Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: What If? Campaign Thread
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 03:39 PM UTC
@Sean: Awesome work on the Corsair fella! Love the camo scheme and I'd love to see it on the real thing ...... hmmmm now I guess I'll have to go buy the 1/35th scale Elco PT boat! LOL and here I was looking for an exscuse!

@oraora: Nice work on the Kfir looks very .... deadly! The decals look great too!

@Jessie: Nice work on the traveller Jessie, are there other colours to go on? I can't see the runs you talk of but that simply be because it's gloss and they're hidden by the reflected light. I look forward to seeing it finished. And for that matter the windows you'll be forming for the Kermode.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
Thanks, Chris! If you go building an Elco boat, don't use brown like I did. If I read it right, the 3-color camo should be two greens and a black. I think I captured the shapes though. It certainly is unique and cool on an aircraft too!
Cheers!
-Sean.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:08 PM UTC
Wow some fgreat progress guys enjoying watching the builds progress

Sean the corsair looks fab, the camo certainly looks the part and it looks good as a floatplane

Ken the Kfir looks great some good work with the camo and decals it certainly is different and works well

Jessie some nice progress on the traveller ( I now have the Mellow Yellow song stuck in my head ) with regard to the carpet monster that sounds about right the last couple of times thats happened to me added the replacement then found the original.
The kermode is looking good to lookinf foward to seeing how the spotetrs window progresses I think I would find that well beyond my skills.

Still have not been ableto sit at the bench fingers crossed for this weekend
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:49 PM UTC
Take your time Sam the bench is going nowhere right now! LOL it is however good to see you back on the forum! Good luck with your build!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
I can do foruming laid down and balancing my laptop on me now I think Ive got it down to a fine art
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 05:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Sean's your cosair build is superb and the paint job is so original! The floats looks very convincing too.

Happy New Year to you all, may you complete more kits this coming year!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
Well I've enlisted.

I'm hoping to squeeze one in by the end of feb, Its going to be a Albatros DII what if, as in what if they hadnt gone down the Nieuport type wing arrangement and developed the DII instead.

I'll be using the Encore DII Boelke kit and some borrowed bits from the spares boxes of other builds. But I intend to keep it fairly reasable too.

Keith
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Sam, it's a change of plan for me as bench time has been very limited what with work over Christmas and New Year and the T-4MS not behaving.

So my plan is a what if F-14X Extreme Tomcat partly based on the planned F-14X ST21, I'll be using a spare Dragon 1/144 F-14D as the base, photo's tomorrow of the un-started kit.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Keith looking forward to seeing your entry take shape

Looking foward to seeing your new entry Lucky bad T-4MS for misbehaving
Lawnguylander
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 03:00 PM UTC

hi
all,

well, I've joined up- Hopefully I can do a SNCAO ACA.5 before the time is up- I think it is the ultimate WIFF project!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hello everyone, just reading everyone's posts and looking at all the terrific modeling being done here. I'm almost embarressed to post my finished Scottish A-10.

However, since it is done, and I did do it for this campaign, I'll let you all have a look at it.

This is the load out that everyone came up with, including the ram turbine airpowered automatic bagpipe and 3 Haggis bombs

A closer look at the load out and bagpipe

A close up of the nose art...

and lastly, a message to all the fighter jocks trying to sneak up behind this thing and shoot it down

And there it is folks, my what if Royal Scottish Air Force A-10 MkII. Special thanks to Sam and Jessie for their (outlandish ) weapons ideas and to Scott for his insperation for the national insignia.

Thanks guys, this was a fun one

Later
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
Bruce, that's absolutely delightful! I can just see it taxiing out on a braw bricht dae, ready to gie the Sassenachs a richt seein' tae.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC
OK as promised the before I start photo.

This is a Dragon 1/144 F-14D which will form the base for my project.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi all,

Just a quick post to show I'm doing something.

Basically, I like a few have wondered how Albatros might have developed had they not gone down the Nuieport style of main wing arrangement. Well this is my opinion, plus the secret development of the Mercedes X series V8 engine too. I just thought the plain DIII series engines needed a revamp

I'm pillaging parts from other Roden kits WNW kits and maybe the pilot might go in yet. though he seriously needs a good wash.

