Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Phabulous Phantoms Campaign
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 11:40 AM UTC
I have just about finished fixing the damage to my kit and seeing as there is not much to the cockpit I am modifying the cockpit from a Hasegawa kit to fit, should work well as the Esci cockpit has no detail and the floor is to high to use AM seats. I had to trim some of the cockpit away(it's behind a bulkhead so won't be seen) and I had to cut the top off the wheel well to lower it, I sanded down the wheel well then put the top back on.

Cheers Rob.

Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gorgeous Andy

Thanks Neil
I've been in a real slump lately and lost my build mojo but I really wanted to finish this baby in time as its such a super kit and your comment "Gorgeous" has given me a kick up the arse and got my mojo back to carry on with other builds
my new camera is s t ,or is that I cant work it!,but the Phant does look better in the flesh!
Andy
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
There really is some great work appearing here!

Right, just a quick heads up everyone. Like the rest of you, I am working towards the end of month deadline, and I'm fairly confident that I will make it. However, real life has intruded, as it so often does. My paternal Grandfather passed away last Saturday morning. I would say that he, more than anyone else, is responsible for my lifelong love of aircraft and model making. He was in the RAF, serving as a mid upper turret gunner on Lancasters at the very end of the war. After the war, he stayed on, and became involved in the development of British atomic bombs, in Singapore and Australia, during the 1950's. Lately, he contracted a rare form of Prostate Cancer, which is known only to affect people who worked with atomic weapons, yet our government, and the MOD refuse to recognise the link between atomic weapons and this form of cancer. There is a legal campaign to get this recognised, but it would seem that the government will drag its heels just long enough for all the men and women of that generation to die, and it would appear to be working.

Apologies for ranting and rambling. I dedicate my work on this campaign to the memory of a great man, Richard Alfred Charters, may he rest in peace. I will be away Tuesday to Thursday of next week for the funeral. Hopefully I should have my pics up by then, but if not I would like to request a couple of extra days to complete.

Good luck everyone!
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
@ Lee: My condolatory to your grandpa! As everybody who serves in a war and suffers on a desease related to his Job he has my full respect!

To all in this campaign: Good and fast work everybody, very nice outcome on your kits - well, as I can see there are still some kits on the workbench. So is mine and it seems that I cannot finish my task in time. In the name of everybody, who is still masking, sanding, painting, marking etc. - what about an extension on this campaign...?

Tom
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi There spook lovers! Ok then what should I build? I have sufficient stock and decals for literally any, except HAF because I don't have the decals yet. I may have slowed down considerably but didn't quit my long term Phantoms over the Nations project, this means ı have already did some. As far as I can see we have Japanese, USN, USAF, RAF, IDF, and Spanish... So if anyone not volunteering for Iran or Korea I can take one, or I can go patriotic and build a TuAF one....

Quoted Text

Also, anyone considering a Hellenic AF or RAA"F-4"

Welcome Frederick and Yalym, I am planning to do a HAF ex-Luftwaffe RF-4E.
Frederick - if you do an RAAF RF-4E that would be awesome.
Yalym - Unless someone comes along and bags one of those 3 I would say feel free to choose yourself.

Andy - I am in no way promoting favouritism, but I'm really really looking forward to seeing you doing that Academy F-4B

Sorry if this has already been bought up, but the RAAF never operated the RF-4E, only the F-4E.

On another note, which is the best 1/72 F-4E kit?

Although I do have Tamiya's 1/32 F-4E in the stash...
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 08:45 PM UTC
Rob - I'm impressed by the effort you're putting into this.

Andy - I've seen your work before, so I know what you're capable of. Glad I helped get you over the hump (we all go there occasionally)

Lee - sorry about your Grandad. Modelling is just a hobby we fit in around real life.

Warren - yes my RF-4E typo has already been pointed out

The best 1/72 F-4E is Hasegawa, but it is very fiddly and over-engineered. Fujimi F-4E is simpler but not as detailed. I don't think you'll get time to do a 1/32 Phantom....

Speaking of time.... YES THERE WILL BE AN EXTENSION!!

