Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: What If? Campaign Thread
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
the Rotodyne is a kit I have been wanting to try myself, but i already have way too many kits as it is, so I'm putting it the someday (soon hopefully!) category. I like using styrene shims yo fill gaps, are you going that route or putty?

Nuclear indeed, I wanted to do the "anti flash" underside. The white was a primer for the topside camo scheme. hope to have more pics of that soon.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
All over white with pink markings would have been interesting to see, but maybe a little too similar to the markings of the V-Bombers. How much did you pay for it? Its not often I see the old 80's concept Stealths about in shops, with the possibel exception of Italeri's Stealth MiG.

I'll be using Miliput to fill all the gaps. There are some complex curves so It'l be easy to sculpt in while still soft and then sand back when its hardened.
Despite the odd scale, fit issues and filling I've encountered so far, it is still superior to the later Airfix kit. I've never heard anything good about that one. Very basic and covered in oversized rivets from what I've heard. Its also long OOP and highly sort after by collectors pushing its price up.
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 02:28 AM UTC

Brown on and masked. I was going to do a splinter pattern then thought of a better idea.

I want to say around $20 US. I had it forever and its a huge model so I thought "you know I really like the B-2, I should sell this and get one of those" And then I couldn't sell it I Ebayed it and dropped the price constantly. At one point I had it for $10 with free shipping! Naturally no one bought it so I ust decided to build it. took a look at Ebay the other day and one was going for $40!!

I will be avoiding the Airfix kit then!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Taidan, I had forgotten about these old concept stealth plane kits too. I'm glad yours was destined not to sell on E-bay, because this is the perfect campaign for it! In Japanese markings even better! Can't wait to see the camo after the masking is removed.
Cheers!
Sean H.
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
I'll be starting my AMtech 1/48 Ta-183 soon

I need to finish that pesky F4U-1A first

Cheers

Paul
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 04:32 PM UTC
Just scrolling through all the posts here and I am impressed with the creativity. I am currently working on a few builds, thus I drew out the HUMA Fw Triebflugel. It has progressed a tad farther than shown here. It has now been glued together, looks like a suppository.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi guys/gals! I just wanted to say great progress guys/gals! I myself haven't got the ribbon which I assume is because of there not being a pic of my completed build in the gallery? I've been trying to upload pics but the server is still .... contrary. I'll keep trying but bear with me! Good luck to you all!
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 08:28 PM UTC
Air Marshall Islands' Grumman Greyhound is all together now.

still alot of fairing to do before painting.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys/gals! I just wanted to say great progress guys/gals! I myself haven't got the ribbon which I assume is because of there not being a pic of my completed build in the gallery? I've been trying to upload pics but the server is still .... contrary. I'll keep trying but bear with me! Good luck to you all!

Chris, be patient. The ribbons are awarded to all participants at the official conclusion of the campaign (1st of March for this one). For your part, you have until then to get that photo up in the campaign gallery. No hurry yet.
Paul, enjoy that "pesky F4U-1A". Still one and a half months in this campaign.
Trevor, that's quite an odd subject. Did a prototype ever make it to the launching pad? They sure were willing to try a lot of weird stuff!
Jonathan, you've come a long way! It does look like a Greyhound now.
Cheers!
-Sean H.
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 02:30 AM UTC
I am very thankful for the campaign end date! I thought it might be Feb 1 which got me a tad concerned. My schedule at work is pretty consistent -Im there all the time!

Thanks for the comments Sean! I think it has a perfect WWII look on account of it being so darn rounded all over!

Love this greyhound! Cant believe hot tiny it is!

The treibfuegle looks prerry straightforward, how is the kit?
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC
The project started by FW engineer Prof. Otto Pabst which was based upon Dr. V. Holst's concept. It never did make it past the paper stage. Lockheed's XFV-1 and Convair's XFY-1 built something similar. Being a pilot trying to land the thing one would have to be a yoga expert.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 08:25 AM UTC
Uhmmmm it would appear that I've jumped the gun so to speak. I do have pics in the gallery and I got the end dates confused with another campaign my apologies to the hosts ..... boy is my face red!
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC

Strangely enough Black, which is normally a forgivale color wasn't working with my airbrush. So I decided to spray paint it, then go over it later with the Airbrush to keep the weathered look consistant. Tamiya Nato Black was a perfect match so I lightened it with a couple white drops. This picture shows it really well!

