Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Albatros D.II Kornbeef
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
Great!
Always enjoy and learn a lot from that massive chunk of ancient oak.
Cheers,
Lance
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
You missed a spot ! hehehehee.........

Very nicely done on the paint scheme and weathering so far Keith !

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 07:36 PM UTC
Yeah Thanks Terri, and everyone.

Well I have been tinkering away, a little two steps forwards one step back kind of pace though.
Got the maxims in with a bit of effort, detailed up the engine a tad and got the wins strutted up ready for fitting. Now got to sit and make turnbuckles to prerig her before fitting the wing.

Pix

fuel oil and airpump lines fitted, maxims snug and the rear support fixed again.
Windscreen to fit (WNW spare) coolant pipes to make, looking as pix it seems the OAW DII or at least some had the pipe running from the engine to rad on the left, I'm going to fabricate this... a little variant from the usual route.

2 shots with the top wing loitering, its not set right yet, a tad high but this method seems quite straightforward..though I'm worried the white metal struts may buckle once assembled (havent heard of it happening so probably worrying over nowt..
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Lovely work Keith – I like the extra detailing around the engine area, it gives it that nice and busy look that I like

Questions on the struts... Looking at the Osprey profiles on the DIIs I'm guessing the top wing sits quite a bit lower, compared with the DI and the DIII?

Are the location holes for the cabane struts still in the same place on the top wing – and are cabanes the same as on the DIII?

Also – how long are the interplane struts in mm?

Only asking as I'm thinking about converting a Roden DI into a DII... (Saving my pennies for the coming WNW releases – so Can't really afford the Encore package – but might be able to pick up a DI on the cheap side at some point)

Best Regards

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely work Keith – I like the extra detailing around the engine area, it gives it that nice and busy look that I like

Questions on the struts... Looking at the Osprey profiles on the DIIs I'm guessing the top wing sits quite a bit lower, compared with the DI and the DIII?

Are the location holes for the cabane struts still in the same place on the top wing – and are cabanes the same as on the DIII?

Also – how long are the interplane struts in mm?

Only asking as I'm thinking about converting a Roden DI into a DII... (Saving my pennies for the coming WNW releases – so Can't really afford the Encore package – but might be able to pick up a DI on the cheap side at some point)

Best Regards

Mikael

Hi Mikael TY

Yes the wing is considerably lower, gives her a much more purposeful mean look I think. One day I may build a *what if* imagining if Albatros had not gone for the DIII/V wing arrangement and opted to keep the rugged look of the DII.

No you have to add new location points in the top wing, & the bolts to the upper surface too spread 1-1/8th" (23.5mm?) from center in line with the interplane strut mountings.

Yes it utilises the DIII cabanes though the upper mountings are far from good spread at such an angle, rather femer to start drilling through too. If I were skilled and patient I'd make brass replacements out of rod and tube, the lower mountings are not great either but supported fine by the etch mountings (allows a little flex to fit too.)

Interplane struts are @44-45mm long tip to tip 41.5 mm long between mounting stubs (where stub mounting widens into strut proper) The gap between the wings measured perpendicular, not strut lenght is 26mm at 1/48th so is 39mm at 1/32????

So apart from the resin engine, the extra etch and the cartograph decals (which I never used) its the same kit. (plus Boelke of course) still good value all considered but not absolutely needed to build a fair DII. I caused my self a lot more work turning her into an OAW built example

hope that helps and doesnt confuse you more

K
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Keith  

– and a big Thank You, Yes this answers my queeries and more (quickly copying and pasting your reply in one of my "future projects" folders), This really gives me a good starting point for converting a DI.

I do now that the package is a pretty sweet one with many nice extras that does justify a higher price – But I just had a look over at Hannants, and they have the Encore kit for £71, which with postage and so on comes to about £85? For that money I could get two WNW single seaters to my door (not counting any possible VAT/Customs fee of course).

Not griping – just simple maths . If I could afford both I'd go for it in a heartbeat though – and your build has wetted my apetite for the DII for certain – I agree it looks a lot more "butch" than the DI and DIII!

T Y again

Mikael

P.S. Oh – do do a "what If" Albie – please
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC
Keith,
The sage old oak stump has spoken again! I have this kit sitting on a bookshelf in my cave and, on viewing this latest update first thing this morning, opened the box and "caressed the sprues" at length. I'll be using this thread to guide me through that project extensively however have promised myself a WNW build next if only to travel a smoother road as I ease back to hopefully improved results after too long an absence from the hobby.
I am looking forward to your approach to the rigging and know there'll be some neat little tricks I can glean from your next efforts. Today is quite unpleasant here, cold and raining which is just wonderful; forced to spend the day inside at the work desk and get moving along on my project and get another update submitted. Damn!
Lovely bird and again the extras, notably the engine and fastener details, are a tribute to your considerable skills. Well done Sir!

Cheers,
Lance
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 02:55 AM UTC
Keith , this is turning out to be your best build yet ! Stunning work my friend
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri, from you it's high praise.

