KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Installation of the landing gear is another major milestone in crossing the finish line. Everyday seems like another major step.

Joel

For sure, there are a number of small jobs still to complete but each one is do-able in a short session so progress should come thick and fast right to the end!
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Those markings look excellent! Good masks certainly look nicer than decals! It's nice to see the pieces coming together.

Gaz

Thanks once again Gaz, I'm really pleased with the markings. At the end of the day the markings define the individual aircraft and I was concerned about getting them right and doing the historical aspect justice. Spending so long on the model and immersing myself in the research has really connected me to the plane, her pilot, and crew.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on the custom decals and the masks. Beautiful thus far!

Jelger

Many thanks Jelger, I really appreciate it!
I'm still blown away by all the compliments and kind comments guys... I still feel like a newly-returned-to-modelling novice but I know this build has taught me so much.
NewHolland
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hi Paul, if you look at photos of Lancasters landing gear and the struts that pull the doors closed, I think you will find that they attach to the main landing gear struts much lower down.
Regards

Steve
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Paul, if you look at photos of Lancasters landing gear and the struts that pull the doors closed, I think you will find that they attach to the main landing gear struts much lower down.
Regards

Steve

You are quite right...
I was looking at reference the right way up and then looking at the model upside down and not referring back to the reference.
Shouldn't be hard to fix so thanks for spotting that !
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 02:48 PM UTC
A fresh pair of eyes helps sometimes, Thanks Steve ! Also managed to get a little more scratchbuilding in at this late stage!

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:22 PM UTC
Paul,
The landing gear and turret really do like quite good. Any bit of added detail that is so clearly visible adds a lot towards fooling the viewers eye.

Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
Thanks Joel!
A few more last minute additions and the model is getting very delicate to handle

KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 09:38 PM UTC
We're very nearly there folks !
A little work on the bomb aimers blister window in the nose and the fuselage "lid" and canopy, a couple more decals and I'll call this finished. (I've decided against a shading wash in the end, I can't bear to risk ruining the paintwork and markings ! )
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC
Paul,
The details are really making quite a difference when one takes a good look at your Lancaster.

As for another all light misting of a wash, I usually do it with a air brush, but since you've removed the masking from the clear parts, better off just leaving it as is.

Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
Well, I'd been planning a sludge wash especially to bring out all the detail on the wing surfaces but I don't think trying that for the first time on this model would be the best idea.

Who knows, once I've experimented with the technique on some more throwaway models I may come back and do it on the Lanc in the future.

But then again, I've thrown caution to the wind time and again in this blog with new techniques and gotten away with it ! I may see-saw on this decision over the coming days....
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC

* apart from a couple of decals under the wings and a last clear coat to seal them in
I've decided not to weather the wings with the typical exhaust stains as it just doesn't seem to be that kind of model somehow.

Better photos to follow !
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 02:52 AM UTC
Paul,
Looking forward to your final set of pictures. The Big Lancaster looks tremendous. Don't forget to take some with the top off.

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:51 AM UTC
Paul - Well done ! Been watching all along and anxious to see more of the interior- beautiful model in all respects .

Cheers ! Richard
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:02 AM UTC
Paul,
She looks great! Looking forward to the final pictures!

Gaz

Next you have to build a standard Lanc. I've always found the dorsal turret installation and fairing very interesting.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 04:10 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
I think i mentioned this somewhere in the blog months ago but out of a perverse curiosity i kept a rough count of parts added.
The kit parts amounted to 220....
I added a grand total of about 750 parts of my own with the majority coming from the flaps, stringers and formers.
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Simply awesome mate - looks really good. Well done on an excellent [and most entertaining] build.

Looking forward to the next project.

Regards,
Kobus
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC
Many thanks Kobus, I'm glad you found it entertaining!
I'll likely do more blogs in a similar way in the future : stumbling through a build learning as I go.... If I can share a couple of discoveries along the way and have fun so much the better !

As far as my next project I'm dipping my toe into the waters of shipbuilding for the Pearl Harbour anniversary campaign as it holds a bit of a resonance with me as it also happens to be the anniversary of my birth (not 1941 I hasten to add... but the 7th of December)
Never fear though as I am an aviation modeller at heart and will very soon be back in the skies with some as-yet undreamed of project.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
Paul,

this is really a great built You have done here! Cheers and congrats to finishing . I guess, next You have to built some bigger shelves. I still remenber this huge Black Bird of the Lookheed campaign. Would be fun to see these two models on a picture to see the dimensions.

Oliver
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
Cheers Oliver, I'll see if I can get a photo of the two birds together for you tomorrow
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:06 PM UTC
Tried a photo for you Oliver but you cant really get the scale... It's hard photographing one model this size but two???

What I found interesting was that these two planes were designed only a matter of twenty years apart !
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:12 PM UTC
Whilst there are more photos to come it's time for the money shot!

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
A magnificent build, Paul- thanks for the detailed sbs- and cheers!

chuk
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tried a photo for you Oliver but you cant really get the scale... It's hard photographing one model this size but two???

What I found interesting was that these two planes were designed only a matter of twenty years apart !

Paul,
thank You very much for the photo. These birds are really huge! And yes, the small timeframe of 20 years between these aircrafts is amazing!

Oliver
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
Paul,
A truly outstanding build. When I say impressive I mean it. The two for shot is amazing in itself. I'm betting that the SR-71 is just a tad faster, and can fly a little higher.

So what's the next project to cross your workbench?

Joel