_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2011 Albatros D.II Kornbeef
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

Always a bit nervous about showing.

Yes I think the coamings a bit dark, I'll revisit that as I add the finishing touchs.

Lance the coaming paddings simply thin strip and half round plastic rod cyano'd shaped and sanded with a smidge of filler here and there.

I've enjoyed this build so much I've ordered another from Squadron....along with the F1 at $19.99 who wouldnt (if it arrives in time and I find *scrounges* a different motor I was thinking of building it for the *what if* campain.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:06 PM UTC
Keith – Congratulations on finishing

She is looking very fine indeed, and I see you're getting to be an expert on turnbuckle rigging. You've really inspired me to do a DII myself, and I have a DI now safely tucked away in my stash. Thanks for tips and measures during your build

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith – Congratulations on finishing

She is looking very fine indeed, and I see you're getting to be an expert on turnbuckle rigging. You've really inspired me to do a DII myself, and I have a DI now safely tucked away in my stash. Thanks for tips and measures during your build

Mikael

Grab one from Squadron $19.99 its insanity not to. I might be building the next dII as a What if!
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 09:30 PM UTC
Keith – was thinking about that actually – how much was the postage to the UK?

(I'm not sure if I've calculated it right, but it seems to be $40 to Europe ??? )

Thanks Mikael

P.S. A what if DII sounds like a great idea
67foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
WOW Keith!

She is looking very, very nice indeed.

Your hard work has really brought this one to life. All of the OAW and other details make this one stand out from all the other Albatros out there.

This has been a wonderful build to watch along and learn from. With your scratch building the interior framework to the alternate rout for the radiator piping and those great propeller bags - a masterpiece.

Can't wait to see her finished (hopefully in some sunshine) sitting out on your iconic garden stump.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Dave
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 06:48 PM UTC
Thanks Dave.

Mikael, I'm still waiting to find out the shipping cost. when I do I'll post it.

TY guys K
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 08:08 AM UTC
Just a few pics of the finished (if I ever finish) DII waiting for decent weather to snap some outdoor stumpographs for the group build file.

I really enjoyed researching those little differences between the different manufacturors and differences with other marks of Albatros D series planes.

Happy Xmas all

Keith
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
Quite a stunner Keith: You did an outstanding job on it. It looks like you toned down the cockpit combing a bit as it looks less red.

Take care

Mark
 _GOTOTOP