There are enough posters (me included!) who are rushing to meet the deadline to warrant it IMO. 2 Weeks sound enough for everyone?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 08:58 PM UTC
I see what you mean Neil!

I doubt I would get a 1/72 one done as I would have to order one or obtain one from the LHS, then get the decals from Hawkeye decals.. With just 5 days to go I will have to wait for Phabulous Phantoms II I think..

Cheers anyway
Warren
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
AeroScale: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
am going to be pushing this to the last second had to strip off decals and replace a drop tank that didn't want to stay in its place trying to get touch up painting finished ugh.

Sascha(Ironowl)
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 10:41 AM UTC
Don't worry about me, I'm stalled at just about the cockpit stage. If I didn't have anything else to do for the next 2 weeks I doubt I could make it...
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 11:45 AM UTC
Should have new decals on sometime tonight and will be finished . this will be the first Plane kit that I have finished in a long long while. had some minor warping of the tail section and a few gaps to fill but other than that she was a nice kit to Build. was going for the Navy Phantom but I Messed up some of the decals so I am using the Marine Corps set that also came with the kit. again yall have really got some nice Builds finished and in the works.

Sascha (Ironowl)
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC

shes done whew

Sascha (Ironowl)
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC

Heres a second shot of her overall happy with my build I learned a few things about brush painting and fitting with this build. I had fun and enjoyed it building my own and watching everyone else build theres.

Sascha(Ironowl)
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
Very nice Sascha, I love the USN Phantoms with the white radome.

And I see you've added your pics to the gallery, good man!

My Phantom is awaiting primer, unfortunately its dark when I go to work, and its dark when I get home!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Sascha, I love the USN Phantoms with the white radome.

And I see you've added your pics to the gallery, good man!

My Phantom is awaiting primer, unfortunately its dark when I go to work, and its dark when I get home!

You could always move here over your winter Neil..
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 02:50 PM UTC
I've got the base coat on the cockpit, hope to get a lot done on Thurs, Friday my days off.

Cheers Rob.
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:35 AM UTC
Greetings Phantom Phans! I have to say, I am very grateful for the two weeks extension, it really has relieved the pressure, and means I can take time over the finishing touches. Right now , I am working on the canopies, masking inside and out, and adding the last few bits of Aires photo etch. After that, I'll be giving the beast a coat of future, and then it'll be time for a marathon decalling session.

Good luck everyone!
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 01:10 PM UTC
Still working on the cockpit and the intakes

My eyes are not cooperating but I'm getting there I hope if I push this I can finish by Friday night.

I am using the splitter plates from a Hasegawa kit and found that the Esci plastic is quite brittle. It's a bit of work but should look good when finished.

Cheers Rob.

ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 05:01 AM UTC
All righty then, I'm calling this one done! The stencilling was a ballache, but it's all on in the right place. I had the usual last minute SNAFU when I unmasked the windshield, and it came off. Then I glued it back on, and it fogged (cue one highly impressive and descriptive bout of model makers tourettes! ).

Anyhow, it's done, it was mostly fun, and it's the biggest plane on my shelf:

Best of luck everyone!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC
A few drops of Future/Kleer can help to reduce most of that fogging.
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
Well done Lee
Super Phantom
b17-peter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 696 posts
AeroScale: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done Lee
Super Phantom

Nothing to add! Just brilliant, Lee
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 03:17 AM UTC
Cheers chaps!
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 11:48 AM UTC
Ok,

I am not going to finish.

Cheers Rob.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 06:49 AM UTC
Lee very nice! And good to see you've uploaded your pics to the gallery.

Rob - how close are you to finishing?

Me, I was stuck for the best part of 2 weeks as I was unable to get outside in daylight + clear weather to spray a coat of primer. Finally got it done on Tuesday and been cooking with gas ever since, despite airbrush playing up.

I'm going to give this till the weekend to see if any more stragglers finish, then hand out everyones ribbons.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 10:56 AM UTC
I don't think I can finish, something has come up that is taking away my modelling time. I did manage to find a throttle in my F-22 kit and made a mold to cast some copies for my F-4's.

Cheers Rob.