She’s looking really good with all those Yellow markings against the many different silver and metal shades!

That’s all for now!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC
Good finish excellant work on the burnt paint it came out really well

Build On,
Justin
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so unless the (obviously very kind and generous) campaign leader offers an extension, i won't be finishing my redition of "hoo flung dung" in time for the april 30 deadline.

Hey Vance, bad luck with the Alclad thing, I'm sure you will pull it together. Since this is my first Campaign as leader, I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm sure that a ribbon might slip through to some latecomers. Just don't tell anybody, ok ??

Stefan, AWESOME work mate, looking really good !!

Cheers, D
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi all!

Today I added the wheels, and removed the masks, and did little touch-ups, and now I can say she’s FINISHED!

Of course, I’ll add the tanks and some weaponry later, but I don’t have the time right now.
So, the Hun will manage without any “teethes” for now!

I took her outside to get better lighting and here are the pics;

So, now I can say that she’s finished, and well within the timeframe too!

This was a very enjoyable build from start to finish!

Cheers!

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, I only started it last week after a long lay off due to real life intruding, but here is my 'get back into the swing of things' Kinetic F-86F-30 Sabre.

Warren, that's the spirit. Start an 8 month Campaign on the second last day.
Mate, real life > modelling, we can't escape that. I'm just glad you've been able to join us and I can't wait to see the results of your speed build. Don't waste a second taking progress pics, just throw that dog together.

Cheers, D

Piccy is in the campaign folder for anyone interested. I did the same speed-build thing with a reconnaisance version of the Mirage III a few months ago for another campaign. It focuses the mind..
JMartine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Vance – Looks good. The Testors’ old P51D has canyons for “recessed” panels (would scale out to several inches wide). Your Mr Surfacer technique would work… did you use 500? I have 1000, which is too fine?

Stefan – great start and IP; I have to get myself some Mike grant decals!

Ray – congrats on the finish, love P51s : )

Bjorn – beautiful Mirage. Love the clear part/syringe technique! Will try it in the future for sure. I picked up a 1:48 HobbyBoss Mirage on sale ( think it’s the IIIC/J version). Do you know how they compare to the Eduard offering?

Nick – nice job; congrats on the finish!

Steffan – great SSabre, amazing job on the metallic finish.

Damian – I had to bin mine Had some minor surgery (me not the kit!), I am ok, but dont have the time. The old testor's P51 is simply a bad kit. I started to dress up the pit a bit, and would have had to fill in the very wide panel lines. Just not worth the effort at the momment... sorry mate, will use my time on catchin up with the other GBs. I enjoyed the campaign, learned a lot, some good techniques and finishes in here!

cheers
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick – nice job; congrats on the finish!

Thank you very much Mr. James

Cheers Nick