Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Building Tamiya's 1/48 Lancaster
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC
Niiiiice work! You did the painted markings spot on. Always amazed about Mal's masks. Wish he would send me some to try out...
And a very good progress on that beast. Overall look is already beautiful!
Thomas
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:27 PM UTC
Thanks Thomas, the masks are indeed amazing and give you such a sharp finish that I was badly missing with the home made decals. I've not given up on making my own decals forever but for the simple shapes that code letters and national markings usually are it's masks all the way !
Thanks go to Mal himself for doing all the hard work. I'll keep buying from him in the future
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
I agree, nice job on the sprayed-on markings!
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Thanks Tim ! Good of you to drop in and look.
I've been a little busy this week and I've a change of work schedule coming up that will shift my free time around a bit but further work on the markings tomorrow I hope.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 12:33 AM UTC
Very good work, Paul! Great appearence of those roundels.
... and the learning curve rises ... never use masks or tape over applied decals
Thomas
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 05:58 AM UTC
I have come to the conclusion that it is much easier to mask and spray walk ways rather then use decals , can never get them straight . Which is weird for some one who has done a lot of rib tapes on WW 1 German subjects .

She is looking sharp so far

Terri
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very good work, Paul! Great appearence of those roundels.
... and the learning curve rises ... never use masks or tape over applied decals
Thomas

Thanks Thomas. Yes, Thats a good rule but when I applied the walkway decals I didn't imagine that I'd be back to the painting stage again. This model has evolved time and again since the start!
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have come to the conclusion that it is much easier to mask and spray walk ways rather then use decals , can never get them straight . Which is weird for some one who has done a lot of rib tapes on WW 1 German subjects .

She is looking sharp so far

Terri

Thank you Terri, high praise indeed after seeing your recent builds.
I think I'll end up masking and painting a lot more as I've never really been happy with the results of my decal work.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 03:16 PM UTC
Another significant milestone. Thanks again to Mal for the masks without which the build just wouldn't have had as nice a finish as I felt it deserved.

NewHolland
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 09:33 PM UTC
I have been a student of the Lancaster since the mid sixties and have built over ten of the Tamiya lancs and explored and photographed two of them inside and out, but I have never seen one built to this standard. Well done.

Steve
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC
Paul,
for some reason the subscribe feature doesn't always work for me, and I've missed s few of your recent updates.

Mal's masks really made such a huge difference, it's like night & day. the finished look is truly outstanding.

I certainly agree with Terri about painting walkways or any stripe over decaling if possible. As you've found out, decals have a tendency to lift when tape is applied over them even with several coats of Clear sealer.

Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been a student of the Lancaster since the mid sixties and have built over ten of the Tamiya lancs and explored and photographed two of them inside and out, but I have never seen one built to this standard. Well done.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve that's very kind indeed.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
for some reason the subscribe feature doesn't always work for me, and I've missed s few of your recent updates.

Mal's masks really made such a huge difference, it's like night & day. the finished look is truly outstanding.

I certainly agree with Terri about painting walkways or any stripe over decaling if possible. As you've found out, decals have a tendency to lift when tape is applied over them even with several coats of Clear sealer.

Joel

Hi Joel, yeah the walkway decals lifting was a horrid moment but it's turned out for the best as the newly painted strips are now the same 'scale black' as the rest of the model and don't attract the eye the way the dead black decals did.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC
I do like to see painted on markings, these seem to be particularly good I'm sorry about the lifting walk ways, I didn't think and I could ahve supplied those as well. If I had know that they were already applied I would have suggested de-tacking the upper wing roundel masks which may have prevented them being lifted:(

Quoted Text

Niiiiice work! You did the painted markings spot on. Always amazed about Mal's masks. Wish he would send me some to try out...
And a very good progress on that beast. Overall look is already beautiful!
Thomas

Well if you have a similarly outstanding project where masks are needed then it is a possibility Alternatively you could actually buy a set! And take advantage of the Kitmaker discount. There is an even better deal to be had by joining the Bulldogs
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well if you have a similarly outstanding project where masks are needed then it is a possibility Alternatively you could actually buy a set! And take advantage of the Kitmaker discount. There is an even better deal to be had by joining the Bulldogs

Thanks a lot, Mal! Really appreciate but not sure if a German shepherd feels comfortable in a pack of Bulldogs
I'll come back to the matter - some Spits are in row to be build...

Paul: fantastic progress!

Thomas
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do like to see painted on markings, these seem to be particularly good I'm sorry about the lifting walk ways, I didn't think and I could ahve supplied those as well. If I had know that they were already applied I would have suggested de-tacking the upper wing roundel masks which may have prevented them being lifted:(

No worries Mal, I had assumed that the couple of coats of Future would have been enough protection but I have been burnishing down your masks pretty hard to be sure of a good seal. The walkways are simple to self mask anyhow as there is raised detail on the wing to guide you.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:17 PM UTC
Now comes the task of attaching all the parts too delicate to withstand the amount of handling that this big beast of a model needed to paint.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC
Paul,
Those flaps really do look quite good. It's rather nice to see all the parts finally coming together.
Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Thanks Joel ! It's very satisfying now to be approaching the end and bringing all the parts together !

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 10:29 PM UTC
Paul,
Installation of the landing gear is another major milestone in crossing the finish line. Everyday seems like another major step.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:07 PM UTC
Paul,
Those markings look excellent! Good masks certainly look nicer than decals! It's nice to see the pieces coming together.

Gaz
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC
Great work on the custom decals and the masks. Beautiful thus far!

Jelger