One minor issue though, buildings slow, I'm spending far too long flying one in Rise of Flight than building her.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

One minor issue though, buildings slow, I'm spending far too long flying one in Rise of Flight than building her.

Playing video games are ya !

Still will be here waiting for your next up-date !
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Playing video games are ya !

Still will be here waiting for your next up-date !

Gaming. Thank God I didn't get that itch too. I'd really never leave the house.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 07:40 PM UTC
Update with no pics

Doing the prerigging prior to top wing installation between bouts of blasting FE's out the skies of France and prepping my WNW flying surfaces for the loz decalling for my Mongrel DIII (OAW) & dealing with lifes other little things too of course.

K
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC
You lead a very interesting and exciting life Keith  – Im mostly scanning the job ads and moving the lawn, myself – its a dull life (Oh but I do fondle the plastic sprues at night thinking wild thoghts of conversion and dioramas )

Looking forward to pics as it develops

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Yes I wish Mikael.

Currently though having a bit of an issue fitting the top wing, either the interplane struts are a tad long or the cabanes are short, currently contemplating the best way around, thank fully a few spare cabanes to experiment with.

Not so clever me fixed the interplane struts first, the upper wing looks a little high but I'm not sure... ho hum

K
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hmmm......... Cabanes too short or interplanes too long; why does this sound familiar to me?!
Hope your fix is as quick and effective as mine turned out to be; in the end was the dihedral on the lower wing that was inducing most of my problem with the DIII. Your pics seem to indicate that isn't the case with yours.
Looking forward to how you solve this problem Keith as I have the kit and may run into the same wall.

Cheers,
Lance
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC
Lance, the fix is underway, I managed to pry the top wing free, only snapped off one interplane mounting point. Going to drill them out and add rod and check their length several times.
The cabanes I drilled out the ends and the upper wing mountings, will add thin brass rod to lengthen them, drilling holes through the fuselage behind the PE mounting bracket which will actually make it look a little truer to scale & give me a bit of adjustment. So tomorrow all parts should be ready to reassemble. Xs fingers
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
Glad you got a fix underway so fast. I had to move the rear cabane mounts aft on the DIII as well but they are of course "N"Struts; different then yours. As I said prior, their subjects are wonderful; the kits do require a little more effort though for sure. I just very foolishly answered the telephone and have been asked to work the next two days.....another extension of the completion date!
Looking forward to your wrap up of this one.

Cheers,
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes I wish Mikael.

Currently though having a bit of an issue fitting the top wing, either the interplane struts are a tad long or the cabanes are short, currently contemplating the best way around, thank fully a few spare cabanes to experiment with.

Not so clever me fixed the interplane struts first, the upper wing looks a little high but I'm not sure... ho hum

K

Mmmm  – I'm always debating with myself when it comes to the struts – do the cabanes first or the interplane? On the Roden D.III kits I've always done the interplanes first – but on other builds its usually the cabanes. Though, whichever the sequence of operation, I usually end up with one problem or other, not forseen.

Glad to hear that you've seemed to have solved the problem though...

Mikael
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
It seems my name is always closely associated with Albatri around here, so I guess I need to make a few comments. Your build looks absolutely fantastic. I think your colors are spot on. I have to say you are going to have another show piece in this build. Keep the pictures coming.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
Glad to hear the wings problems are getting sorted out and looking forward to some photos.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad you got a fix underway so fast. I had to move the rear cabane mounts aft on the DIII as well but they are of course "N"Struts; different then yours. As I said prior, their subjects are wonderful; the kits do require a little more effort though for sure. I just very foolishly answered the telephone and have been asked to work the next two days.....another extension of the completion date!
Looking forward to your wrap up of this one.

Cheers,
Lance

Keith,
Don't know what I was thinking with the comment on "N" struts earlier this week, (Maybe had a blond moment and pictured your DII as a DI) I had a "flashback"of this as I was sipping my second cup of coffee this A.M. and had to set the record straight lest you think I'm a complete dunderhead. Thanks for politely letting it go by....
I'm claiming the stress of the "wing thing" made me irrational and illogical!

Lance
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
Apologies on no recent updates, I hit a snag with the cabanes, I need to remake some using brass, I'm no expert with brass, kinda daunting. Lifes been sort of busy, plenty of distractions from the bench good and bad., Such is life. So the DII is in limbo till I get inspired, a new purchase arrived and I'll post progress on that soon.

TTFN
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Update with no pics

That's not even allowed... is it?
67foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Keith,

Hope your doing well. And really wish you could pick up this thread and build those cabanes.

I wish I could think of something to inspire you. This build has been so great in so many, many ways. I know that with your skills, you can redo those cabanes. I mean just look at that set of prop covers you made. And all that interior, I mean geez I have been blown away by how much of this you have nailed!!!

I mean, you may be nuts, but you are sooo talented.

Wishing you the best,
Your student,
Dave

ps. I've sent you a PM.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:50 PM UTC
Considers my bum kicked

I've made half hearted attempts at the cabanes and given up far too easily. My heads been elsewhere (lured away by other things and lifes little issues) but must try harder.

Cheers for the imspiration Dave

Keith