_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
3DPrinting & Aeroscale
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,
We were invited to join the Wings900 aircraft forum as some of the members there requested we build them some 1:500, 1:400 and 1:200 aircraft not currently available elsewhere. We are 3D Printing Modellers so we have built a range of models for that forum group and I hope it might also interest some members here. These models are designed for those of you who want to customise your own aircraft and we supply them either on sprues or as fully assembled aircraft. Hope this is of interest and please have a look at our online shop for the full range of our models

http://printedplanes.moonfruit.com/

We are in the process of uploading images to our gallery of a small selection of the models we have sold and our customers have customised. We will update this section very often so please check back for new images.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi,
Just thought I would add that we do take model requests for orders of 5 aircraft or more so please feel free to contact us to talk about a model that may not be listed on our site. Happy Printing.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi Adam

Thanks for posting. 3D Printing opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I've certainly got some "dream machines" that seem destined never to see the light of day as mainstream kits...

All the best

Rowan
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
We hope so too. Please check out our shop as some of your 'dream machines' might be already there waiting for you

SAAB 2000 anyone?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
Due to the scales Adam drop us a line if you release any ship borne aircraft and I will get news published on MSW on them.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:56 AM UTC
HI,
We are happy to model any kind of aircraft, if you give me a couple of models you'd personally like to see I can get them modelled for you. Also what scales would you like them at?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
Would you accept orders for parts? I'm envisioning modellers submitting 3D CAD files of detail parts which they could have printed for their projects.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC
Adam I am filling in on MSW while until someone better comes along, and as such my knowledge of the wants is limited. I suggest you make a post on the site which accepts the same details you have signed into Aeroscale with, and ask the members there for their wishlists. Scales I believe would be 1/200th, 1/350th and 1/700th.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hi,
We would be able to do this absolutely, 3d modelling for 3D Printing is a very specific process but we could help update or tweak files to make them printable for members.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Flood Lights now available

Hi Everyone,
We have just added our first GSE model to our shop. Our flood lights are available at incredible prices and in packs of 10, 25 and 50 to suit everyone's needs. Happy Printing.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 07:24 PM UTC
Hi Adam,
So are you saying that we can ask for a particular aircraft and you will print it, in any scale?

Whereabouts are you in the South West?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC
What are the fine detail limitations? What I'd really like to see is engines in 1/72 and 1/48...
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
I am interested in the SAAB 2000, can you quote a price for that design printed in 1:144 scale?

3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Adam,
So are you saying that we can ask for a particular aircraft and you will print it, in any scale?

Whereabouts are you in the South West?

Hi,
Yes we are able to take on commissions for any aircraft at any scale. All we ask is that for individual commissions that our client orders at least 5 aircraft so that we can cover the costs of modelling the aircraft. Also it means we can offer the models at a fair price. For example it costs us £40 to print a single SAAB 2000 at 1:200 scale yet we sell them for £25 each. This is possible by printing them in batches thus reducing the overall cost for us which we pass onto you.

We are based in Bristol in the South West of England.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the fine detail limitations? What I'd really like to see is engines in 1/72 and 1/48...

Hi,
The limitations are based on your expectations of a material and the material you choose. The material we build our aircraft from is called Frosted Detail and can show detail as small as 0.1mm so really incredibly detailed. It can also make parts 0.3mm thick so if you imagine 1:700 aircraft wings they get really small. The downside is like all plastics at this size it is not very strong and as the thickness increases the strength increases so on our models we make the parts thick enough so they are strong but as the smaller scale aircraft are still quite thin they are fragile.

We can model engines at any scale you want with the maximum amount of detail that the material can achieve. What engines did you have in mind and did you want them as a single piece or on a sprue? Also how many were you looking for?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
I'm not really sure really... I just know that beyond Eduards new db601 most any aftermarket engine is not as good as modern technology should be able to get. And many, many engines simply aren't available. I'm going to buy one or two ha-115's and homares.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not really sure really... I just know that beyond Eduards new db601 most any aftermarket engine is not as good as modern technology should be able to get. And many, many engines simply aren't available. I'm going to buy one or two ha-115's and homares.

If you are able to email me through some images of the engines including some dimensions and what scale you want them in we can look at making them for you. Email is [email protected]
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
You might also want to consider aircraft ordnance at 1/72 and 1/48, that has not been done by any other after market manufacturer.
Off the top of my head I can think of RAF WWII depth charges. Despite the popularity of Coastal Command decal options in a lot of bomber kits (eg Revell's 1/72 Halifax and Hasegawa's Liberator GR.IV), no one has yet to produce these all important weapons to hang in their bomb bays!