Everythings still in the *make it fit* stage so is quite rough but I'd like to think I can get it to fit without any real problems or leaving anything out.

The shorter engine of course leaves so much room for fuel ammo and even a radio?... Long distance high altitude interceptor?

Started here

Well thats all so far.

thoughts anyone?

Keith
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
OK no photos tonight but I'll try and get some up tomorrow. So far I've removed the tailplanes for remounting at a later date, reshaped the intakes, removed the rear cockpit, removed the mountings for the twin tails and started work on the vectored thrust units. Oh and applied filler to a few holes and gaps.

An hours work before I had to leave for a night shift

This should look different
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 03:02 AM UTC
Great work on your A-10, Bruce. Armed to the teeth or should I say, armed to the wings, that's how an A-10 should be!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Chelsey

Bruce fab work on the A-10 brought a smile to my face

Nice to see the new project Lucky

Keith great start on your project looking foward to see how it progresses
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 09:12 AM UTC
OK a couple of photo's showing work so far, the white plastic on the glove area is not the final shape but is a base to except filler which can then be shaped. The single seater will have the canopy cut down and the area of the second seat brought up to match the line of the aircraft 'razor back'.

Let me know what you think.

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And there it is folks, my what if Royal Scottish Air Force A-10 MkII. Special thanks to Sam and Jessie for their (outlandish ) weapons ideas and to Scott for his insperation for the national insignia.

Thanks guys, this was a fun one

Later

lord Bruce sir, that's brilliant!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
Thank you everyone
@Jessie, your Scots is much better than mine I must admit,
@Sam, glad I got a smile out of you. Hope you are feeling better
@Ken, you can thank the ladies her. They are the ones who came up with the idea of such unique weapons
@Jon, thank you
Later everyone, see you in 190 campaign

now where the heck is my Fw-190 A8 at?....
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 11:27 AM UTC
Bruce I love your A-10! I dread to think what a haggis bomb would do
Luciano, I'm looking forward to seeing your F-14. If only it had happened in real life.

Some progress has been made on my Rotodyne. The cut-away panels didn't fit as well as I'd hoped and have needed a fair bit of filling and sanding to smooth over the canyons. I tried out the technique of using masking tape to minimize mess when slapping the stuff on. Made filling a lot less messy than usual, can';t think why I never did it before.

I lost some rivet and panel detail, but considering the time thats left I might not bother going to the extent of rescribing and drilling them back in.
Works now started on the cockpit. I will be doing the rear doors closed so that also saves me time building up a cargo hold ( I might save that for my planned 'Nam era US Army Kaman Banshee if I can get hold of another of these kits). Should have her closed up and wings ready to be fitted by next week. I'm also toying with the idea of naming it the Westland Tempest or Tornado (it pre-dates Panavia's Tonka by a good couple of decades). I know we all know it as a Fairey product, but Westland inherited the design, along with its ever increasing costs, in the early 60's.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC
Finally got the gallery open and photos in! Thanks everyone for a fine campaign. I'm still checking in to see the excellent work continuing here.
cheers,
Sean H.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
I opened this box today. this project has been slow going.
It needed work on the tail pylon. Ive already done a few applications of putty to improve the shape and height of, and have just lashed the wing in position to gauge alignment.

also filling blowholes and other surfacing needed.
TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC

White on. The Gray circles are Lo-vis Hinamarus. I know that pink is technically the "correct" color in this case but I just thought gray would look better.

The F-14 is sweet. Love the rotodyne and I am very curious to see the C-2 develop
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
Ben, this is a brilliant looking model. I agree, the dark grey hinomaru works well in this scheme, especially if its Stealth. Is it nuclear capable in this alternative history?? Nice link to fantastic plastic, they have a nice collection of old SF kits.
Glad you like the Rotodyne, is proving to need a lot more filling than I had first thought. Currently working on the engine to wing join and is has gaps that look like the grand canyon!