Big wad of masking tape!

Inspiration.^ As I look it appears I missed a spot I should have painted black! Err! (between to the two finger like patterns in the center) Too late to change it now.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC
I wouldn't worry about that, its looks pretty cool as is!
Did a bit more work on the rotodyne tonight. Hoping to get some progress pics up tomorow.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 06:21 PM UTC
The Traveller visits again.

This one's on final approach. I have the rigging and wheel covers to go on, and then it's done. I'm not as happy as I could be about the finish; I let the paint run in places, and didn't get enough on in other places, beneath the tail surfaces for example. It'll be a good "3 footer" to sit in the back of the display caibinet.
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
Nice I only build three footers!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
Jessie the Traveler looks great! Is it RAF or RCAF?

Latest update on the Rotodyne. I've decided to go with the military name of Tempest HC.1, if ony as a means to differentiate it from civvy Roto's in my alternate history.
Cockpit is now done and assembled. The rear cabin is painted Tamiya matt dark grey but it looks very blue in pics. Just gave this a light weathering with aluminium. I'll be doing the fronT cabin door open as it refuses to fit shut! I cut ofF the rear 3 quarters of the cabin roof. Its bent about half way and I'll only be able to see part of it through the door. I painted the lights red (silver first then clear red over the top) to make it look like the red lights you usually see inside military choppers. I'm making no claims to accuracy here! Not much will be visible when its closed up, just want an impression that there is something inside.

Next thing to do was tackling the HUGE gaps on the wing to engine joints.

The engine cowling just needed a little squadron filler to blend that in, but I used Milliput for the bigger gaps. I blended it all in with a damp cocktail stick and then gave it a quick wipe with a wet rag. Might need a light sanding tomorrow after its hardened but it looks ok. Probably should use the old green-yellow stuff a lot more than I do from now.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie the Traveler looks great! Is it RAF or RCAF?

It's RCAF: What if the Commandant of the BCATP needed a spiffy airplane to fly round in?
architect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 07:06 PM UTC
Here's a bit of my slowwwww progress on the Ta-183, after installing a BMW Jumo visible through the landing gear ports.

architect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 07:11 PM UTC
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 07:36 PM UTC
Antonatos what can I say but ...... DAYUM! That looks just stunning! The skill of my fellow modellers always leave my jaw agape. I'm lovin the Ta153 fella!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
Wow guys and gals some great work all round. Sam is still taking a hiatus from her what if as the decals have scarred her big style I however have managed to make a start on my Israeli Tomcat over the last few weeks. The fit of the kit isn't to great but I'm slowly working on it.

I decided to put the pilots in as I'm thinking of doing this as a wheels up build
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow guys and gals some great work all round. ...
I decided to put the pilots in as I'm thinking of doing this as a wheels up build

Allen, it looks like your rear-seat man agrees with your idea. Nice work in the cockpit. (I said "man", but does Israel put women in the cockpit too?)
-Sean H.
Krowa_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Województwo Gdanskie, Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 10:55 PM UTC
First of all, hi to everyone!

The campaign will finish soon, so I guess it is high time to start doing something. I will try to built PZL P.37 LOS in a 1939 Schneider Cup configuration. That means: floats, improved engines, streamlined fuselage, etc.
I hope to finish it before campaign will be over

Anyway, that's what I have done so far:

in-box

There is only 1 kit available in 1/72 that has been on market for a last 20 years, or more. The latest editions of this kit are worse and worse...

i started the fuselage...

wings...

engines...

more will come soon...
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:46 AM UTC
Wow, Marek. You didn't give yourself an easy task! Comparing the kit parts trees with what you've completed already though-- great work!
cheers!
-Sean H.