I'm sure a lot of other modelers will have suggestions too.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might also want to consider aircraft ordnance at 1/72 and 1/48, that has not been done by any other after market manufacturer.
Off the top of my head I can think of RAF WWII depth charges. Despite the popularity of Coastal Command decal options in a lot of bomber kits (eg Revell's 1/72 Halifax and Hasegawa's Liberator GR.IV), no one has yet to produce these all important weapons to hang in their bomb bays!

I'm sure a lot of other modelers will have suggestions too.

We are happy to model this for you. Are you able to email me through some images and dimensions for this and we can then get it built. My email address is [email protected]
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:26 PM UTC
Try as I might I cannot find any dimensions, but a ball park figure at 1/72 scale would be around 25mm in length by 6mm diameter. That's a guess going from photo's. To give you an idea of what the resin manufacturers, such as Pavla for example, would sell them at might be around £5-6 for a pack of 6. Certainly no more than £10. 1/48 would be more given the increase in size. Unfortunately they have yet to do any. I know printing is more costly, but that's the pricing range any competitor working in resin would be asking the consumer. Bits and pieces like bombs, engines, props etc.. would benefit from the greater degree of detail and should be popular.
Taking on board what you said earlier about producing in large batches to cut costs, a lot of the larger aircraft would carry fairly substantial loads of these Depth Charges. A Halifax could carry about 8 maximum, a Liberator much more! In the photo there are 2 trolleys with 4 each and what looks to be a third just out of shot.
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try as I might I cannot find any dimensions, but a ball park figure at 1/72 scale would be around 25mm in length by 6mm diameter. That's a guess going from photo's. To give you an idea of what the resin manufacturers, such as Pavla for example, would sell them at might be around £5-6 for a pack of 6. Certainly no more than £10. 1/48 would be more given the increase in size. Unfortunately they have yet to do any. I know printing is more costly, but that's the pricing range any competitor working in resin would be asking the consumer. Bits and pieces like bombs, engines, props etc.. would benefit from the greater degree of detail and should be popular.
Taking on board what you said earlier about producing in large batches to cut costs, a lot of the larger aircraft would carry fairly substantial loads of these Depth Charges. A Halifax could carry about 8 maximum, a Liberator much more! In the photo there are 2 trolleys with 4 each and what looks to be a third just out of shot.

I have made a rough model of this shape to estimate printing costs. We would make the models hollow to keep the printing costs down. Here is what we could offer.

1/72 Scale - Pack of 8 = £10 & Postage
1/72 Scale - Pack of 16 = £15 & Postage

1/48 Scale - Pack of 8 = £15 & Postage
1/48 Scale - Pack of 16 = £20 & Postage

How do those prices sound? We'd print in a polished white material.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 12:12 AM UTC
I already wrote this in another post but it is ertainly relevant for this post as well:

There are heaps of subjects barely considered by the classic model manufacturers like:

- Anti Aircraft Artillery,
- radar,
- airfield installations,
- airfield fire brigade,
- Surface to air missiles,
- complete jet or turboprop engines,
- maintenance scaffolding and equipment,
- trucks, ...

All in 1/48 scale, of course

If you could make decent models of e.g. The Nike Hercules, or a hawk battery, or the oerlikon AAA, or even a Vulcan gun then that could possibly become a good product, and those things would not be all too big in 1/48 either.

3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I already wrote this in another post but it is ertainly relevant for this post as well:

There are heaps of subjects barely considered by the classic model manufacturers like:

- Anti Aircraft Artillery,
- radar,
- airfield installations,
- airfield fire brigade,
- Surface to air missiles,
- complete jet or turboprop engines,
- maintenance scaffolding and equipment,
- trucks, ...

All in 1/48 scale, of course

If you could make decent models of e.g. The Nike Hercules, or a hawk battery, or the oerlikon AAA, or even a Vulcan gun then that could possibly become a good product, and those things would not be all too big in 1/48 either.

Hi,
Thanks for your posting in the forum. We are happy to model any object at any scale if forum members feel they would sell well. If you can send me an email with the details of one of your suggestions then we can model that one for you, we prefer to model items that are not currently available elsewhere. My email address is [email protected]
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:30 AM UTC
Bristol bloodhound missile isn't available...
3DPrinting
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bristol bloodhound missile isn't available...

Ok we will build this for 1/72 scale and 1/48 scale and let you know when its available (in the next two days). Just to clafify, the missile will be able to be separated from the launch platform. What RRP do you think this should be? We will be limited to what it costs to print but its worth knowing what other mainstream models go for at this scale.
 _GOTOTOP